2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
After hearing people talk about Levshunov I went on a deep dive on him and boy does he sound like someone Grier would like. Other than the obvious skills and size package, there was a whole article on how hard he works, how he’s out on the ice long after his teammates have gone, how he’s a gym rat that’s all muscle, etc etc.

Sounds like an okay consolation prize and damn do we need D guys with his ability.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
After seeing our defense this year, I'm all for trying to add more defensive talent in the system if the #1 pick isn't in the cards. Any forwards we get are just going to be depressed like Eklund is nowadays cause they barely get any time in the offensive zone.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Very occasionally I wonder if Catton is #2. Sometimes. I need to do a ton more watching though. He doesn’t have the physical profile of a few of the top contenders for that spot, but his skill is legit.

7th in total WHL scoring and pacing for 49G +66A -> 115P!

The only WHL player(s) since 2000 with a higher U18 PPG than Catton (not counting guys with like 12 games) are... Bedard, fullstop.

He's recently surpassed Petan, Jarvis, Benson.

Size and dynamics aside make Lindstrom (6'5 multifaceted beast) a more wholesome option alongside Smith and Eklund, but in terms of pure skill Catton might be the closest thing to Celebrini there is to offer in this draft. Nylander/Keller type.

Feels a bit under discussed this draft cycle.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Very occasionally I wonder if Catton is #2. Sometimes. I need to do a ton more watching though. He doesn’t have the physical profile of a few of the top contenders for that spot, but his skill is legit.
If Catton weren’t 5’10”, I could definitely be convinced that he’s #2. He’s very skilled.

After hearing people talk about Levshunov I went on a deep dive on him and boy does he sound like someone Grier would like. Other than the obvious skills and size package, there was a whole article on how hard he works, how he’s out on the ice long after his teammates have gone, how he’s a gym rat that’s all muscle, etc etc.

Sounds like an okay consolation prize and damn do we need D guys with his ability.
Yup, it’s not just the on-ice play that makes me prefer him at #2, but rather that he seems extremely dedicated (rink rat/gym rat/leaving his family at 16 to move to a different country for hockey) and that all his coaches and teammates rave about him. His defensive ability is a little rough and he’s super raw, but if I had to bet on any archetype to overcome defensive shortcomings as a teenager, it’s a 6’2” physical specimen with insane work ethic.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

GMMG: "With the first pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, the San Jose Sharks are proud to select.. ARTYOM LEVSHUNOV from MICHIGAN STATE"

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

If Catton weren’t 5’10”, I could definitely be convinced that he’s #2. He’s very skilled.

Yup, it’s not just the on-ice play that makes me prefer him at #2, but rather that he seems extremely dedicated (rink rat/gym rat/leaving his family at 16 to move to a different country for hockey) and that all his coaches and teammates rave about him. His defensive ability is a little rough and he’s super raw, but if I had to bet on any archetype to overcome defensive shortcomings as a teenager, it’s a 6’2” physical specimen with insane work ethic.
There's a lot to like about his raw tools and off ice attitude etc, but the on ice decision making is a bit concerning. I have my opinion from a few games watching, but it's more concerning that pro scouts also have their doubts about his decision making and defensive play. That's probably why he's not a lock for 2 or 3, and why silayev, Dickinson, buium, etc are still in the discussion.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There's a lot to like about his raw tools and off ice attitude etc, but the on ice decision making is a bit concerning. I have my opinion from a few games watching, but it's more concerning that pro scouts also have their doubts about his decision making and defensive play. That's probably why he's not a lock for 2 or 3, and why silayev, Dickinson, buium, etc are still in the discussion.
Totally reasonable. That’s why I keep waffling. :laugh:

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Levshunov is putting up some impressive numbers for a D man his age in the NCAA. Maybe he just wasn't on in those games against BC back in October. Four months is a lot of time to improve in a draft year, so hopefully he's worked out some the kinks in his game. I'm definitely gonna have to give him another watch.

While I'd love for us to draft a Dman with the 2nd or 3rd OA, I just like Lindstrom too much. He's having a similar rise to McTavish in his draft season, and while he's not a bulldog like McTavish, Lindstrom isn't shy about driving to the net. What separates him, imo, from some of the other top forwards in this draft class is his ability to create space. Also love how well he utilizes his teammates. Two traits I think will translate very will to the NHL. Personally, I feel like his ceiling is sky high.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I don't even know this year at #2, maybe its the type of year to trade back a couple times and still leave with like Buium and more darts
I'd loving doing this. I doubt we will but I think this is the best draft philosophy. Get as many dart throws as possible and see who sticks. These guys are 17 and 18 and probably won't be NHL players, get as many chances possible to get guys who could be good.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It's so hard to pick a favorite defenseman in this class.

Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, Parekh, and Buium are all fantastic in their own way.

Combined with Celebrini, Eiserman, Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, Helenius that's a good top-11. If someone like MBN or Yakemchuk get selected higher too, we could get a really good player with the Pens pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's so hard to pick a favorite defenseman in this class.

Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, Parekh, and Buium are all fantastic in their own way.

Combined with Celebrini, Eiserman, Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, Helenius that's a good top-11. If someone like MBN or Yakemchuk get selected higher too, we could get a really good player with the Pens pick.
Depends on what type of dmen you’re in but need, I think levshunov is best dmen in draft and someone I’d put in Mintyukov/nemec/jiricek tier

I want to love silayev but those big unicorn type players scare me.

If we miss out on levshunov, I think I’d want to trade down and aim at yakemchuk.

Parekh and biuim seem like good options if you need fire power from back end.

Mews, kiviharju were really hyped prior to the season and kinda falling down board a bit…. But I like both guys upsides.

Jiricek will drop a bit and could be a nice pick up later in first.

I’m hoping EJ Emery is available with our 2nd….
6’3 right handed defensive defensemen who skates well and plays physical.

Even tho Anaheim prob needs to focus on forwards depth, I could see us taking 3-4 dmen in the first 3 rounds…. Just a ton of dmen in this draft and I don’t really love any of the forwards

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Depends on what type of dmen you’re in but need, I think levshunov is best dmen in draft and someone I’d put in Mintyukov/nemec/jiricek tier

I want to love silayev but those big unicorn type players scare me.

If we miss out on levshunov, I think I’d want to trade down and aim at yakemchuk.

Parekh and biuim seem like good options if you need fire power from back end.

Mews, kiviharju were really hyped prior to the season and kinda falling down board a bit…. But I like both guys upsides.

Jiricek will drop a bit and could be a nice pick up later in first.

I’m hoping EJ Emery is available with our 2nd….
6’3 right handed defensive defensemen who skates well and plays physical.

Even tho Anaheim prob needs to focus on forwards depth, I could see us taking 3-4 dmen in the first 3 rounds…. Just a ton of dmen in this draft and I don’t really love any of the forwards
Too many "we" as a Ducks fan in Sharks draft thread. "You" dont need anything! We need all the prospects!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Too many "we" as a Ducks fan in Sharks draft thread. "You" dont need anything! We need all the prospects!
I’m actively rooting for you guys to do well in the draft too, I like when both teams are good, was a big fan of your draft last season(musty is a stud)

Reactions: Jargon

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
There was an article in The Athletic today, pointing out that the Sharks have had the hardest schedule (by a significant margin) so far. The average expected points for the opponents the Sharks faced so far was 98, while the average expected points for the opponents the sharks will face in the 2nd half is 87 points. That’s a huge difference. That and a healthy Couture make me really really nervous…

Edit: on the bright side: Hawks are top 5 as well, their opponents AEP drops from 95 to 91.

Ducks from 95 to 89, but the schedule becomes road heavy.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
There was an article in The Athletic today, pointing out that the Sharks have had the hardest schedule (by a significant margin) so far. The average expected points for the opponents the Sharks faced so far was 98, while the average expected points for the opponents the sharks will face in the 2nd half is 87 points. That’s a huge difference. That and a healthy Couture make me really really nervous…
I don't think that matters much at all. The difference between 98 point teams and 87 points teams isn't that much, and we are a 40 point team worse than anyone else in the league.

Not only that, but every loss to Chicago or Anaheim just digs us further into our last place hole. The "easier schedule," which is also artificially inflated by our second-half opponents having less chance to boost their points percentages by beating the Sharks, can actually be a curse (or blessing).

Remember, we are a team that can't even put together an NHL-quality starting lineup if we stack our best players together. At best, we are no better than the Blackhawks or Ducks, and are probably just plain worse.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think that matters much at all. The difference between 98 point teams and 87 points teams isn't that much, and we are a 40 point team worse than anyone else in the league.

Not only that, but every loss to Chicago or Anaheim just digs us further into our last place hole. The "easier schedule," which is also artificially inflated by our second-half opponents having less chance to boost their points percentages by beating the Sharks, can actually be a curse (or blessing).

Remember, we are a team that can't even put together an NHL-quality starting lineup if we stack our best players together. At best, we are no better than the Blackhawks or Ducks, and are probably just plain worse.
Yeah, it really all comes down to those 3 games against the Blackhawks. Knowing the Sharks I'm expecting a sweep of that series to just barely push them out of last.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, it really all comes down to those 3 games against the Blackhawks. Knowing the Sharks I'm expecting a sweep of that series to just barely push them out of last.
Exactly. Each game will be up to a 4 point swing. 12 point end of season difference, up for grabs in just 3 games.

I don't think that the SOS will be "that" impactful, but I do think it'll get us to 20 wins. And I do think that the Hawks games are probably 50% contribution to where we end up.

And I agree... I bet we win 2 at least. :\

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Edit: on the bright side: Hawks are top 5 as well, their opponents AEP drops from 95 to 91.

Ducks from 95 to 89, but the schedule becomes road heavy.
The Sharks only have the easiest schedule because they don’t get to play the Sharks. :sarcasm:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The Sharks only have the easiest schedule because they don’t get to play the Sharks. :sarcasm:
I lold, but just to be even more sad... The fact that we don't even play us means our schedule is actually REALLY weak through ROS. if we played us, we would have an even weaker schedule.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Tracking strength of schedule in the NHL is pointless. Like 25 of these teams are essentially indistinguishable from each other in terms of overall quality and anything can happen in a single game depending on goaltending, injuries and countless other random factors.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
We're 0-12-0 in the past 12, and started the year 0-10-1. Yeah I don't think schedule is the problem here.
Despite that, the Hawks only have 5 more points… so the SOS could very well matter, especially if you consider what Couture might bring and that the Hawks are even weaker after cutting ties with Perry and now losing Bedard for 6-8 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad