GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - June 28th - 7 P.M. / Round 2-7 - June 29th - 11 A.M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lmao this might be one of the crazier things I’ve ever read on here.

Without even getting to fact that a player can’t really refuse to play a position. Strongly object to it I suppose
It's not unprecedented guys forcing a trade before the draft - Eli and John Elway in football, Lindros here...but generally it's not gonna be for something as silly as playing one position over another, that'd be a bit of a red flag anyway if a guy said he refuses to play a position and wanted a trade.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The Devils would still take him, every team would. He’s the only slam dunk pick in the draft. Every team would take him at #1 regardless of their roster.
Theyd sooner trade back

No team is putting themselves in the position of balancing three 1st overall centers in time, money, and linemates. Its not a puzzle that can be solved because the piece doesnt fit

BPA is just a way for fans and media to say 'his ceiling is high and I like him' - yet you dont nor have ever seen a team continually draft the same position, when odds are BPA lined up that way more times than once

If some teams or managers truly were BPA-only then youd have seen multiple instances in recent memory, let alone history, where a team drafted a same position in the top-3 rounds for multiple drafts.

It just doesnt happen - and the likelihood of BPA never lining up more than twice in a row for the same position is much lower than the idea that it doesnt even exist nor would there ever be a consensus

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Drafting 'Best Player Available' is and always has been a myth

Every single pick made is based on need

Just as a hypothetical: if a team had just drafted Luke Hughes and Owen Power top-5 picks b2b years - there is a less than 0% chance they take the 'BPA' in another LD top-5 in a third draft in a row. Not even would they take a consensus 1st overall, theyd trade out

Thats because theres inherently a need for every reason behind taking a pick; it never was or will be as simple as 'i think he ends up the best'

I think both play a part and it differs depending where you are in the draft.

At the absolute top of the draft, you probably go BPA - that's what the Rangers essentially did with Laf and Kakko.

As you get a bit further down in the first round, it's probably more of a combination - for example, even if the Devils had Yakemchuk or Parekh as their BPA tonight, they're not going to draft them at #10 as they don't need RHD or offensive defensemen...plus I'm sure they have other players rated comparably.

Further down into the draft you could be going BPA as there's less of a chance of said player making it to the NHL and even if they do they likely have a long path and who knows how the team will look several years down the line. Or you could go by need if there's a glaring hole, such as goaltending depth, in your organization.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Lmao this might be one of the crazier things I’ve ever read on here.

Without even getting to fact that a player can’t really refuse to play a position. Strongly object to it I suppose
See whatd happen if you told Jack hes playing wing the rest of his career here - hed be gone sooner than we could blink

And Ill entertain this notion that its crazy when I see one single instance of a team taking more than two high picks of the same position in drafts close to each other; just one instance is all I ask

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Not at all. Still gives us a potential goalie of the future while also removing the risk of it tanking the next couple of years. It's not going to happen, though.
like if there was a potentially #1 goalie available at 10 we would probably be a team looking at them. why not try to snag one that’s more developed and probably ready to be a backup this year and a starter in 2 years when markstrom is up.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Theyd sooner trade back

No team is putting themselves in the position of balancing three 1st overall centers in time, money, and linemates. Its not a puzzle that can be solved because the piece doesnt fit

BPA is just a way for fans and media to say 'his ceiling is high and I like him' - yet you dont nor have ever seen a team continually draft the same position, when odds are BPA lined up that way more times than once

If some teams or managers truly were BPA-only then youd have seen multiple instances in recent memory, let alone history, where a team drafted a same position in the top-3 rounds for multiple drafts.

It just doesnt happen - and the likelihood of BPA never lining up more than twice in a row for the same position is much lower than the idea that it doesnt even exist nor would there ever be a consensus
1719596413171.png

1719596505328.png

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Id still acquire Askarov if Schmid goes the other way

Year 1 -Have Daws start and Askarov backup in the A
Year 2-have Nico backup Markstrom and Askarov start in the A
Year 3 - have Askarov and Daws battle it out akin to Ullmark and Swayman

Not sure its worth it for us but itd certainly be a 'all-in' for the goaltending

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
See whatd happen if you told Jack hes playing wing the rest of his career here - hed be gone sooner than we could blink

And Ill entertain this notion that its crazy when I see one single instance of a team taking more than two high picks of the same position in drafts close to each other; just one instance is all I ask
It doesn't happen because the amount of things that need to happen for that to be a thing is so unlikely anyway. Having two or three high picks in a row where the clear BPA is a LHD each time, it just generally doesn't work out that way. Plus you don't usually have high picks as goalies, maybe one every few years, if you have centers as high picks one can always be shifted to wing, etc.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Not in this debate, but that’s actually an interesting exercise that got me thinking. The most recent one I can think of is SJ. Will Smith (4th overall in 2023) and Celebrini (1st overall tonight), both centers.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Askarov is a move we would make next summer. He will be RFA next summer, that's when you bring him in. Give him a 2-3 year deal for 1b money and have him back up Markstrom's final season, then slide him in as a full starter and see what he can do. If he's ready, you open up the check book and happily pay him. If not, move on.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

There ya go. That good enough for you?

As for the Jack scenario. One I’m not sure in what world we would tell him that. Two, where exactly would he go before we could blink? To another sport?

Reactions: HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I mean it's not Bob, but the NHL scouts, so there should be more weight on it. And the main point I was trying to make was not if he's good or not, but what are the odds he gets picked by Fitz or anyone in top15 if majority of the NHL scouts think he's outside top15?
I get that it's a survey, but the same scouts had Seider at something like 16-17 in the survey so clearly it's not so much about a broad consensus so much as it is what strikes the chief scout and GM of a given team. I'm skeptical NJ picks MBN just because they have so many choices and betting on any one is tricky but if they like him best when their turn comes they will pick him. Similar to what happened with Mukhamadullin.

Reactions: Guadana

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Askarov is a move we would make next summer. He will be RFA next summer, that's when you bring him in. Give him a 2-3 year deal for 1b money and have him back up Markstrom's final season, then slide him in as a full starter and see what he can do. If he's ready, you open up the check book and happily pay him. If not, move on.
Only problem being we don't have a 1st to trade at that point. Perhaps Casey or something similar depending on how their years go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad