2024 preseason (camp, media stuff)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Went to the scrimmage today. My thoughts:
  • Celebrini as advertised. Didn't get much help from his D moving the puck during the first part of scrimmage so was mostly in his d-zone against the Smith line. But then turned it on later in the scrimmage and is definitely a level above anyone else right now.
  • Smith was very impressive too. Didn't pay attention to much to him in D zone but didn't see anything glaring. But in transition and offensive zone he is a magician. He walked right by me on the way to Tech CU. I know he is on skates and in pads. But I'm 6'0 and he seemed much bigger than me and definitely NHL size.
  • Dickinson was solid. Nothing spectacular. Got beat by Celebrini on a speed rush down the boards. But other than that didn't look out of place.
  • Musty was great in the o zone. But in d zone and in transition always seemed to be chasing the play. Really needs to work on his first step.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Sturm gives a fair bit of commentary here about changes to the D zone system. The key seems to be: "when you get the puck in your zone, quickly move it out with 1-2 touches. If you get into a battle on the boards, you're going to spend the next 25-30s battling in your zone." They've been focusing seemingly exclusively on installing the D zone system which heavily emphasizes getting out of the zone quickly. Wennberg also mentioned that getting right into system installation seems to be not too common but "why wait, get going right away."

Everyone seems to emphasize that the first two days of camp have been the highest-energy, hardest they've ever had. So Warso is definitely pushing them differently and in a structured manner, have to say it's encouraging to hear so far.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sturm gives a fair bit of commentary here about changes to the D zone system. The key seems to be: "when you get the puck in your zone, quickly move it out with 1-2 touches. If you get into a battle on the boards, you're going to spend the next 25-30s battling in your zone." They've been focusing seemingly exclusively on installing the D zone system which heavily emphasizes getting out of the zone quickly. Wennberg also mentioned that getting right into system installation seems to be not too common but "why wait, get going right away."

Everyone seems to emphasize that the first two days of camp have been the highest-energy, hardest they've ever had. So Warso is definitely pushing them differently and in a structured manner, have to say it's encouraging to hear so far.

I genuinely think one of the hallmarks of great teams is making a bunch of little passes in succession. It's the basis for "play fast" rather than just lumping a bunch of fast skaters together. Couture was a guy with average speed at best who was able to play at a high pace because of his smarts and hands. Neither Smith nor Musty will ever be burners but they absolutely have the ability to "play fast".

Quick exits, short passes, you love to hear that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I genuinely think one of the hallmarks of great teams is making a bunch of little passes in succession. It's the basis for "play fast" rather than just lumping a bunch of fast skaters together. Couture was a guy with average speed at best who was able to play at a high pace because of his smarts and hands. Neither Smith nor Musty will ever be burners but they absolutely have the ability to "play fast".

Quick exits, short passes, you love to hear that.
This is something that a beer league team taught my team in I think midgets or something like that. We were skating full out the entire game and it seemed like they never even took a stride and the puck would be in our end.

They weren't outskating us, but thebpuck moves quicker then the body.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Edmonton getting all the former Sharks! Good for Weatherby. He had a bit of an "it" factor and I'm disappointed he couldn't stick with the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad