OT - NO POLITICS 2024 Paris Olympics

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm glad they are advocating for a joint medal but the circus they turned this into shouldn't have happened. Also, the fact that neither the IOC nor FIG (Gymnastics Federation) has not condemned the shit being spewed at Jordan is a massive issue. Fans of the Romanian team are posting some of the most racist crap I have ever seen all over Jordan's social media as well as any post mentioning her. At some point you need to condemn it.
Do you think her its going to be an all black podium for now on get used to it ,might have triggered some of her attacks on social media. Sorry but that’s a racist comment It shouldn’t matter what colour her teammates are should it? That’s all I’m going to say on it don’t want to get all political,just my take on it.

Last edited:

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Did he do all those stunts he’s the same age as me ,I’m impressed if he did.lol
Yes, he does his own stunts and a lot more, so he is no idiotic cultist, like some other clown called him!
He is actually a very nice guy, I worked a few of his movies. People judge what they don't know. Smh

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Do you think her its going to be an all black podium for now on get used to it ,might have triggered some of her attacks on social media. Sorry but that’s a racist comment It shouldn’t matter what colour her teammates are should it? That’s all I’m going to say on it don’t want to get all political,just my take on it.
Absolutely 100%. Nadia Comenici has been liking these types of posts on Instagram and is now trying to backtrack. It’s just ugly and it never had to be this way. Also, I’m with you, no politics.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
What was the earlier part about was it Death ☠️ and the demon Abraxas?
I genuinely have not a clue what that was. It was very ....odd 👀

They also had the Greek god Nike the Goddess of Victory...according to them...

France could of done really cool history stuff and skipped out on most of it. I enjoyed listening to the band Phoenix like I was 19 again. That was about it. Closing was miles better than the opening, I'll give them that.

Very strange though.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I genuinely have not a clue what that was. It was very ....odd 👀

They also had the Greek god Nike the Goddess of Victory...according to them...

France could of done really cool history stuff and skipped out on most of it. I enjoyed listening to the band Phoenix like I was 19 again. That was about it. Closing was miles better than the opening, I'll give them that.

Very strange though.
Yeah closing was definitely much better that opening was a total mess ,I guess they did chop of Marie Antoinette’s head for the history part.I guess they didn’t have some nicer history.lol

• Haha
Reactions: Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good Morning

Today will be long and tedious as we have to make sure everything is packed before the trucks leave for the 125-mile trip to Le Harve and then a 9-day boat trip to Brooklyn.

The French did a fantastic job with security.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Good Morning

Today will be long and tedious as we have to make sure everything is packed before the trucks leave for the 125-mile trip to Le Harve and then a 9-day boat trip to Brooklyn.

The French did a fantastic job with security.
Yeah I’m actually kind of shocked there wasn’t some kind of attack.I wonder if anything was thwarted and just haven’t heard about it yet.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A few remarks on the closing ceremony

The 9 PM local time for the start was deliberate.

"La Marseillaise" was played exactly at sunset 9:12 PM
Sunday, August 11, 2024 (GMT+2)
Sunset in Paris, France

The Olympic Flame was blown out exactly at Midnight.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah I’m actually kind of shocked there wasn’t some kind of attack.I wonder if anything was thwarted and just haven’t heard about it yet.
When I was in France in 2018 the one thing that was jarring to me was the police presence in public places like malls and bus stations, etc. They pretty much dress like SWAT members and they carry rifles. I stopped in a mall to go to a cafe get WiFi to arrange my AirBnB and they made me open my bags so they could thoroughly search them.

They really don't f*** around over there.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The scenes and backdrops of Paris were unique and can't be replicated, so don't try. The area around LA has some beautiful coastline, so probably make use of that, and otherwise just focus of having top-class facilities and a good, clean and modern 'Olympic Village' area. Give the athletes themselves every chance to be the stars and it should be fine. Even Paris has some very dirty areas but you wouldn't know it from the last two weeks, apart from the state of the Seine. These things can be hidden.
@Aussie Bruin

Every large city has warts.

The iconic backdrop in LA is going to be the Hollywood Sign.......

In 2000 Sydney had a bridge and opera house, 2004 Athens offered the Acropolis and Parthenon, 2008 Beijing had the Forbidden City, 2012 London had Tower Bridge and in 2016 Rio had Christ the Redeemer.

All I know about Brisbane is its beautiful skyline.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When I was in France in 2018 the one thing that was jarring to me was the police presence in public places like malls and bus stations, etc. They pretty much dress like SWAT members and they carry rifles. I stopped in a mall to go to a cafe get WiFi to arrange my AirBnB and they made me open my bags so they could thoroughly search them.

Given the history can you blame them?

Reactions: BBruins and BMC

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

Every large city has warts.

The iconic backdrop in LA is going to be the Hollywood Sign.......

In 2000 Sydney had a bridge and opera house, 2004 Athens offered the Acropolis and Parthenon, 2008 Beijing had the Forbidden City, 2012 London had Tower Bridge and in 2016 Rio had Christ the Redeemer.

All I know about Brisbane is its beautiful skyline.

This is true. Brisbane is an odd choice in that it will be the smallest city to host an Olympics since Munich way back in 1972. But not many countries are interested these days so their bid was successful. The best thing that can be said about the place is that it's 'pleasant'. There are no grand buildings or bridges or dramatic landscapes. The beaches and weather are nice, the surrounding countryside is pretty. That's about it.

The challenge of being a smaller city is they're going to have to build most things from scratch. Which obviously costs a lot of money and like most countries ours has economic issues post-pandemic, so they will undoubtedly be looking to cut corners probably with mixed results. If we run true to form the games here will be clean, functional and accessible, but not spectacular. End of the day though, that would do.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I miss the Paris Olympics already bring back the Paris Olympics.

I'm old enough to remember Barcelona, but I was way too young to understand why it was "the best games ever."* So just speaking for myself these were the best Olympics I have ever watched, and I know some people think they even trumped Barcelona.

*Minus the background for the diving events, the coolest setting for anything ever.)

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah I’m actually kind of shocked there wasn’t some kind of attack.
You and I both.

An acquaintance of mine married a French woman and visits France often.

He told me once that in all his many travels around the world, France feels like one of the least safe places he’s ever been and there are many things that are covered up. While it is true that most places downplay their violent crime, he said things are a lot worse in France than most people realize.

I believe him.

The cops weren’t carrying those rifles for nothing, @McGarnagle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's going to be hard for the USOC to pull off a good show in 2028 because (and as someone living an hour outside of LA, I can say this), LA absolutely sucks. The city has no character or scenery whatsoever. If they stick to events at the Coliseum, Sofi, and Dodger Stadium, set up the NBC desk in UCLA or someplace that's well-landscaped, and just show the part of the torch ceremony going up and down Hollywood Blvd, they can maybe use TV magic to give off the impression that it's actually a functional world-class city and not an unlivable trash heap. Even in the best of scenarios they still have their hands full after what Paris was able to pull off.

The USOC pulled off an awesome Olympics in 1984. It was fabulous and they even made money doing it.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1723480113210.png

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Man, what the f*** am I supposed to watch on TV while I'm supposed to be working now that the Olympics are over?

This sucks.

Paralympics.

Though they're making a mistake not having it start now and capitalize off of people wanting to watch still. That doesn't start for a bit.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
watched more than I typically do for the summer Olympics but little has changed, my pea sized brain is better suited for the winter Olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00