Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season IV - Red Sox swept by the Blue Jays today and are now 29-37 at home.....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I cannot understand why they can't win at home.

I don't get it.
kills me

They’ve been downright beasts on the road and whatever the opposite of that is at Fenway.

very frustrating season with the way they’ve lost some games but I am much more optimistic going forward given a lot of the value the Sox are getting has come from young players under team control who are improving. They were carried by young core guys, which is a good thing. I feel better about their high minors pitching depth next season. I’m excited to see Anthony/Mayer/Campbell/Teel infused into the roster next year. Doesn’t really change the frustrating feeling one has from today though

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Another year with no meaningful baseball in September.
The collapse is extremely disappointing.

Yeah, the wheels have come off. But that was more likely than the opposite. fangraphs playoff-predictions always had them in the lower 30-40% range.

Another stupid decision to be buyers at the deadline. The additions either suck or are unavailable as expected (Paxton) and they have to sign Rich Hill for the like tenth time.

The only saving grace for this team may be the farm. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, because it's hard to have any kind of faith in this front office. But sure, Mr. "pitching backwards" Andrew Bailey is a wizard and Breslow can talk smart and ambiguously.
Were they really buyers though? Not in my book. To me it was another half assed deadline where this time they added but nothing significant and probably didn't give up anything significant either.

Reactions: EverettMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
kills me

They’ve been downright beasts on the road and whatever the opposite of that is at Fenway.

very frustrating season with the way they’ve lost some games but I am much more optimistic going forward given a lot of the value the Sox are getting has come from young players under team control who are improving. They were carried by young core guys, which is a good thing. I feel better about their high minors pitching depth next season. I’m excited to see Anthony/Mayer/Campbell/Teel infused into the roster next year. Doesn’t really change the frustrating feeling one has from today though
If Mayer magically stays healthy

Getting Ellsbury vibes

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Just more terrible baseball played at home.

Was Refsnyder pulling a Bernie Carbo, overly enjoying himself in the clubhouse when he didn't think he would have to play tonight?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I just got home from the game.

I always have a ball at Fenway, but man did the wheels fall off the in the top of the fifth.

Goodnight, all.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I know this is nerdy, but please indulge me.......I play Men's Senior League baseball and my favorite wood bat is a 32" 2021 Model Rawlings Big Stick Elite Birch with an I13 turn. I had 2 to start the season and started the year hitting around .350. A teammate of mine really liked it so I traded him one of my 2 for a pair of brand new Foo Fighters Custom High Top Vans (Pretty good deal, so I thought..).

Right after that, I cracked my other one. No big deal, I thought, I'll just by another so I got a 2023 model of the same bat. Its a different year and a different color but a bat's a bat, right?

Wrong. I proceeded to go 0-10 in my next 3 games. All weak-ass ground balls that never left the infield. So, I go on Amazon and start looking for the 2021 model and find one and buy it. In my next 3 games, I go 8-9 with 2 doubles and a triple. On my last at bat, I get a slider in on the hands and muscle it over the 3B head into left field for my 8th hit and the bat cracks. I knew it when I hit it. It died a hero.

As soon as I got home, I scoured the internet for 2021 models and just bought 5 of them. Am I nuts?

1724735163632.png
1724735308888.png

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
LOL thanks. I was starting to worry. I never got this way about hockey sticks.......
I'd love to try playing in a baseball beer league or something but I have a bunch of metal in my lower right leg and ankle from a car accident back in 2012 and sprinting/running isn't exactly my forte anymore because I lost a lot of motion in my ankle. I mean I can if it's an emergency but I couldn't do it for fun I don't think. Cartilage loss etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoccoF14

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I know this is nerdy, but please indulge me.......I play Men's Senior League baseball and my favorite wood bat is a 32" 2021 Model Rawlings Big Stick Elite Birch with an I13 turn. I had 2 to start the season and started the year hitting around .350. A teammate of mine really liked it so I traded him one of my 2 for a pair of brand new Foo Fighters Custom High Top Vans (Pretty good deal, so I thought..).

Right after that, I cracked my other one. No big deal, I thought, I'll just by another so I got a 2023 model of the same bat. Its a different year and a different color but a bat's a bat, right?

Wrong. I proceeded to go 0-10 in my next 3 games. All weak-ass ground balls that never left the infield. So, I go on Amazon and start looking for the 2021 model and find one and buy it. In my next 3 games, I go 8-9 with 2 doubles and a triple. On my last at bat, I get a slider in on the hands and muscle it over the 3B head into left field for my 8th hit and the bat cracks. I knew it when I hit it. It died a hero.

As soon as I got home, I scoured the internet for 2021 models and just bought 5 of them. Am I nuts?

View attachment 903386View attachment 903387
I loved reading this. You’re not nuts at all. This is one of the most baseball things I’ve ever read.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Anyone have the Sox interleague record at home? I ask this because Braford mentioned how hyped the visitors are to play at fenway. AL teams are probably used to it, but still play off of it. NL teams its probably more of an energy boost. Plus now all teams have a ton of fans there too.

Reactions: rfournier103

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
29-37 at home 38-27 on the road is baffling.

:banghead:

Absolutely unacceptable. Bullpen has been brutal. Yes fenway is a hitters ballpark but you need to shut the door and not blow leads like they have or offensively leave men on base as much as they do too.

What they need is right handed hitters. Fenway is a great for RHB'ers. The problem Is we have none of those

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sox hitters with more strikeouts than hits:

O'Neill - 84 hits 122 K's (yikes!)
Abreau - 84 hits 101 K's
Casas - 33 hits 43 K's
Hamilton - 72 hits 79 K's
Rafaela - 119 hits 121 K's
Refsnyder - 71 hits 71 K's

O'Neill is at a Joey Gallo level.

Refsnyder has been coming on lately with some especially ugly at bats.

Rafaela with only 15 walks, a staggeringly bad walk to strikeout ratio.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
what you're seeing defensively, and that includes all of us, is this: everyone is looking for the "Web Gem" AS ESPN calls it, the" Premier Play" as MLB Network calls it that the routine plays aren't being made as routine as it is supposed to be..... we celebrate the Duran and Rafaela highlight gems but overall, and you saw last night Devers trying to lead by example defensively whether it was Hamilton or Gasper, who probably was rushed up here because of the prospects being promoted to Worcester from Portland.... Alex and the coaches aren't here to teach these players how to make the routine plays.... that's the flaw in this club at the present time....

nice job last night by Emma and Rylee to call a major league game as it looked seamless to what these ladies were doing at Portland, as radio and TV PBP/Analyst is totally different...

tonight: AA is in Harrisburg;

AAA Worcester host the M A S H inspired Toledo Mud Hens to Polar Park and tonight's game in Worcester is on NESN+

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I was hoping to be within 3 games when the twins come to town on the 20th, not looking very promising...

Heck, even the Tigers are making a run. Easy schedule is not so easy with this team.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI

View attachment 903386View attachment 903387
Interesting story but I’ll say two things which contradict each other:

1 - Wood from different years can reflect different quality, density, etc.
2 - It’s not the hammer, it’s the carpenter (used that many a time when I was coaching)

Glad to see you have a good stock of those to use for a while!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

2 - It’s not the hammer, it’s the carpenter (used that many a time when I was coaching)

#1 above is definitely true. The 2023 version is slightly heavier and a little more end loaded than the 2021. Not by much, but noticeable. I had no idea that the same bat, same wood, same turn would be different year over year. At first I thought I was just making things up in my head, but I had another teammate hold them both and he said the same thing.....

By the way, Yogi was right. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.....

Last edited:

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

This is one of the very best posts I’ve ever read here.

I’m serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad