GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m hoping for Nygard or Tij Iginla

I mean it's not Bob, but the NHL scouts, so there should be more weight on it. And the main point I was trying to make was not if he's good or not, but what are the odds he gets picked by Fitz or anyone in top15 if majority of the NHL scouts think he's outside top15?
Even scouts make mistakes. How many better players did we pass up for Zacha? Mike Bossy was drafted 15th by the Islanders. It’s not a perfect science, unless it’s a generational talent.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
There is no chance they trade another 1st round pick for a goalie a week after trading a 1st round pick for a goalie.

I dunno. Both our current Goalies are short term guys. Put him in the A this year. He becomes the backup or takes over for Markstrom during next season. Is 1A the following season. Plus as people keep bringing up Allen and Markstrom have some injury history. So its likely he will get some time now. Toss them Schimd or Daws as a backup for Soros and it actually would make a ton of sense.

Trading for Askarov isnt a right now move its a move for next season and beyond. Just think of it like draft Askarov at ten, Id do that, He would become your starting goalie at what 24?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Even scouts make mistakes. How many better players did we pass up for Zacha? Mike Bossy was drafted 15th by the Islanders. It’s not a perfect science, unless it’s a generational talent.
Did you miss the main point part of his post? He wasn’t saying he isn’t good enough just that it isn’t actually that likely we do take him.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

I mean it's not Bob, but the NHL scouts, so there should be more weight on it. And the main point I was trying to make was not if he's good or not, but what are the odds he gets picked by Fitz or anyone in top15 if majority of the NHL scouts think he's outside top15?

Reactions: JimEIV

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Trading for Askarov isnt a right now move its a move for next season and beyond. Just think of it like draft Askarov at ten, Id do that, He would become your starting goalie at what 24?
This is what you hope. Its no guarentee especially with how voodoo the position is. That’s why I would hesitate to trade 10 but Askarov is extremely talented.

I agree with others that it isn’t likely mostly because I think Fitz it’s targeting right now help

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I dunno. Both our current Goalies are short term guys. Put him in the A this year. He becomes the backup or takes over for Markstrom during next season. Is 1A the following season. Plus as people keep bringing up Allen and Markstrom have some injury history. So its likely he will get some time now. Toss them Schimd or Daws as a backup for Soros and it actually would make a ton of sense.

truth

askarov fits the teams timeline perfectly imo

now i dont know if people are saying they won't give up the pick for him or they shouldn't. for the record i highly doubt they will move the pick to begin with i figure it would've happened already. i think they should esp if hes as good a prospect as people say. trade one prospect (10) for an already established prospect that will contribute a lot faster then the pick at 10 will

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
truth

askarov fits the teams timeline perfectly imo

now i dont know if people are saying they won't give up the pick for him or they shouldn't. for the record i highly doubt they will move the pick to begin with i figure it would've happened already. i think they should esp if hes as good a prospect as people say. trade one prospect (10) for an already established prospect that will contribute a lot faster then the pick at 10 will
How many game of his has anyone watched in the last year? How do we know he's this great goalie prospect? Just his name and minor league numbers? I'm not saying he won't be the real deal but it's hard to bet on it with such little real evaluation.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
1719610083136.gif

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
How many game of his has anyone watched in the last year? How do we know he's this great goalie prospect? Just his name and minor league numbers? I'm not saying he won't be the real deal but it's hard to bet on it with such little real evaluation.

i dunno but going by the buzz im assuming teams did they homework

Reactions: My3Sons

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
This is what you hope. Its no guarentee especially with how voodoo the position is. That’s why I would hesitate to trade 10 but Askarov is extremely talented.

I agree with others that it isn’t likely mostly because I think Fitz it’s targeting right now help

There is always risk no matter what. Same with the player they draft at 10 that could turn into a bust as well.

You have to weigh the risk. Some 18 year old or a guy who been playing pro hockey just not in the NHL and it on the cusp.

Could it blow up in their face sure either option can.

I do generally agree its unlikely to happen I think after all this talk they will probably make the pick. But the idea they wouldnt explore a trade for a 22 year old very talented goalie of the future because they got one for 2 seasons doesnt track to me. Thats not building a good future for the team IMO.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Little video for the mood. He will join Devils after next season.

If Devils will draft forward, with Lenny Hameenaho, new forward and Gritsyuk they have a chance to build huge strong top-9 for the next 3-5 years. Devils can sign more NHL proven and expensive defensemen and build offensive depth with some expirienced cheaper forwards and some talents on ELC.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is always risk no matter what. Same with the player they draft at 10 that could turn into a bust as well.

You have to weigh the risk. Some 18 year old or a guy who been playing pro hockey just not in the NHL and it on the cusp.

Could it blow up in their face sure either option can.

I do generally agree its unlikely to happen I think after all this talk they will probably make the pick. But the idea they wouldnt explore a trade for a 22 year old very talented goalie of the future because they got one for 2 seasons doesnt track to me. Thats not building a good future for the team IMO.
Goalies in general are riskier. Thats all I was saying. Its a position where guys go from being really good to bad quickly and out of nowhere and vice versa far more often.

With the 10th pick we should be able to get at least a solid contributor and if we make the right pick even a star.

Askarov is extremely talented so it might be worth it but goalies are especially hard to evaluate and predict.

Fitz isn’t focused on the future right now and for his job he probably can’t afford to be. That doesn’t mean he’s being reckless but the moves he’s looking to make are for immediate help. Not in a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad