GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now that the dust has settled from the draft, I figured we’d hear some things about Siren or Timmons moving on by now if it were to happen.

Here’s hoping they stay on and the amateur scouts stick around.
Why? I think I could do just as well picking guys from reading write-ups. I would have missed Chinakov and probably most of the budding 3rd & 4th liners currently developing in Cleveland.
If they stay ok but if they leave I don't see the big deal.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why? I think I could do just as well picking guys from reading write-ups. I would have missed Chinakov and probably most of the budding 3rd & 4th liners currently developing in Cleveland.
If they stay ok but if they leave I don't see the big deal.
Think you would have hit on Gavrikov in the 6th and Voronkov in the 4th?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Add Bjorkstrand and Nutivaara just to add a couple more.
3 out of 4 no longer here. I wouldn't have picked them...:naughty:

My whole point is if our scouting and drafting was so good why don't we have any of the gems still here and contributing?. Marchenko I wanted and he slipped to the 2nd so good job there, KJ I'm still not convinced is going to live up to being a 5thOA.

If they stay or go I'm ok either way.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am not going to start a 2025 thread, but one guy to watch is Ilya Ryabkin. He is a Russian center and he is signed through 2027, so he might fall a few spots later than he should. We can wait on him and we have potential Russian linemates to help him get used to the NHL when he comes over. He is the kind of guy who could fall to 7 or 8 so if we improve but are still pretty bad, he could be our guy.

Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3 out of 4 no longer here. I wouldn't have picked them...:naughty:

My whole point is if our scouting and drafting was so good why don't we have any of the gems still here and contributing?. Marchenko I wanted and he slipped to the 2nd so good job there, KJ I'm still not convinced is going to live up to being a 5thOA.

If they stay or go I'm ok either way.

That's like blaming the interior decorator if a house gets swallowed by a volcano. "If it was so pretty then where's the house?" C'mon.

I am not going to start a 2025 thread, but one guy to watch is Ilya Ryabkin. He is a Russian center and he is signed through 2027, so he might fall a few spots later than he should. We can wait on him and we have potential Russian linemates to help him get used to the NHL when he comes over. He is the kind of guy who could fall to 7 or 8 so if we improve but are still pretty bad, he could be our guy.

Since we passed on Demidov it really has me wondering how big of a role the "russian factor" is in this. And that factor seems to largely be about old school scouts strongly feeling that they need to see a prospect in person to develop trust in them. I personally don't feel that way but it seems to pop up in every scouts comments about the top Russians.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Since we passed on Demidov it really has me wondering how big of a role the "russian factor" is in this.
I really don't think it has any impact at all to the CBJ. Our roster has tons of Russians. Our pool has some Russians. We have a good Russian mentor for the players here with Tyutin. Waddell's staff drafted plenty of Russians in Carolina. Waddell has talked all summer about getting bigger and harder to play against. Now I don't think thats a good reason to pass on a Demidov, but Lindstrom is a big center and if he hits is more "valuable." I take it at their word that they had Lindstrom 2nd behind Celebrini.

Realistically, Russians almost always come over. Even post Ukraine conflict. The larger issue appears to be with the US college kids, at least in my mind. Its a bigger risk. You may end up waiting longer for Russian kids, but they almost always come over.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really don't think it has any impact at all to the CBJ. Our roster has tons of Russians. Our pool has some Russians. We have a good Russian mentor for the players here with Tyutin. Waddell's staff drafted plenty of Russians in Carolina. Waddell has talked all summer about getting bigger and harder to play against. Now I don't think thats a good reason to pass on a Demidov, but Lindstrom is a big center and if he hits is more "valuable." I take it at their word that they had Lindstrom 2nd behind Celebrini.

Realistically, Russians almost always come over. Even post Ukraine conflict. The larger issue appears to be with the US college kids, at least in my mind. Its a bigger risk. You may end up waiting longer for Russian kids, but they almost always come over.

The reason I didn't mention anything to do with Russians not coming over, is because I think scouts not seeing the player live is what the Russian factor largely is at this point. I think that loomed large at the top of the draft, as opposed to taking a chance on a guy in the second round. It's not that our scouts didn't have Lindstrom ahead of Demidov, but that the lack of live viewings made them more distrustful of Demidov and is maybe what tipped the balance.

I agree with you that they come over. The "American factor" is bigger this point for Canadian clubs, I think there's a big chance that that is why the Senators and Flames passed on Buium. Both clubs have been much bigger concerns with Americans. The Flames alone lost Fox, Gaudreau, and Matthew Tkachuk. Then you've got the McGroarty and Gauthier situations. Russians put you at ease by comparison.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That's like blaming the interior decorator if a house gets swallowed by a volcano. "If it was so pretty then where's the house?" C'mon.

Since we passed on Demidov it really has me wondering how big of a role the "russian factor" is in this. And that factor seems to largely be about old school scouts strongly feeling that they need to see a prospect in person to develop trust in them. I personally don't feel that way but it seems to pop up in every scouts comments about the top Russians.
Or was it simply no matter how modern the NHL gets skilled size still pulls ahead when it matters. The idea of a 6'2" 200lb and a 6'3" 215lb center duo for the foreseeble future is a hard thing to pass up on. In fact gets us bigger and better equipped to handle teams like the Hurricanes who often get praised to no end in here.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The reason I didn't mention anything to do with Russians not coming over, is because I think scouts not seeing the player live is what the Russian factor largely is at this point. I think that loomed large at the top of the draft, as opposed to taking a chance on a guy in the second round. It's not that our scouts didn't have Lindstrom ahead of Demidov, but that the lack of live viewings made them more distrustful of Demidov and is maybe what tipped the balance.

I agree with you that they come over. The "American factor" is bigger this point for Canadian clubs, I think there's a big chance that that is why the Senators and Flames passed on Buium. Both clubs have been much bigger concerns with Americans. The Flames alone lost Fox, Gaudreau, and Matthew Tkachuk. Then you've got the McGroarty and Gauthier situations. Russians put you at ease by comparison.

Or was it simply no matter how modern the NHL gets skilled size still pulls ahead when it matters. The idea of a 6'2" 200lb and a 6'3" 215lb center duo for the foreseeble future is a hard thing to pass up on. In fact gets us bigger and better equipped to handle teams like the Hurricanes who often get praised to no end in here.
I think it's definitely both of those things. With the not being able to see him live part, it also means that they likely don't get to vet the kids character and off ice personality as much if they don't get to talk to the people around him. Combined with Lindstrom being the #2 guy on their list. That's putting together a list and listening to your scouts. Which in Waddells case this off-season was the only proper choice he could have made after admitting that he wasn't involved with the draft at all in Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad