Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Button may not be the best evaluator of talent out there, but his views are useful, because as a former GM, he knows how they think.

Sometimes his views reflect the biases that GMs have, even if he isn’t identifying strictly the best player available at each slot.
He doesn't watch players enough. In the moment of the game he is making good calls, but his today sample size is very limited.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Morrison looked very impressive in the AHL last year and even got a cup of coffee with the Kraken. I'm guessing he will make the NHL team this year out of camp.

I get the Devils passing on him as an 18 year old, but after his brilliant 2021-22 and 2022-23 campaigns it was harder to understand. I mean, Morrison played multiple seasons on the same Hamilton Bulldogs team as 2023 pick Cole Brown, and you didn't exactly need to be a pro scout to realize Morrison was the far-greater-upside player at a more valuable position. It's no secret the Devils pool is bereft at center -- what would make their scouts watch Morrison scoring 100+ points and dominating in the CHL playoffs and think, "nah we don't need to offer him a try-out"?

So yeah, my feelings are still hurting haha.

That's four high-end, top-10 worthy prospects and one, ah... 6'3 Canadian kid who scores a lot in the high-profile OHL.

You just dont understand, we don't need centers. You just need to understand it.

Its like every GM should have some pripez'd'(some kind of... specifism). shero was idiot when the topic was defense - didn't draft them, didn't develop them, mostly bad drafts, bad signs and trades, bad defensive philosophy, building and management. Awful.
Fitz is just bad in drafting and managing centers. Salminen was bad, Baumgartner wasn't good. Bardakov was good for his round, nice limited skills but awful trade. Schleine? Looks like he will not sign him even if he could be helpful for Utica at least. Am... Haula was traded and he is using as winger and faceoffer for Jack,.. Nosek wasn't great fit. Mmm... awful positional management in Utica. Some kind of allergy.

I like Fitz mostly but I can't close my eyes on the weak sides of his work. His centers management needs a lot of rethinking.

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pronman projected all 225 picks in the NHL Draft. Or as he said: "Today I attempt the nonsensical: projecting all 225 picks in the 2024 NHL Draft."

New Jersey Devils
10. Tij Iginla, C, Kelowna (WHL)
75. Colin Ralph, D, Shattuck – St. Mary’s Prep (HIGH-MN)
91. Raoul Boilard, C, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)
139. Nathan Aspinall, LW, Flint (OHL)
153. Eric Jamieson, D, Everett (WHL)
171. Jake Sondreal, C, Dubuque (USHL)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What are people’s thoughts on Brandseeg-Nygaard at #10?

At first glance his skill set looks like an incredible fit, but curious as to what the consensus is on him as a prospect compared to the others.
We've been talking extensively on the previous pages. People are very high on him. Our resident draft gurus prospect analysis slaves have him ranked as high as 6th or 7th.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

1718810020801.png

1718810046599.png

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Now that we have our goalie tandem, we can stop thinking about dealing this pick right? And focus on Brandsegg-Nygard as our new gritty mid six player?
No and no. Think there’s a chance Fitz is still trying to acquire a top 6 LW or top 4 LD. Second part not gonna say much but I don’t think that is worth a #10 pick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What jumps out at me is he’s super high on Iginla and Eiserman.

I'd do the same, but I wonder if Button is placing a little too much value into him drafting Jarome Iginla in 1995 as part of the Tij's evaluation. Craig was high on Arthur Kaliyev in 2019 as well and to his credit he was higher on Brock Boeser than most in 2015. Other vaguely similar "as long as he scores 30 goals, you can stomach him not being a complete player" type prospects as Eiserman.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd do the same, but I wonder if Button is placing a little too much value into him drafting Jarome Iginla in 1995 as part of the Tij's evaluation. Craig was high on Arthur Kaliyev in 2019 as well and to his credit he was higher on Brock Boeser than most in 2015. Other vaguely similar "as long as he scores 30 goals, you can stomach him not being a complete player" type prospects.
Tij Iginla is easy to explain. Button is still friends with Jerome Iginla. He's probably known Tij since he was a toddler. Of course he gave him a ratings boost, it's natural human psychology.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Haha, did you just start reading? Nygard at #10 would be an outstanding pick for New Jersey.
I’ve seen bits and pieces of discussion that look promising.

Everything I’ve seen made me excited for the possibility but a lot of the mocks I’ve seen have him going mid first round.

I’ve seen other guys like Dickinson/Iginla up in the top 5 and then also the Devils pick. MBN seems to always be in the 10-15 range so wasn’t sure if it was a stretch to pick him at #10.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve seen bits and pieces of discussion that look promising.

Everything I’ve seen made me excited for the possibility but a lot of the mocks I’ve seen have him going mid first round.

I’ve seen other guys like Dickinson/Iginla up in the top 5 and then also the Devils pick. MBN seems to always be in the 10-15 range so wasn’t sure if it was a stretch to pick him at #10.
I suggest you go back and read the last 20-40 pages of this thread. There's a lot of content on Nygard and all the other possibilities at #10.

The important thing to keep in mind about the 2024 draft is that it's wide open. After Celebrini goes #1 there are a wild amount of permutations as to what could happen.

Personally I have a very stable top 3 of Celebrini-Demidov-Lindstrom, but there are other opinions which dispute my own. Though of course we can't count on any of those three players falling to NJ at #10, there are probably about 10 players the Devils will be considering for the #10 pick, which is extraordinarily high.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Saw a thread about overagers for the draft, one guy who caught my eye was center Ondrej Becher.

Maybe a candidate for the Winnipeg 3rd? Since he's 20, he could jump to the AHL for next season.
We can draft our own and tell Hab fans to kick rocks finally.
IMG_3463.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Unless someone falls big time in the Draft hopefully we can trade down and get an additional pick while still taking the player we really want. After moving the 1st in 2025 it would be nice to recoup another asset for that loss but not at the expense of missing out on the BPA that the scouts are high on.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Unless someone falls big time in the Draft hopefully we can trade down and get an additional pick while still taking the player we really want. After moving the 1st in 2025 it would be nice to recoup another asset for that loss but not at the expense of missing out on the BPA that the scouts are high on.
As I said a couple of days ago, this is not something you do. If you’re trading down, you can bet there’s a pretty good chance the player you wanted won’t be there still. You certainly can’t count on it and say not at the expense of the BPA.

If there’s a player you really want you take them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad