2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
The more players I watch the more I understand why we are seeing more forwards receiving interest than D. Im not seeing the same potential with some of these D as others are. At 6 I want a first liner or top pairing D. I'm liking the idea that Demidov might slip to 6.

Also watched some tape on Dominik Badinka. I'd be surprised if he falls to 38. Really like his potential. In my opinion he's better than players ranked in the top 20. Great first pass, very composed (even in SHL), good hands and solid vision. Being a 6'3 RHD is great too.

Jesse Pulkkinen will be a typical shut down guy if he makes it. Decent skater, ok first pass. his game will be built around his size at 6'6. Not much there in terms of offensive potential

Trevor Connelly actually gets more impressive the more I watch. Some of his best performances are even against the best team in the league. If this kid falls to the 20's, then someone is likely getting one of the top steals of the draft.

Reactions: DustyDangler

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The more players I watch the more I understand why we are seeing more forwards receiving interest than D. Im not seeing the same potential with some of these D as others are. At 6 I want a first liner or top pairing D. I'm liking the idea that Demidov might slip to 6.

Also watched some tape on Dominik Badinka. I'd be surprised if he falls to 38. Really like his potential. In my opinion he's better than players ranked in the top 20. Great first pass, very composed (even in SHL), good hands and solid vision. Being a 6'3 RHD is great too.

Jesse Pulkkinen will be a typical shut down guy if he makes it. Decent skater, ok first pass. his game will be built around his size at 6'6. Not much there in terms of offensive potential

Trevor Connelly actually gets more impressive the more I watch. Some of his best performances are even against the best team in the league. If this kid falls to the 20's, then someone is likely getting one of the top steals of the draft.
Are you also watching NA blue liners or just the euros?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Are you also watching NA blue liners or just the euros
Bit of everything at the moment. Just don't have much access to CHL anymore. If the CHL games were televised (like the mem cup or some playoffs) then I can get them. So most of my viewings on CHL players need to be at world tournaments or in the playoffs

It's easier to watch the euros though because in their respective pro leagues they typically only get like 10 min of playing time so I can see 6 of their games in an hour

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
So far I'm honestly not loving this draft class. There will obviously be some good players but I'm seeing why it's so wide open at the moment after #1. I still have a few players to watch though but right now I'm hoping for Demidov/Buium

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Bit of everything at the moment. Just don't have much access to CHL anymore. If the CHL games were televised (like the mem cup or some playoffs) then I can get them. So most of my viewings on CHL players need to be at world tournaments or in the playoffs

It's easier to watch the euros though because in their respective pro leagues they typically only get like 10 min of playing time so I can see 6 of their games in an hour
I use the CHL.tv app and it’s awesome. But they cut off access on June 1st and have no plan they can sell to watch just replays. And they won’t give it to me for free. lol.

So far I'm honestly not loving this draft class. There will obviously be some good players but I'm seeing why it's so wide open at the moment after #1. I still have a few players to watch though but right now I'm hoping for Demidov/Buium
I think 3-15 is going to be way above average, though.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I use the CHL.tv app and it’s awesome. But they cut off access on June 1st and have no plan they can sell to watch just replays. And they won’t give it to me for free. lol.

Im going to say top 20 but not 25. I expect even later rounds will be certain players who will have great careers!

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015

I'm really just watching for fun right now and I like this app because I can find something on pretty much any player at some point.

Im not having players jump out at me as much this year. Typically I can find one kid that will be a steal at 5-10 but I'm not getting any stand outs this year in that range yet.

Reactions: rt

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Watched some more on Silayev (u20 game to see him against his own age group) and Demidov (Pro games to see how he did against men).

Silayev is essentially Simashev but bigger and maybe a touch more composed with the puck in his own end. Both great skaters with size. Both are responsible players with a good first pass.

Demidov wouldn't surprise me if he did PPG or close to it in the VHL next year. He played one game and was able to get himself into a bunch of scoring opportunities. Very shifty with quick hands and his confidence with the puck on his stick even against men is impressive. Still needs to get stronger though. Got pushed around a bit, but not more than you'd expect him to being an 18 year old against career hockey players.

Also watched what I could for Cayden Lindstrom. Actually really liked his game. Reminded me of Getzlaf with more of a shoot first vs. pass style. Loved his willingness to use his body, which he also uses to effectively protect the puck, passes better than most shoot first players, his hands and vision are both good too. He's got a great shot with a quick release. His injuries worry me though, especially his back. Watching him skate some games reminded me of Gabe Vilardi who had constant back injuries from the age of 17. But if our doctors say he's good then I wouldn't be disappointed with him at 6 either.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Watched Yakemchuk today. Gotta say the kid is very impressive, really enjoyed his game. He's pretty damn smart with his pinches, anticipates incredibly well. He might have choppy skating but it's not bad by any means and the players I've seen with that problem typically figure it out. Great hands and uses his size well. Great shot. His transition game was great too.

I really only had a couple small gripes from what I saw, someone will get a good player with him

Magonus1703

May 3, 2017
What is your top 6 list looking like? In other words a list you hope Utah will draft a player from.

For me it is more forward heavy than I would have thought earlier. I value hockey sense and puck skill above everything else:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Buium
4. Iginla
5. Catton
6. Levshunov

Reactions: Mangosteen

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
What is your top 6 list looking like? In other words a list you hope Utah will draft a player from.

For me it is more forward heavy than I would have thought earlier. I value hockey sense and puck skill above everything else:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Buium
4. Iginla
5. Catton
6. Levshunov
Chicago won't pass up Levshunov.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I wish the Hawks were publicly talking about trading there pick.. Would love to draft 2 and get Levshunov

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Buium
4. Iginla
5. Catton
6. Levshunov
I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these 6. There are so many to like, I just wish we had more top 15 firsts.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Watched Iginla, Catton and Luvshunov.

All good players. Don't think I want any of them at 6 though.
Luvshunov is the most promising of the 3. Good player. Strong two way game with size.

Don't want any of them at 6, but if we do end up with one it id personally prefer Levshunov. Only one I think I'd use a top 10 on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4