GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft, at The Sphere in Vegas, Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. edt | SN, TVA Sports, ESPN, NHLN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who will Montreal draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
WTH - draft day revelation I need to fly my ass back to Asia.

El Nido boy here, too much watermelon on boats.
Just booked my flight to Siargao, then Coron and Palawan by early next week! Philippines is amazing. People are great, food is surprisingly excellent, beautiful place all in all.

Reactions: SOLR

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Kent Hughes this morning:

Ivan Demidov meme.jpeg

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We went from, why draft Reinbacher when Saleyev, Luv, Parehk, Buium, Dickenson are potential number 1 defenseman next year to "we cant draft them"
Agreed, it's crazy. Not to say none will be better or worse, but Reinbacher is absolutely in that conversation with all of them in my view. That's coming from someone who was disappointed by his pick. We really underrate Reinbacher.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
If Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board I have no problem taking Buium but God damn if Demidov is there and we don't take him? Id be at a loss of words... we've been deprived of this kind of skill at forward for a long long time. Please let him fall to 5 and we take him

Fair point, but again..

We need to be very careful...

We can't make decisions based on emotions like "omg we haven't had forward skill" only.

That's how we drafted KK at #3 because "Omg big Center we haven't had"

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
If Demidov is there at 3, I’d offer Anaheim Guhle + #26 + next year’s 1st (top 5 protected).

Not sure it is enough, but imagine getting a duo of Demidov + one of Buim/Dickinson or Lindstrom at 5 if you swing for the fence with forwards.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I read it differently - I think Grant’s pouting about Shane’s choice of words implying that he can offer Grant useful “insight” or information that Grant wouldn’t otherwise have. Puts them on equal footing rather than deferring to Grant’s (imagined) expertise. There’s a shift in Grant’s body language immediately after Shane says this - tension in his mouth, shifts in his chair. In saying this, Grant is made aware of an old wound - people perceive him as a pretend scout as he’s not at the combine doing interviews, is not experiencing a lot of success with Recrutes, and not actually working with a team. Classic trigger for individuals with unhealthy ego, poor self-esteem, or delusions of grandeur to be put on the same level as those they see as lesser than them. Grant follows up the perceived slight with a criticism of Shane’s reporting and downplays the value of what he’s sharing. Grant doesn’t really comment on Levshunov, but he does focus on Shane. Not great to see.

Very fragile ego either way. If it were me reacting this way on a fairly regular basis, I’d want to talk to someone about it as it’s pretty embarrassing to have it all over the internet.

This is halfway a joke btw, not a therapist. Just adding flavour to the thread.

Grant was on the NHL Network on Sirrius the other day with I believe Steve Kouleas and Grant sounded pretty down. Kouleas was complimenting the Recrutes’ draft guide and Grant said this one is probably the last and how hard it is to put it together and I think he mentioned it wasn’t worth the return financially.

I mean, I get it’s tough but man, Grant just killed the vibes on the show and sounded so depressed. I don’t know Kouleas’ reach for this midday show, but I basically switched channels after that.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think a host and guest should project a little more positive energy, even if they have to fake it, to make for better radio.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
If Demidov is there at 3, I’d offer Anaheim Guhle + #26 + next year’s 1st (top 5 protected).

Not sure it is enough, but imagine getting a duo of Demidov + one of Buim/Dickinson or Lindstrom at 5 if you swing for the fence with forwards.

It's not even close to enough.

They will laugh at you.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board I have no problem taking Buium but God damn if Demidov is there and we don't take him? Id be at a loss of words... we've been deprived of this kind of skill at forward for a long long time. Please let him fall to 5 and we take him
I don't think Gorton would let them do that again. He all but said he wanted Michkov last year and that the staff went with the safe pick and has been saying all along that he wants the most elite level player he can get. To do this two years in a row would be shocking IMO.

I'd be fine with it IF they ended up trading for two top 6, young, core forwards to round out the lineup. But Buium alone without adding more forward help makes zero sense.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Wow I had Silayev and Buium as the 1-2 defenseman in this class and the Habs do to. Pretty crazy, but I love it.

Get a 1D at 5 and use 26 in a package for a forward.

So I have this in the back of my head.

Every move KH has made so far follows the trend of getting someone who can contribute in the NHL sooner rather than later.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Suzuki and Caufield are both on their main contracts, so the window for this core is around 7 years. If we're going to win with this group it'll be in the next 7 years.

Reinbacher is NHL bound this year or next. Getting guys like Dach and Newhook are moves that see these guys develop in the NHL. Some of the other draft picks last hear were overagers or pro players that can make the transition sooner.

I don't know if I see them drafting someone that will take 4-5 years to become a true NHL producer. Maybe they draft a longer term project for the future and use other assets to get a 22-23 year old breakout candidate.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So I have this in the back of my head.

Every move KH has made so far follows the trend of getting someone who can contribute in the NHL sooner rather than later.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Suzuki and Caufield are both on their main contracts, so the window for this core is around 7 years. If we're going to win with this group it'll be in the next 7 years.

Reinbacher is NHL bound this year or next. Getting guys like Dach and Newhook are moves that see these guys develop in the NHL. Some of the other draft picks last hear were overagers or pro players that can make the transition sooner.

I don't know if I see them drafting someone that will take 4-5 years to become a true NHL producer. Maybe they draft a longer term project for the future and use other assets to get a 22-23 year old breakout candidate.
That's why they need to add another good 23-25 years old and draft someone who will be on the team next year at the latest.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That would actually be so exciting. You know storm is coming after a pick like this, all the lists are fumbled and gamblers lose their mind
I'm crossing my fingers for a super chaotic draft. Those are fun to follow.

Saying that, mocks from people on the floor are now slotting Sennecke/Buium for Anahiem/Columbus, but neither of these are good enough for Monréal somehow. Actually, I wonder how much all the noise about the Habs being high on these two are causing them to climb. :laugh:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Tkachuk and Barkov are both 90 points player. The former has had 100+ and is a shit-disturber and the latter is also the best defensive forward in the league right now. We have nothing even close, and I didnt even bring up Reinhart yet who is also better than anything we have.
Reinhart has benefitted from being on a fantastic team. This years goal totals are somewhat of an outlier. I’d take Suzuki over him anyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad