GDT: 2024 NHL Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
as much as i second guess jbb, im pretty calm and confident that he has a plan for the remaining cap space

if history is any indicator, he's gonna spend every penny of it

ufa options aren't pretty, so i think a trade has to be in the works

woudn't be surprised if Geekie gets immediately flipped, maybe teams value Perbix decently? especially seeing with what some of these ufa's rhd are getting

i mentioned Ehlers earlier, but i also really liked the Laine idea mentioned in this thread too

Geekie/Howard, Perbix, 2026 1st

not sure if that's not enough, but a decent base of an offer for something
WE ARE NOT TRADING THAT PICK. With how shit has gone the last couple years, we could be headed towards falling off a cliff & thus an unintentional tank. We've given up enough 1sts recently.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
On paper our D looks better
Hedman - Raddysh
McDonagh - Cernak
Moser - Perbix
Liliberg

Our offense is still a nightmare. We're a 1 line team.

Geekie should get a shot at 3C to start the year
Might need to get creative with the top 6, but Laine is not the answer. The guy has MO just like Dubois. Don't touch that with a 10 foot pole. If people hated how lazy Sheary looks out there, Laine is worse getting paid 4x as much. Ehjlers, just doesn't feel like a good fit for us. Just another floater who doesn't contribute to a 200 foot game and just becomes a liability. He always reminds me of a more talented Teddy Purcell. Great at getting the puck in the zone, then turns it over and it's going the other way.

One thing JBB is he will find a team who has a player available that no one expected to be available. So maybe we are just not seeing who that is yet. Like I mentioned, I think Granlund might be that player.

Thinking about it, there is only 2 teams I can think of that are outwardly looking like they are properly rebuilding and not making a push for the playoffs. San Jose and Calgary. Everyone else is trying in some facet.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I guess there's still time to really improve, but man...if losing Stamkos the way it just happened only for Jake Guentzel and a couple cheap forwards is pretty wild. Never would have guessed.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
WE ARE NOT TRADING THAT PICK. With how shit has gone the last couple years, we could be headed towards falling off a cliff & thus an unintentional tank. We've given up enough 1sts recently.
I agree, but i'm trying to think on how jbb is operating.

which means 1st round picks are being used for trying to get this core another cup

he already damaged his rep with the fan base with how he handled Stamkos, he is absolutely using every asset that won't help us substantially in the next 3-5 years to get another cup

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Again, assuming there's not a surprise trade of significance:

I'm kinda confused about what is going on. This is not an "all-in" roster. If the only other moves are cheap forwards then we aren't even THAT much better. Which makes a 9x7 FA deal even stranger. I totally get it if he was loading up the roster for going all in. But the roster as it currently stands and the available Cap Space are a far cry from that.

Is the current roster worth wrecking the Stamkos situation?

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
I guess there's still time to really improve, but man...if losing Stamkos the way it just happened only for Jake Guentzel and a couple cheap forwards is pretty wild. Never would have guessed.

Once it became clear that Stamkos was testing the waters, who did you think the Lightning would get? Maybe last contract you would have attracted a top C, but I think Guentzel is a pretty good swap.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't really have an issue with how Stamkos was handled.

We talk about loyalty, but JBB's loyalty should be to the team (everyone), not individuals. Putting money into Stammer's pocket takes it out of the next guy's.

Stammer gets a larger slice of the pie than is maybe reasonable, and it hurts everyone else.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Might need to get creative with the top 6, but Laine is not the answer. The guy has MO just like Dubois. Don't touch that with a 10 foot pole. If people hated how lazy Sheary looks out there, Laine is worse getting paid 4x as much. Ehjlers, just doesn't feel like a good fit for us. Just another floater who doesn't contribute to a 200 foot game and just becomes a liability. He always reminds me of a more talented Teddy Purcell. Great at getting the puck in the zone, then turns it over and it's going the other way.

One thing JBB is he will find a team who has a player available that no one expected to be available. So maybe we are just not seeing who that is yet. Like I mentioned, I think Granlund might be that player.

Thinking about it, there is only 2 teams I can think of that are outwardly looking like they are properly rebuilding and not making a push for the playoffs. San Jose and Calgary. Everyone else is trying in some facet.
Granlund could be a good option, he seems to have found his scoring touch again.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Untitled.jpg

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Wonder what the price tag to get Kuzmenko (1M retained) from Calgary would be.
That would make our top6 nuclear

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
that duclair deal we could've afforded so jbb definitely has a plan for a trade or signing just gotta be patient

Reactions: Zwui21

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I don't really have an issue with how Stamkos was handled.

We talk about loyalty, but JBB's loyalty should be to the team (everyone), not individuals. Putting money into Stammer's pocket takes it out of the next guy's.

Stammer gets a larger slice of the pie than is maybe reasonable, and it hurts everyone else.

He has a lot of balls. A lot of us have called for trades for big name guys in the past but he actually went ahead and made tough decisions. And he’ll take the heat for the personal side of things, something none of us really have to deal with when we’re making up imaginary moves.

So kudos to him. But there’s still work to be done. Seravelli mentioned there were “moving pieces” with Tampa so I’d be surprised if this was it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Dobberprospects report on Jesse Ylönen
June 2024 – In terms of pure upside, Jesse Ylonen has loads. He is a high-end skater, a forechecking machine, and is big enough to not be a liability. Unfortunately, it seems as if the pieces have not come together, and after this past NHL season, Ylonen and the Montreal Canadiens may part ways. On a roster loaded with forward depth, the 24-year-old is no longer a priority for the organization. A change of scenery could be best for all. Aaron Itovitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad