Lindstrom
Sennecke

Highest ceiling to lowest ceiling:

Lindstrom
Demidov
Iginla
Catton
Sennecke

Demidov's ceiling is much higher than Lindstrom. The hype on Lindstrom ceiling I don't really understand, he hasn't shown prime stickhandling or IQ, he has shown a good power forward game. "But he's going to hit everything" is interesting but it seems to come with some risks. You draft Lindstrom because he's the best now, and the most NHL ready.

Ceilings

Demidov (Kucherov +)

Catton (Stevie Y)

Iginla (Jarome)

Lindstrom (John Leclair)
Sennecke (Jeff Carter)

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If they take Dickinson imagine Matheson be traded for another pick in top 15. Take Catton, Sennecke or Eiserman. Whomever is still available.

Be good first round draft Dickinson, Sennecke and Stiga.

Use the caproom saved to sign a UFA. DeBrusk?
Matheson for a draft pick would make me puke…..If Matheson is going, it’s in a major trade to acquire a Necas type player.

Reactions: dinodebino

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I am not sure about that. I would just take Iggy 5th but the other part I wonder about is how high they are with Sennecke, Catton, and Eiserman. If the Habs trade down with the 5th and then use the additional asset to trade up with the 26th, they could end up getting two of Iggy, Sennecke, Catton, Eiserman.

Sorry, I don't believe in zero probability
How about unlikely then lol

Not too many more chances at a top 5 pick for the next little while so if anything I’d think we be looking to move up, not draw back

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Demidov is incredibly skilled and exciting, but over my last 25 years of watching kids being drafted into NHL teams, I have seen my fair share of skilled and exciting forwards busting in the NHL. Demidov is smallish, not overly physical, not the fastest, and I don't see him blasting one-timers over the ice in the videos I have seen. There are plenty of risks with that player. On the flip side, he may very well become a star.
You don’t see him “blasting one-timers” because that’s not his game... He mostly creates his own scoring chances by dangling and/or using his incredible edge work. Plus, there are a plethora of players from many different playstyles that have busted. So does this in bold really mean much? Demidov is a terrific talent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about unlikely then lol

Not too many more chances at a top 5 pick for the next little while so if anything I’d think we be looking to move up, not draw back

That will depend on how they see their draft board and also how they guess other teams draft boards. Our grades at evaluating the prospect resumes from 2-14 might indicate one waive. I have two waives of talent in this range but our scouts might have one.

I've made it known that Iggy is my target. I even have him on par with Demidov because I think the Russian becomes a perimeter skilled type. However, I do see what others see in Sennecke and Catton. Others not that high on Eiserman but I am. Lindstrom scares me in terms of bust factor. That guy has a monster ceiling and a very low base. Someone is either going to look like a genius for taking him or an idiot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don’t see him “blasting one-timers” because that’s not his game... He mostly creates his own scoring chances by dangling and/or using his incredible edge work. Plus, there are a plethora of players from many different playstyles that have busted. So does this in bold really mean much? Demidov is a terrific talent.

Demidov is a terrific talent in terms of skating and he has a great shot. Likes to shoot on the right side of the net but I'm sure he can fine tune that. The one timer would be nice though. It's a PP weapon like Kucherov. But yeah, Demidov just does not show that ability right now. Can he develop it? Who knows. Slaf has worked very hard at it.

I'll eat crow on this but Demidov might become a perimeter skilled type who don't like physical contact. Hard to gauge by watching video but there is a some sample of that.

He's going to be good just on his skating alone. He's hard to catch. I just don't know how good and my instincts tell me he won't be as good as some think he will be. This is not your typical Russian with size/weight. His size/weight is not terrible but he's not going to be a physical type. That's my assessment on him.

At best, P Kane.
At worse, Ehlers?

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Demidov's ceiling is much higher than Lindstrom. The hype on Lindstrom ceiling I don't really understand, he hasn't shown prime stickhandling or IQ, he has shown a good power forward game. "But he's going to hit everything" is interesting but it seems to come with some risks. You draft Lindstrom because he's the best now, and the most NHL ready.

Ceilings

Demidov (Kucherov +)

Catton (Stevie Y)

Iginla (Jarome)

Lindstrom (John Leclair)
Sennecke (Jeff Carter)
To add… just because a youngster hits in junior does not mean he can translate that to the NHL or sustain it in the NHL.

Weber was a ferocious hitter… every so often. It is unsustainable to hit everything that moves — it is too taxing, too difficult, too injurious to do so in the NHL.

If Lindstrom is the man, he has to be taken because of his ability to eat hits and his nose for net. It’s for this reason I don’t prioritize him, I think his real strengths aren’t things that we’re particularly missing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yes absolutely, as a ceiling. Demidov is more powerful (fitness) than Kucherov while having a very similar IQ, shot, stick and agility as Kucherov. If he refines the skating just a bit, he will be something else.

Do you have him above Macklin?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
To add… just because a youngster hits in junior does not mean he can translate that to the NHL or sustain it in the NHL.

Weber was a ferocious hitter… every so often. It is unsustainable to hit everything that moves — it is too taxing, too difficult, too injurious to do so in the NHL.

If Lindstrom is the man, he has to be taken because of his ability to eat hits and his nose for net. It’s for this reason I don’t prioritize him, I think his real strengths aren’t things that we’re particularly missing.

And we won't get a 2nd Slafkovski.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That will depend on how they see their draft board and also how they guess other teams draft boards. Our grades at evaluating the prospect resumes from 2-14 might indicate one waive. I have two waives of talent in this range but our scouts might have one.

I've made it known that Iggy is my target. I even have him on par with Demidov because I think the Russian becomes a perimeter skilled type. However, I do see what others see in Sennecke and Catton. Others not that high on Eiserman but I am. Lindstrom scares me in terms of bust factor. That guy has a monster ceiling and a very low base. Someone is either going to look like a genius for taking him or an idiot.
All good choices, of course I have my favourites but I’d feel good about all the players you mentioned at 5 except Eiserman, like the player but if we were selecting in the 9-12 range.

I don’t see a world where Lindstrom will bust unless his injuries consume him but I believe he will conquer those demons.

Iggy at 5 would make me very happy

Reactions: Habs Halifax

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Do you have him above Macklin?

Ceiling wise? no. Celebrini is a bigger and better Jonathan Toews. Toews was not a big guy and it was his downfall. Celebrini will have the same 2 way game, but a better shot (thus more PP success), skating and will be an imposing player when he reaches 200lbs. Celebrini is the future top center of team Canada after McDavid (our two others generational players, Bedard and McKenna will be probably be wingers at that level).

So even if Demidov reaches his ceiling, Celebrini's is much higher - in fact I think we are not talking enough about Celebrini has a potential generational player in the same value range has Bedard (he will be more useful than Bedard in the playoffs as he will win so many line to line confrontations like Barkov) - Bedard will fill the net like crazy, but will also be somewhat of a defensive liability. I think McKenna might be the real McDavid replacement skill-wise with a game close to Jack Hughes.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes absolutely, as a ceiling. Demidov is more powerful (fitness) than Kucherov while having a very similar IQ, shot, stick and agility as Kucherov. If he refines the skating just a bit, he will be something else.

More like P Kane to me. Demidov has to improve his one timer to be as effective as Kucherov. How many goals does Kucherov score with that deadly and accurate one timer? I don't think Demidov's shot is that accurate yet and I'm not talking about the one timer. He's shooting right side a lot and scoring a lot but I like Iggy's shot more. He's picking all different areas of the net. Iggy doesn't have a good one timer either though. It's difficult to develop at that high level. Game happens so fast.

We shouldn't be tied to comparing Demidov to another Russian. If that is the requirement, I would pick Datsyuk. The interesting part to the Russian forward stars is I will say 75% of them are north of 6'-0" and 200 lbs. Then you got guys like Kucherov and Datsyuk who are on the lighter side. So basically, Demidov falls in that 25% lighter but skilled/skater type.

So yeah, P Kane or Datysuk are my ceiling comparables

All good choices, of course I have my favourites but I’d feel good about all the players you mentioned at 5 except Eiserman, like the player but if we were selecting in the 9-12 range.

I don’t see a world where Lindstrom will bust unless his injuries consume him but I believe he will conquer those demons.

Iggy at 5 would make me very happy

Long few weeks coming. This draft has me both nervous and excited. We need to hit with this pick.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Long few weeks coming. This draft has me both nervous and excited. We need to hit with this pick.
1718710085864.gif

1718710188711.gif

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Demidov is a terrific talent in terms of skating and he has a great shot. Likes to shoot on the right side of the net but I'm sure he can fine tune that. The one timer would be nice though. It's a PP weapon like Kucherov. But yeah, Demidov just does not show that ability right now. Can he develop it? Who knows. Slaf has worked very hard at it.

I'll eat crow on this but Demidov might become a perimeter skilled type who don't like physical contact. Hard to gauge by watching video but there is a some sample of that.

He's going to be good just on his skating alone. He's hard to catch. I just don't know how good and my instincts tell me he won't be as good as some think he will be. This is not your typical Russian with size/weight. His size/weight is not terrible but he's not going to be a physical type. That's my assessment on him.

At best, P Kane.
At worse, Ehlers?

Demidov’s skating isn’t actually a strength at all. He doesn’t have top-end speed and his stride can use a lot of refinement. Edge work is decent.

From what I’ve seen and read, he seems to be fine with physical play. I know he’s not going to throw his body around and power through defenders, but I don’t feel he’s a perimeter player at all. Whether he becomes one in the NHL remains to be seen.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Drafting Zeev Buium and trading Kaiden Guhle may land us the better defenseman (Buium > Guhle) and the better forward. (If : the guy we trade Guhle for > the guy we pick at 5)
It may also land us the worse D-man and the weaker forward unless you have a reliable crystal ball. Mine has been in the shop since I cheered the Savard-Chelios trade.

Do you guys still pick Demidov if he's 5'10¾?
My red line is 5'104/5.

Reactions: Jaynki

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
More like P Kane to me. Demidov has to improve his one timer to be as effective as Kucherov. How many goals does Kucherov score with that deadly and accurate one timer? I don't think Demidov's shot is that accurate yet and I'm not talking about the one timer. He's shooting right side a lot and scoring a lot but I like Iggy's shot more. He's picking all different areas of the net. Iggy doesn't have a good one timer either though. It's difficult to develop at that high level. Game happens so fast.

We shouldn't be tied to comparing Demidov to another Russian. If that is the requirement, I would pick Datsyuk. The interesting part to the Russian forward stars is I will say 75% of them are north of 6'-0" and 200 lbs. Then you got guys like Kucherov and Datsyuk who are on the lighter side. So basically, Demidov falls in that 25% lighter but skilled/skater type.

So yeah, P Kane or Datysuk are my ceiling comparables

Don't think you remember Kucherov's one timer at 18 years years old either ;)

He developed that around 21-22 years old, they all do.

I agree Datsyuk/Kane are good comparables, but Demidov is a much bigger version so right there he will escape these comparables ceiling range- ultimately comparable are flawed, I just expect him to have a Kucherov like presence on the ice, where you can't give him an inch or he's going to make you pay. LIkely to be more a playmaker (Federov/Panarin) than scorer in terms of point production. 30g / 70a - but that's before we see how he develops his shot options later.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I started going 6 months after he left, thought I would bounce back to my old self but stayed down. The therapist told me that thinking about him running coffee for the boys in LA might make me happy for a while, it would wear off. It did so now I wore a rubber band around my wrist and snapped myself every time I had a nasty thought about the man. Three wrist infections later I realized I needed more, so I drown my sorrows in chocolate milk with cream soda chasers. Hard on the guts but keeps my mind off of him....
It would help if you tried ayahuasca.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There were darker days before Berg.

MT... well obviously Price was a factor, but he won a lot of games.

He sold high on Subban, acquired a cornerstone player in #14, and made the right pick at #3..at the time.

He shafted Markov.

They call him BargainBin for a reason... never wanted to pay full for Price.

He had his faults forsure, but I'll take him over Pierre Gauthier everyday of the week.
How about Houle?

I believe he was thinking of his exploits on the ice. Not the bedroom.
N.B. I'm a big Lindstrom fan having seen only highlight videos and listened to amateur sports personalities reviewing his medical charts.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't think Demidov is a 2ppg player, and if I did I would have him first overall over basically everybody.

90-120 ceiling, depends a lot on the next few years. Medium level of risk there, given the environment. What's happening in Ukraine might have a bigger impact on him than Michkov if something happens on the battlefield in the fall (it's gearing up to something major). Demidov needs more development than Michkov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Demidov’s skating isn’t actually a strength at all. He doesn’t have top-end speed and his stride can use a lot of refinement. Edge work is decent.

From what I’ve seen and read, he seems to be fine with physical play. I know he’s not going to throw his body around and power through defenders, but I don’t feel he’s a perimeter player at all. Whether he becomes one in the NHL remains to be seen.

From the video I have watched, I think his skating is very good. Not sure about the top end speed but I do think his edge work and cross overs is top notch.

If he was OK with the physical play, I think he plays more than 4 KHL games last year. This area is just not easy to predict. We really don't have a good sample size of that because I think the MHL is not physical at all. I personally am not going to go out of my way to find reasons of supporting Demidov being a physical player.

Not saying he is a red flag and we shouldn't draft him, just trying to nail down what type of player he is and will be. I remember talking about Slaf and his puck possession and some gullible fans tried to tell me Slaf was a puck possession winger. Well, he wasn't but the good news is he might be... Because why? He's working very hard at it after the draft. The gains players make after the draft are massive in terms of who develops well and who doesn't.

As the years go by and we learn more (as pretender scouts), I realize that those D+ years are massive. You hear it from all the stars when they talk about the commitment to improving. Ability to overcome challenges along the way. When I look at a player like Iginla, I think that he is that type. Always wanting to improve and become better than others. I'm not sure with Demidov but he's high on my list regardless.

Reactions: TCIH

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
If they take Dickinson imagine Matheson be traded for another pick in top 15. Take Catton, Sennecke or Eiserman. Whomever is still available.

Be good first round draft Dickinson, Sennecke and Stiga.

Use the caproom saved to sign a UFA. DeBrusk?

It doesn’t make sense to trade Matheson when Dickinson wouldn’t be in the NHL next season. It would happen next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad