GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do the Avs trade #24 or Make a selection?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think I found a fix for the NHL Draft Weekend.

1. Reduce it so there is only 4 rounds. I would say 3 rounds, but with two more expansion teams likely coming in the next 5 years or so we might actually want/need more than 3 but 7 is way too many.
2. Hold it all on one day only.
3. Don't televise any of it. Lock the GMs and scouts in a room, get the shit done quickly and then release a press statement.

I know that would suck for the kids that normally get the TV interviews and national exposure and stuff, but this just does not make for good television. Not every aspect of sports is sexy.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think I found a fix for the NHL Draft Weekend.

1. Reduce it so there is only 4 rounds. I would say 3 rounds, but with two more expansion teams likely coming in the next 5 years or so we might actually want/need more than 3 but 7 is way too many.
2. Hold it all on one day only.
3. Don't televise any of it. Lock the GMs and scouts in a room, get the shit done quickly and then release a press statement.

I know that would suck for the kids that normally get the TV interviews and national exposure and stuff, but this just does not make for good television. Not every aspect of sports is sexy.

You're definitely in a significant minority with that opinion. Plenty of people enjoy the draft.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Genuinely excited for Nabokov. He didn't have to be ruined...I mean...developed...by us and by all accounts he's extremely athletic and intelligent in net. It also kind of feels nice to have the first choice at a position...that is a somewhat minor thing given that goalies are goalies but picking that late and getting the #1 guy you wanted at a position...I think that's something. One more year in the KHL sounds perfect.

Rest of the draft seems like...Avs being Avs...it will be nice to watch a couple of the kids close to home and there seem to be a few nice value pulls towards the end (Pitner, Curran, Humphreys) but mostly a grab bag of low upside guys and projects and hey let's add a few more random goalies (3 goalies with our first 5 picks...really?)

At least we had a draft with more than 3-4 picks so hopefulyl we get lucky and hit on a few role players for down the road plus our goalie.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't mind the strategy of trading down a couple times to score some extra picks, I just wish they had tried it in a stronger draft year.

As usual, there's some truly mystifying choices that were made, and a few others I think have solid value. Of course, the second category always turns out to be nothing but a mirage 5 years down the line, but hope springs eternal. Nice to at least get more warm bodies into the system.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love the draft, probably my favourite aspect of hockey after winning the Stanley Cup. However, the 1st round is about 30 to 40 minutes too long. They must reduce the time limit from 3 minutes to 2 and if teams want to do a trade, then give them unlimited timeouts that increase the limit to 5 minutes.

Been chainsawing trees all day. Somehow seeing this draft list wore me out more 😂
How's setting up the bear traps?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad