2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Celebrini isn't Crosby but he plays a Crosby game... Highly intelligent, 200ft, high motor, high skill, makes his teammates better but can also put the team on his back and score. Demidov is scoring 5 goals in the equivalent of the CHL, while Celebrini is at nearly 2ppg against older, stronger opposition in the NCAA and shined as Canada's best forward in a group of the world's best U19s, and he's still 17 until June I think! Dude is a stud.

It really sucks that Russia isn't participating in all these prospect events so we can see direct comps (Putin's fault), so we didn't get to see them on the same ice in December and January. but Celebrini is being talked about as closer to a MacKinnon than a Barzal. And anyway you'd take a center with a Barzal floor and a MacKinnon or even, say Hischier ceiling in a heartbeat vs a Kucherov ceiling that could end up as any number of promising flashy Russian forwards that didn't make it.

That said, Demidov is definitely pushing himself into the conversation again after his injury.

That tidbit from the Masisak article on Hasso stood out to me - "Hasso likes Russian wingers and pushed for Barabanov"... Which is more smoke re: maybe Michkov did indeed make it clear he didn't want to play for us.

I will take a Kucherov ceiling player over a Hischier ceiling player any day of the week, unless our prospect pool is already filled with either high risk prospects, or a severe lack of center prospects.

Neither of those describe the Sharks current prospect pool. We have a lack of everything for the most part. However I would love to go for a winger to play with Smith.

You say he's being said to be closer to Mack than Barzal, does that mean you really think he is a prospect that will be closer to leading the league in points every year and/or consistently in the conversation for best player in the league(after Mcdavid), than he will be to hovering around the PPG mark, with maybe a few years at this peak where he starts getting into that conversation?

Heck looking at the top scoring centers right now, I would say I expect a Barzal, Aho, Zib type level of player than I would a Mack type player when I watch Celebrini. Heck I would be thrilled if he hit a Pettersson level of play, and he is not even on a Mack level. Meanwhile IF Demidov is truly a Kucherov ceiling player and hits, that is indeed in the Mack tier of player, and thus why I would take the risk over the safer play, with this prospect pool, and in a draft that does not have a bonafide unquestionable 1st OA type prospect like Bedard was last year.

In the end though, if we get 1st OA and draft Celebrini I will be stoked, and will immediately begin to hope my very minimal experience trying to watch and project prospects will ultimately lead to me being dead wrong about my expectations for him.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Celebrini definitely has the game of a true 1OA. He's got the profile of Crosby/Toews/Hischier as a two-way potential elite scorer. If you pair him with Smith as your top-2 centres, it reminds me of when the Kings had Kopitar-Carter, or another version of what the Devils have in Hischier-Hughes (no Smith is not as good as Hughes)

I have Demidov in that next tier with Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, and Eiserman. I think they're all so close that I would rather the Sharks take Levshunov, Lindstrom, or Dickinson based on the need for C or D.

As of Jan 25, I would be happy with any one of Celebrini, Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, Lindstrom, or Demidov. Some would take more thinking than others, but we'll see how the second half shakes out.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Heck looking at the top scoring centers right now, I would say I expect a Barzal, Aho, Zib type level of player than I would a Mack type player when I watch Celebrini. Heck I would be thrilled if he hit a Pettersson level of play, and he is not even on a Mack level. Meanwhile IF Demidov is truly a Kucherov ceiling player and hits, that is indeed in the Mack tier of player, and thus why I would take the risk over the safer play, with this prospect pool, and in a draft that does not have a bonafide unquestionable 1st OA type prospect like Bedard was last year.
You're really pumping up Demidov while discrediting Celebrini here. They have the same odds (I would even lean more to Celebrini) of becoming a legit franchise player. And while neither are sure things, Celebrini has a much higher floor and is a center. Elias Pettersson is one of the best centers in the league right now, and even he was considered a reach at 5th overall on draft day. Celebrini is seen as a good/strong 1OA, he's just not a Bedard/McDavid.

If you think Celebrini is more likely to become a Barzal type, you have to play the safe game with Demidov too. Who's to say he's not a Tarasenko level player?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
3rd post here of the morning but there's lots to talk about with the CHL top prospect game being played lastnight.

Sam Dickinson has gotten better and better as the year has gone on. He is the safest of the top dmen by far, and could be the next Alex Pietrangelo. Even if his offense doesn't translate to the NHL, you're looking at guy who you send out for 20+ mins and not have to worry about anything. We NEED that. There will definitely be teams that think about the home run swings in Levshunov or Silayev though.

Tij Iginla has impressed almost everyone. He could be in range of the PIT pick, and if we grab a D with our own 1st, he'd be an amazing pick. He and Catton are amazing skaters. Catton just reminds me of a better skating Benson from last year.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I will take a Kucherov ceiling player over a Hischier ceiling player any day of the week, unless our prospect pool is already filled with either high risk prospects, or a severe lack of center prospects.

You say he's being said to be closer to Mack than Barzal, does that mean you really think he is a prospect that will be closer to leading the league in points every year and/or consistently in the conversation for best player in the league(after Mcdavid)?

Heck looking at the top scoring centers right now, I would say I expect a Barzal, Aho, Zib type level of player than I would a Mack type player when I watch Celebrini. Heck I would be thrilled if he hit a Pettersson level of play, and he is not even on a Mack level.

In the end though, if we get 1st OA and draft Celebrini I will be stoked, and will immediately begin to hope my very minimal experience trying to watch and project prospects will ultimately lead to me being dead wrong about my expectations for him.
Who knows, I'm just a dude who reads a lot about the draft and watches a lot of hockey.

People are saying Celebrini could be a franchise centerpiece. Better comps than Mac and Crosby are Toews and Tavares. Toews needed a Kane, but Kane also needed a Toews and Demidov is not at the Kane level. Tavares has had a 1000 point career and singlehandedly made the Islanders relevant for years. They didn't build all that well around him to become a true contender. When people comp to Mac I've seen them comping Mac at the time of the draft. Remember he did not become what he is right away, and in fact struggled for a while on the Avs and wasn't seen as the centerpiece yet but a very very good up and coming center for a while. Now, he's a Hart contender for the second year in a row. Celebrini has that upside, but if that were his expected level then he'd be a generational pick.

Demidov is an extremely high end skilled winger but probably below Michkov for raw skill. He'll score a ton of points.

Stewie said it well: if you play the upside game with one you have to play it with the other, and not compare upside to downside. If Celebrini's downside is Barzal to you, you can't compare that to Demidov's upside, your need to compare it to his downside, and visa versa.

You could have a Toews/Mac/Hischier/Barzal or a Kucherov/Tarasenko/Viktor Kozlov/Yakupov.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
3rd post here of the morning but there's lots to talk about with the CHL top prospect game being played lastnight.
The game thread is a good read. Just one game, but Greentree, Yakemchuk seemed to universally impress.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The game thread is a good read. Just one game, but Greentree, Yakemchuk seemed to universally impress.

My absolute dream scenario that I think is realistic is:
1. Celebrini
11/12/13: Yakemchuk

I'd rather Yakemchuk then Parekh/Buium

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My absolute dream scenario that I think is realistic is:
1. Celebrini
11/12/13: Yakemchuk

I'd rather Yakemchuk then Parekh/Buium
My list for those D is Parekh, Yakemchuk, Buium.

Buium screams bust to me. I’m doing a mock draft with the Sharks over on the mock draft boards so I’ll post who I drafted once it’s done as well as a little write up of why.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
My list for those D is Parekh, Yakemchuk, Buium.

Buium screams bust to me. I’m doing a mock draft with the Sharks over on the mock draft boards so I’ll post who I drafted once it’s done as well as a little write up of why.
It's what makes this draft exciting! Parekh screams bust to a lot of folks. Gonna be fun to see how the top 15 / first round shakes out.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
My concern with taking Demidov is that elite wingers are much easier to acquire than an elite center or defensemen. Guys like gaudreau and Panarin reached free agency and were signed by other teams. Guys like Meier and Debrincat are traded frequently. With true #1 centers you almost never see them traded or reach free agency except in special circumstances. The only two #1 centers I can remember being traded in recent memory is Thornton and Eichel and both had special circumstances that made them possible to acquire via trade. Demidov is a smaller winger who looks to be a very good player but I would rather the Sharks go for guys who could be top centers or defenseman. Demidov needs to be firmly ahead all of the other non-Celebrini prospects for me to want to take him before a Lindstrom or Levshunov who play more valuable positions.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
My concern with taking Demidov is that elite wingers are much easier to acquire than an elite center or defensemen. Guys like gaudreau and Panarin reached free agency and were signed by other teams. Guys like Meier and Debrincat are traded frequently. With true #1 centers you almost never see them traded or reach free agency except in special circumstances. The only two #1 centers I can remember being traded in recent memory is Thornton and Eichel and both had special circumstances that made them possible to acquire via trade. Demidov is a smaller winger who looks to be a very good player but I would rather the Sharks go for guys who could be top centers or defenseman. Demidov needs to be firmly ahead all of the other non-Celebrini prospects for me to want to take him before a Lindstrom or Levshunov who play more valuable positions.
That is assuming Lindstrom has any chance of becoming a Thornton or Eichel type player though (he doesn't). Lindstrom seems pretty similar to Kirby Dach imo. Better shot, but shorter, slower, and not as good of a passer.

For all we know Lindstrom becomes a wing at the NHL level while Demidov makes the move to center.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That is assuming Lindstrom has any chance of becoming a Thornton or Eichel type player though (he doesn't). Lindstrom seems pretty similar to Kirby Dach imo. Better shot, but shorter, slower, and not as good of a passer.

For all we know Lindstrom becomes a wing at the NHL level while Demidov makes the move to center.
Lindstrom is blowing Dach's DY WHL production out of the water. He's averaging more goals per game than Dach was averaging assists. They're also the same size right now and Lindstrom is 17 with potential to grow.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Lindstrom is blowing Dach's DY WHL production out of the water. He's averaging more goals per game than Dach was averaging assists. They're also the same size right now and Lindstrom is 17 with potential to grow.
PLD then, think that's a more accurate comparison?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
PLD then, think that's a more accurate comparison?
Maybe? I know everyone loves to shit on PLD these days but I'd be more than happy to get a player like that 2nd or 3rd overall in this draft. Lindstrom actually uses his size too.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Dach when healthy is pretty damn good.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
A little higher, but the WHL is a higher scoring league and he plays with better play drivers. Better goal scorer, worse passer, and plays with players who influence his production more than he does theirs. None of them are posting absurd stats and I find that concerning.

• Wow

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm sorry, did Macklin Celebrini have 20 shots
1706411745369.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad