2024 preseason (camp, media stuff)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Went to the scrimmage today. My thoughts:
  • Celebrini as advertised. Didn't get much help from his D moving the puck during the first part of scrimmage so was mostly in his d-zone against the Smith line. But then turned it on later in the scrimmage and is definitely a level above anyone else right now.
  • Smith was very impressive too. Didn't pay attention to much to him in D zone but didn't see anything glaring. But in transition and offensive zone he is a magician. He walked right by me on the way to Tech CU. I know he is on skates and in pads. But I'm 6'0 and he seemed much bigger than me and definitely NHL size.
  • Dickinson was solid. Nothing spectacular. Got beat by Celebrini on a speed rush down the boards. But other than that didn't look out of place.
  • Musty was great in the o zone. But in d zone and in transition always seemed to be chasing the play. Really needs to work on his first step.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Sturm gives a fair bit of commentary here about changes to the D zone system. The key seems to be: "when you get the puck in your zone, quickly move it out with 1-2 touches. If you get into a battle on the boards, you're going to spend the next 25-30s battling in your zone." They've been focusing seemingly exclusively on installing the D zone system which heavily emphasizes getting out of the zone quickly. Wennberg also mentioned that getting right into system installation seems to be not too common but "why wait, get going right away."

Everyone seems to emphasize that the first two days of camp have been the highest-energy, hardest they've ever had. So Warso is definitely pushing them differently and in a structured manner, have to say it's encouraging to hear so far.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sturm gives a fair bit of commentary here about changes to the D zone system. The key seems to be: "when you get the puck in your zone, quickly move it out with 1-2 touches. If you get into a battle on the boards, you're going to spend the next 25-30s battling in your zone." They've been focusing seemingly exclusively on installing the D zone system which heavily emphasizes getting out of the zone quickly. Wennberg also mentioned that getting right into system installation seems to be not too common but "why wait, get going right away."

Everyone seems to emphasize that the first two days of camp have been the highest-energy, hardest they've ever had. So Warso is definitely pushing them differently and in a structured manner, have to say it's encouraging to hear so far.

I genuinely think one of the hallmarks of great teams is making a bunch of little passes in succession. It's the basis for "play fast" rather than just lumping a bunch of fast skaters together. Couture was a guy with average speed at best who was able to play at a high pace because of his smarts and hands. Neither Smith nor Musty will ever be burners but they absolutely have the ability to "play fast".

Quick exits, short passes, you love to hear that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I genuinely think one of the hallmarks of great teams is making a bunch of little passes in succession. It's the basis for "play fast" rather than just lumping a bunch of fast skaters together. Couture was a guy with average speed at best who was able to play at a high pace because of his smarts and hands. Neither Smith nor Musty will ever be burners but they absolutely have the ability to "play fast".

Quick exits, short passes, you love to hear that.
This is something that a beer league team taught my team in I think midgets or something like that. We were skating full out the entire game and it seemed like they never even took a stride and the puck would be in our end.

They weren't outskating us, but thebpuck moves quicker then the body.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Edmonton getting all the former Sharks! Good for Weatherby. He had a bit of an "it" factor and I'm disappointed he couldn't stick with the Sharks.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Do you love Macklin? I love Macklin. Here's 11 minutes of Macklin content.

What stands out in the scrimmage:
- Smith's line actually controlled play pretty well against Celebrini line.
- teal was coming off practice, but still
- so many times macklin has perfect timing on the forecheck and then very quickly turnover becomes chance.
- excellent breakout and transition game - presents as an option like he's supposed to, looks fast and direct but still elusive through the NZ, and high % controlled zone entry
- breakaway goal where he torched Dickinson after an excellent corralling of puck in feet
- pace is just so high

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

- so many times macklin has perfect timing on the forecheck and then very quickly turnover becomes chance.
- excellent breakout and transition game - presents as an option like he's supposed to, looks fast and direct but still elusive through the NZ, and high % controlled zone entry
- breakaway goal where he torched Dickinson after an excellent corralling of puck in feet
- pace is just so high

Damn, he looks like Mike Modano with the jersey flapping behind him when he builds up a full head of steam. We're so lucky to have this kid.

Reactions: Jargon

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I have an insatiable need for content. Here's 7 minutes of 3v3 mini game, quite entertaining. Highlights:
- Zetterlund had a number of very impressive snipes. His release is looking deadly
- Smith looks the same as he did in NCAA but at a higher level now so that's good - creativity, skill, some mistakes, and possibly could shoot a little more... Often looking to feed Goodrow or Zetts.
- Dick looking a little tentative. I think it's all about confidence and paced development with him. No need to rush.
- Luca looked OK to solid.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011

- pace is just so high

I watched this before reading everyone's comments yesterday about the pace of breakouts, definitely the thing I noticed most in the video. Also I was wondering who 91 was before remembering we got Grundstrom. Hope we find a spot in the lineup for that guy, Jesus Christ can he skate.

Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad