Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
:deep sigh:

Did you understand the larger point I was making? Did I need to be specific for you to understand it? Cause if not why aren't you mentioning how he didn't call plays in college? Or how he needs to work on post-snap reads? And how he tends to force throws that aren't there or rake bad sacks rather than living to fight another play?

Why did you only mention his footwork when he has a number of things he has to work on and develop?

I'm super f***ing excited about Drake Maye and 100% wanted them to take him. I also want him to get red-shirted this year so he can learn the pro-game. Hence "all tools, no toolbox," an obvious shorthand for something I'm positive most people understood.
There aren't a lot of college QBs who call their own plays. Even fewer of them are as young as Drake Maye, and remember how much experience he missed out on in high school during covid seasons.

Every player taken has a number of things to work on. There is no such thing as a perfect prospect. The one that stood out the most was his footwork. Something you heard all of the scouts talk about, the analysts and the coaches in preseason so far. It was the only major issue anyone had with his game. Hence, it was the only thing I mentioned.

*double deep sigh*

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There aren't a lot of college QBs who call their own plays. Even fewer of them are as young as Drake Maye, and remember how much experience he missed out on in high school during covid seasons.

Every player taken has a number of things to work on. There is no such thing as a perfect prospect. The one that stood out the most was his footwork. Something you heard all of the scouts talk about, the analysts and the coaches in preseason so far. It was the only major issue anyone had with his game. Hence, it was the only thing I mentioned.

*double deep sigh*

Yeah, no shit. And Maye has more to work on then most. Footwork is definitely not the "only major issue" he has and you're the only one who has claimed that.

He's not close to ready. "All tools, no toolbox" just yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

While it's early, I was not a fan of the decision to draft Maye. MHJ was easily the best player available, and I hate when teams take QB's just because they think they "have to." So if Maye sucks this year and they have the #1 pick next year, and the consensus top player in the draft is a QB that is viewed as being better than Maye coming out of college, the Pats pretty much can't take him. It'd be a really bad look to give up on Maye after just 1 season and you'd have to fire those responsible for wasting your 2024 1st rounder on Maye.

Reactions: McGarnagle

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
McCarthy would have killed it in Minny with Jefferson and their loaded roster. Helps us out bc I think some of the other rookies will do well. Him and Penix can’t pants us.

Maye needs to be sat and protected he was just as good as these guys in college has all the tools and should not see the field on the worst team in the NFL. Next off-season Kraft will have to use all that cap room and we’ll be better.

I think we’ll be watching quite a bit of Zappe and he’s a good sacrificial lamb bc Brisset will pick up an injury and quit. Milton might have a couple moments but he’ll have some 3-4 pick games and that will be it.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

While it's early, I was not a fan of the decision to draft Maye. MHJ was easily the best player available, and I hate when teams take QB's just because they think they "have to." So if Maye sucks this year and they have the #1 pick next year, and the consensus top player in the draft is a QB that is viewed as being better than Maye coming out of college, the Pats pretty much can't take him. It'd be a really bad look to give up on Maye after just 1 season and you'd have to fire those responsible for wasting your 2024 1st rounder on Maye.

True lol but in that scenario you trade that #1 pick and take a haul from some QB desperate team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought the starting line minus Lowe looked fine in the preseason opener

Lowe is very bad though. Simply cannot pass block.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Yeah, no shit. And Maye has more to work on then most. Footwork is definitely not the "only major issue" he has and you're the only one who has claimed that.

He's not close to ready. "All tools, no toolbox" just yet.
Maye needs time to develop and we need to surrond him with a competent O line and some decent offensive weapons.
Let him practise and learn each work.
It will take this team at least 3 years to get back to .500 football.
Another 4-13 season is a high probability.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Maye needs time to develop and we need to surrond him with a competent O line and some decent offensive weapons.
Let him practise and learn each work.
It will take this team at least 3 years to get back to .500 football.
Another 4-13 season is a high probability.

How the hell are they gonna win 4?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
meanwhile 'the general' in command preseason

1723666442485.png

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
It's too bad things didn't work out. I liked Judon.

That said, the defense was somewhere between decent and good without him last year.

A 3rd round pick is about as much as the Pats could realistically expect in return, as well.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like Judon but he's getting up there in years and coming off a serious injury. Best of luck to him - felt like he represented the team well before the contract stuff got into his head.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Getting a 3rd for Judon is a massive W as far as I'm concerned. But get ready. It could be the only W all season :sarcasm:

This reliable? The 49ers and Lions being near the top signals well run teams. The Patriots on the other hand suck and yet have the 2nd most cap space in the league. Your QBs are dirt cheap right now. So what is the money being saved for? That's what I would be asking if I was Jerod Mayo. Coaches are hired to be fired in the NFL. He won't be around long if the losses stack up.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad