GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Are we discounting the possibility of Conor Geekie stepping right into the roster? He's 20.

Braydon Point was able to pretty much do that.
I was considering it for several hours this afternoon but it's been Lightning tradition for 10 years for all prospects to pay tribute to Syracuse for like 3 years even if it's completely unnecessary. I think there's another move. We're just shy of $6 million. J.J Moser isn’t eating $4 milion

Geekie could score 6 goals in the preseason like Connolly did (I think it was 6) and he'd still be sent down like Connolly was

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I was considering it for several hours this afternoon but it's been Lightning tradition for 10 years for all prospects to pay tribute to Syracuse for like 3 years even if it's completely unnecessary. I think there's another move. We're just shy of $6 million. J.J Moser isn’t eating $4 million

This is true. We also haven’t had a Brayden Point-calibre prospect since Sergachev. I don’t hate the idea of throwing him into the mix and seeing if he sinks or swims. The AHL will always be there.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't see Atkinson as being related to Geekie. We need right-handed shots for certain things to even work.

I see Geekie being more tied to Nick Paul or Cirelli.
If Geekie comes up and can hold his own and produce in year 1, one of those two are likely out the door. That's what I mentioned yesterday. Given the JBB and Cooper love fest over a 40pt 6.25M center, Paul probably gets sent packing, but the real savings would be Geekie in a scoring role on the second line and Paul the remaining 3-4 years at 3M on the third line.

All hinges on Geekie's performance of course.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is true. We also haven’t had a Brayden Point-calibre prospect since Sergachev. I don’t hate the idea of throwing him into the mix and seeing if he sinks or swims. The AHL will always be there.
Well Sergachev was in a completely different universe. By 20 he was ready to be a full course 2nd pairing defender so long as his partner was a guy like Girardi at the time. There was valid reason we were so high on him for so long. It wasn't a fluke. The problem I feel is we spoiled ourselves on depth and never challenged him enough to grow. And what you're left with is a guy who was 25 and never outgrew his need for a babysitter. The only guy he figured it out with to share an equal or greater part was Cernak. He was pampered by that coaching staff and should have eaten the bench a dozen times I can think of over the years

I just want Geekie to even be able to keep up with NHL caliber skating

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What's your angle, you think Atkinson gets PP1 time because he's a righty?
Very possibly.

Think about how Stammer scored his PP goals. He's a right handed shot on the left side of the ice. He can fire one-timers. If you put a lefty there, you're much less of a threat.

You could also completely change the side of the ice you prefer to overload and make Kuch the shooter (who plays RW as a lefty regularly), but that would be reworking the entire PP. Point may not work in the bumper anymore, since he's feeding Kuch on the backhand, etc.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What's your angle, you think Atkinson gets PP1 time because he's a righty?
For me it just depends on how they decide to format it with Stamkos gone. I would presume, Kucherov and Point in their same spots, Hedman up top, Guentzel down low, and then you could put Hagel on his strong side, but no one T option as a left shot on the left side, thus the need for Hagel to curl turn to get a Matthews esque wrister off on the left wing.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Very possibly.

Think about how Stammer scored his PP goals. He's a right handed shot on the left side of the ice. He can fire one-timers. If you put a lefty there, you're much less of a threat.

You could also completely change the side of the ice you prefer to overload and make Kuch the shooter (who plays RW as a lefty regularly), but that would be reworking the entire PP. Point may not work in the bumper anymore, since he's feeding Kuch on this backhand, etc.

I get how being a righty at LW helps, exhibit A for the last 16 years Stamkos. Just difficult to see Atkinson being there for that sole reason.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Very possibly.

You could also completely change the side of the ice you prefer to overload and make Kuch the shooter (who plays RW as a lefty regularly), but that would be reworking the entire PP. Point may not work in the bumper anymore, since he's feeding Kuch on the backhand, etc.

Not a single chance that Atkinson sees PP1. Cooper will put Point in Stammer's spot, and Guentzel in Pointer spot

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not a single chance that Atkinson sees PP1. Cooper will put Point in Stammer's spot, and Guentzel in Pointer spot
Guentzel shoots left. Ideally, it'd be another righty in the middle.

Guentzel could play net front on PP1.

Stamkos pretty much was a turret in the last few years. On his spot, waiting for the one-timer. Daniel Sprong does that.

Point and Atkinson are pretty much our only left circle options right now, and we know Kuch and Point play their current roles well.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Not trying to be a dick anymore than I can be at times, but if you think NHLers all hit one timers the same just because they're NHLers you're out to lunch. It's a unique skillset to hit them from certain angles. Hedman hitting them at the top is much different than if he's at Kucherovs spot. Point isn't hitting one timers. I actually, just from memory, can't recall one clapper off a one timer scored by Point. I'd like to see a clip, because it's likely something very rare. His release is much different. Torque and hand positioning factor in as well. There's a reason why Stamkos made a living off that shot and wasn't put on his strong side, on his forehand. Guys that can execute with timing and precision in that spot aren't everywhere in the league.

That was one of our biggest gripes with Stamkos at times missing those shots and he's been one of the two best in his generation at doing it. You're not getting that from Point. Plus, he's one of the best bumper guys in the league. Guentzel would be ideal on the left but we no longer have a one timer option. That's the least problematic way without flipping Kucherov to the left. Movement is key and going against the grain has always been a strong suit in our powerplay as it goes up, to Kuch, back up/around, and then across the seam.

You need a right handed shot. Atkinson may see a moment there but he's not quite it either. Sprong on the other hand would be a guy to experiment with but I don't think he's a guy we bring in and mask defensive deficiencies just for a PP1 spot we could give to Guentzel. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Guentzel shoots left. Ideally, it'd be another righty in the middle.

Guentzel could play net front on PP1.

Stamkos pretty much was a turret in the last few years. On his spot, waiting for the one-timer. Daniel Sprong does that.

Point and Atkinson are pretty much our only left circle options right now, and we know Kuch and Point play their current roles well.
Exactly. Hagel or Guentzel are my bets on them being the guy down low and the shooter if we change from having a traditional umbrella open to one timers. Hagel would be down low as Jake has the better shot. The pro of this type is that the guy on the left can send it back to Kucherov for a shot as well, something Stamkos typically couldn't do because passing lane is higher and likely blocked by the bumper and pk forwards. If we don't bring in a forward, I'm thinking they'll try Atkinson there, then Guentzel.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not trying to be a dick anymore than I can be at times, but if you think NHLers all hit one timers the same just because they're NHLers you're out to lunch. It's a unique skillset to hit them from certain angles. Hedman hitting them at the top is much different than if he's at Kucherovs spot. Point isn't hitting one timers. I actually, just from memory, can't recall one clapper off a one timer scored by Point. I'd like to see a clip, because it's likely something very rare. His release is much different. Torque and hand positioning factor in as well. There's a reason why Stamkos made a living off that shot and wasn't put on his strong side, on his forehand. Guys that can execute with timing and precision in that spot aren't everywhere in the league.

That was one of our biggest gripes with Stamkos at times missing those shots and he's been one of the two best in his generation at doing it. You're not getting that from Point. Plus, he's one of the best bumper guys in the league. Guentzel would be ideal on the left but we no longer have a one timer option. That's the least problematic way without flipping Kucherov to the left. Movement is key and going against the grain has always been a strong suit in our powerplay as it goes up, to Kuch, back up/around, and then across the seam.

You need a right handed shot. Atkinson may see a moment there but he's not quite it either. Sprong on the other hand would be a guy to experiment with but I don't think he's a guy we bring in and mask defensive deficiencies just for a PP1 spot we could give to Guentzel. Just my thoughts.
Kuch might have the talent to do it, but he actually shoots left, despite playing RW.

I don't think we should pencil Atkinson in at Stamkos's old spot, but that'd pretty much be the guy at 8:30pm July 2nd, 2024.

If we get Rikard Rakell, or whoever else, maybe that changes.

Atkinson, Point, Glendening, and Chaffee are our right-handers.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Kuch might have the talent to do it, but he actually shoots left, despite playing RW.
You mean as him being the trigger man? Or him on the left?

I don't see who would be the playmaker you'd run it through for him to be the shooter. Nobody sells on forehand and backhand like him. He can still hit a lefty in stride looping around, you'd just need your best shooter then to catch the pass- Guentzel. If you move him to the left I fear he's too stationary for a forehand set up like that. Using McDavid isn't exactly the best comparison but he's incredibly mobile in that role on the left as a lefty. Kucherov is better at attracting pressure and releasing it to a wide open guy. I don't see him being as effective on the left imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad