Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Never should've traded down to begin with and to get a underwhelming prospect in Bourgault when the likes of Wallstedt and Johnston were right there for the picking was and remains the definition of stupidity.

Good job, JJ. Slowly dismantling the reeks of the Holland/Wright regime's terrible moves.
GL to Bourgault, but he's a prospect I won't miss.
McDonald's Chicken Burgaults are the best!

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He’s 21, turns 22 in August. His ELC started when he was 19 though so he has 4 years of waiver eligibility rather than the typical 3 you’d see from a 20 year old player coming out of junior. Last season was his 3rd year of AHL hockey so this year will be year 4?

I think at least.
Euro players who are 19 playing in the AHL have their contracts slide as if they’re playing in the CHL. It’s a bit of an oddity with the contracts. So he still has one year left on his ELC and is also waiver exempt. At least as far as I remember.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If you pluck a guy off waivers does he not need to stay in the NHL for the whole season?
I think you can send him down but he still has to clear waivers. I was going to ask if a team claims Lavoie off waivers but then waives him again. Does Edmonton get first dibs?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Unlikely Jarventie ends up in a big role for us, but I feel like if nothing else we win simply b/c Jarventie is probably more attractive to a rebuilding team than Bourgault at the deadline with his better AHL production. More teams would probably want a 4th over Chiasson too.

Uppercorner

Nov 24, 2004
More like Roby Hintz.

Only physically and skill-wise. The troubles are on the mental side: lazy, impatient, stubborn, selfish. But on the other hand some say he has manned up recently so maybe you have a solid winger instead of another Jesse Niinimäki (remember? Comes from the same Finnish team). He comes from an influential hockey family (father Martti played one game in Canadiens) so he was grown up with "a silver spoon". He's the oldest of three brothers; they say the younger brother Emil is more skilled but loaded with the same risks.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He’s 21, turns 22 in August. His ELC started when he was 19 though so he has 4 years of waiver eligibility rather than the typical 3 you’d see from a 20 year old player coming out of junior. Last season was his 3rd year of AHL hockey so this year will be year 4?

I think at least.
Sorry, you're right. I will correct that. But yes he should still have one more.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think you can send him down but he still has to clear waivers. I was going to ask if a team claims Lavoie off waivers but then waives him again. Does Edmonton get first dibs?
Edmonton does not automatically get first dib if Lavoie was claimed. If another team put in a claim on the original waivers they would have first dibs but would have to put him on their NHL roster. If no other team had put in a claim then Edmonton could take him back and send him to the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am not sure why some see this trade as a nothing trade. The Sens had Rody as an untouchable in the Chychrun trade.
I don't even know what this really means

As for Roby himself the scout gregor talked to said he has a better chance making the Oilers than Bourgault simply because of the style of game they play. Bourgault is gonna need sheltered offensive minutes once he gets to the NHL IMO. Sounds like Roby has a few more tools in his toolbox to start lower down in the lineup.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am not sure why some see this trade as a nothing trade. The Sens had Rody as an untouchable in the Chychrun trade.

Which Chychrun trade? The coyotes one? It’s interesting but maybe hes just fallen out of the grace. Its been like a year and a half and he has injury problems.

But I trust JJ on this one. For whatever reason, XB had stagnated here.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
something I have always wondered about - is it drafting or development? I had high hopes for Xavier

I wonder if we do enough skills development in the minors? Does our AHL team have nutritionists , prychologists, and specific skills coaches? What is the priority for that team - to develop guys with the technical knowledge to play the oilers systems or to create the best examples of what their skill set can be?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
something I have always wondered about - is it drafting or development? I had high hopes for Xavier

I wonder if we do enough skills development in the minors? Does our AHL team have nutritionists , prychologists, and specific skills coaches? What is the priority for that team - to develop guys with the technical knowledge to play the oilers systems or to create the best examples of what their skill set can be?
Developing for sure. It's a much weaker spot in our system than anything else.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Which Chychrun trade? The coyotes one? It’s interesting but maybe hes just fallen out of the grace. Its been like a year and a half and he has injury problems.

He was talking about the Coyotes trade made by Dorian. One major knee injury later Ottawa's new regime moved off the player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It seems like an even trade to balance both prospect pools better, but with a 4th tossed in so Ottawa can add a French Canadian. People point to the Habs doing that but Ottawa has done it too.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

There's also a third element, the player. That can seem like a drafting issue but a lot of the time it isn't. There's a limit to your info. It is impossible to know just how hard a player will work to achieve their goals and also how well their game translates to the higher levels. Even with Bourgault, maybe he will do better at the NHL level than the AHL level. Maybe he doesn't put the work in

I'm reminded of Puljujarvi and Yakupov. Our team bent over backwards to put them positions to succeed, at harming our team results even, like an investment in the future. These were McDavid years even, so there was a big sacrifice we made to develop these guys. Everyone had them near the top of their draft lists. At some point the blame goes on the player

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

The one with Arizona

Chychrun for Jensen is already overkill. Ottawa would be silly to add Jarventie
Wrong trade. This was what Ross Levitan said and apparently is is plugged in to the Sens

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The one with Arizona

Wrong trade. This was what Ross Levitan said and apparently is is plugged in to the Sens
If it was the first Chychrun trade, then Jarventie certainly had more value then. His value dropped substantially. If we traded Bourgault 2 years ago right after his D+1 season, we would have gotten more in return as well.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Borgault just was never that good IMO.

An undersized player needs to have at least one elite strength and probably at least one more better than average strength to make it. Borgault was "pretty good" at best in a bunch of areas. Decent, but not elite shot. Decent, but not elite skater. Undersized. Mixed opinion on his hockey sense/defensive acumen. I'm not sure exactly what there was to lean on with this player. Is he supposed to rack up points due to skill? Is he supposed to play a gritty two way game? He's just kind of "there."

I hate when players are drafted in any round that don't provide something to hang their hat on. Great skater, size, shot, defensive awareness, physicality, etc. The vanilla "jack of all trades, but master of none" players usually don't accomplish anything at the pro level. I could see this result coming from a mile away the moment he was drafted. Extremely frustrating.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad