Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I haven't seen any news about the Flyers paying SKA 1m for them to loan Michkov to them because they don't want to play him in their own club.
Idk if this was done but I just checked and this is how it could have been done. In the KHL rules, there’s a clause that says a player can break his contract by buying it out. So Michkov needs alone to buy out with his agent the rest of his contract.

Bottom line is SKA wants to be paid. The problem is the NHL forbids a club to help in any way for the player to finance his buy-out. So Michkov would need to take out a loan or find the cash elsewhere to buy SKA out.

The Flyers are not ever allowed to pay any compensation to Michkov for his costs.

Reactions: themilosh

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
That is illegal per the CBA/NHL rules.

You're not allowed to do that. It's against NHL regs; however because he has one year left on his contract I think Montreal can sign him to an ELC, it just gets deferred to next year. He can use the signing bonus towards the buy-out.
Interesting. I knew there was no IHF deal in place with Russia, but I thought that just meant it was unregulated and they could ask for any ridiculous thing.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
It's just crazy how this good fortune has turned the rebuild around.

I still believed in the Hugo build, but I was not sure how they'd accomplish it without a superstar forward. Now, Slaf has plenty of runway to be that so maybe it would have sorted itself out.

But Demidov is the type of player you make sure has the puck on his stick in big moments. We have that player now and now the biggest question mark of the rebuild is answered.

Now it's just do we have the right horses, the right mix, to win it all when the vision comes together.
The Biggest question mark now is Dach health. Is he going to be healthy or are we dealing with a injury prone player. Missing a whole year is never easy.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Interesting. I knew there was no IHF deal in place with Russia, but I thought that just meant it was unregulated and they could ask for any ridiculous thing.

Nope. You can't pay off Russian teams to release players. This happened in the 90s and NHL teams got into bidding wars. NHL subsequently banned it.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
They did pay them tho. Various reports came out.
Michkov can pay SKA out of his own pocket. Flyers can't pay SKA.

On Tuesday morning, his KHL team, SKA St. Petersburg, formally confirmed that Michkov will be buying out the remaining two years of his contract and is off to Philadelphia.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Ok guys, gentleman and girls. It's time to really make a big noise. The biggest news of the day.

The MHL is really the same tier of USHL.

I'm the most happy guy in the world. The guy we draft 5th overall, have same stats of Jack Hughes at 17 years old.

We draft that gem at 5.

I'm flabbergoosted, I'm going to drink all next season to celebrate that selection.

I'm still re-watch that selection made by Celine Dion and jump like no one can imagine.

Screenshot_20240703_171526_X.jpg

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ok guys, gentleman and girls. It's time to really make a big noise. The biggest news of the day.

I'm the most happy guy in the world. The guy we draft 5th overall, have same stats of Jack Hughes at 17 years old.

We draft that gem at 5.

I'm flabbergoosted, I'm going to drink all next season to celebrate that selection.

I'm still re-watch that selection made by Celine Dion and jump like no one can imagine.

View attachment 891991
If anything MHL is probably a bit better since Russia is waaaaaay more hockey crazy than the US

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

We draft that gem at 5.

View attachment 891991

In McCagg We Trust.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
NHL stop teams from dealing money to league they don't have transfers deals in place with and the CBA has a rule that teams can't give money to players outside their NHL contracts.

And the IHF makes it illegal to sign a player already signed in another league to a contract unless there is a transfer deal in place and the signing respect the deal. So the Habs couldn't sign Demidov to an ELC so he have money to buyout his KHL contract either.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Maybe I'm not able to understand this, perhaps you can clarify. How can teams get into bidding wars over a drafted prospect, who's rights are owned by one NHL team only?

It obviously wasn't over rfas, but rfas were essentially held hostage until teams paid up. With the new cap & new rules around ELCs, they've taken what was essentially bribes away.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

We draft that gem at 5.

View attachment 891991

Let's remember that Hughes didn't light the NHL on fire til his 4th year. He was too weak for NHL in his 1st season. He had a much stronger year his 2nd season. Then put just over PPG in his 3rd season before hitting 99 pts in his 4th.

Ditto Kucherov. He put up PPG in his 3rd full NHL season then 100 pts in his 4th season.

Reactions: Andrei79

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Demidov will most likely attend the SKA pro camp like he did last year, and if all goes well, there's no reason why he wouldn't make the team and at least play the first few games (again, like a recall he did last year). The big question is if he'll stay there or get down fast. If he stays, then it's all good, he can spend the season there. If he's sent down, that's when you start to evaluate.

But at this point would we even want him to come to NA? Compared to Slaf, Demidov won't have been through any north-american training camp, he would be as fresh as one can be to NA and north-american hockey, and dropped here in the middle of season - not the greatest environment for a 18 years old. So maybe staying in the MHL for another more year would still be preferable.

... and then we bring him here at the end of their season as we usually do.

It sucks, we have little control and the KHL teams ultimately don't really care about us, but it's only for one year anyway so no needs to make a big deal out of it whatever happens.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Let's remember that Hughes didn't light the NHL on fire til his 4th year. He was too weak for NHL in his 1st season. He had a much stronger year his 2nd season. Then put just over PPG in his 3rd season before hitting 99 pts in his 4th.

Ditto Kucherov. He put up PPG in his 3rd full NHL season then 100 pts in his 4th season.
Hughes really could have used a year playing in the NCAA with Michigan. He wasn't physically ready for the NHL, IMO.

The Michigan student section sure did their darnedest to recruit him. I attended the NTDP U18's game at Yost Arena in Ann Arbor when Hughes was on that team. The student section held up signs and chanted "we want Jack" whenever he would step on the ice.
:laugh:

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad