2024 Prospect Poll #1

Who is the Sabres' best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Levi currently laps the competition.

My question is, what about Helenius makes him better than Ostlund? Recency?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
At risk of oversimplifying, Ostlund and Helenius seem like mirrored offensive and defensive versions in the same tier of middle six C prospect.

Ostlund is a better skater, better vision, better skill package. Helenius is more powerful, better defensively, more heart and soul. And there's plenty of overlap in their games.

Ostlund is two years further along in his development without really faltering or breaking out yet. Helenius obviously hasn't had the opportunity to do either yet.

I imagine I have them closer than most here. Ostlund was #30-50 on most league-wide rankings last season. Very interested to see where each lands on new lists in a few months.

EDIT: I should say I have Helenius just ahead because he has the physical make-up to basically already have a floor as an NHLer. It's a big head start for a draftee, as long as he isn't close to the end of his runway. Ostlund still has to reach that milestone, but his ceiling remains huge. He was electric against top comp at WJC24.

Last edited:

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
One man's humble request: I liked when the list used to include the runner up and the percentage of the winning prospect, along with the change from last year's rank. Tight way to tell the whole story.

Ex: 1. Devin Levi, G -- 58.5% (+1), Runner up: Jiri Kulich

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I can't tell if I am not high on prospects, indifferent, or don't care about prospects anymore. I am looking at this list like I have no clue how I am ranking these anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad