• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 65 16.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.1%

• Total voters

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I am an ER physician and let me tell you that an lumbar herniated disc, with or without surgery, can cause problems to even do basic life stuff like walking and lying down.

A hockey player that is already sidelined at 18 and that misses almost half a season because of it is a very, very bad sign.

Possible career ending kind of problem for a hockey player. I'd not gamble it at #5, especially in a loaded draft with a lot of nice options.
Am also a doctor:
Sometimes scans pick up herniated disks that people didn't even know they had. There's a whole spectrum of severity from benign to catastrophic.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
First time in 22 years I start draft season with two whole mfers on the DND.

Sennecke and now Lindstrom.

Make it 3 Skip

1000004943.jpg

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Am also a doctor:
Sometimes scans pick up herniated disks that people didn't even know they had. There's a whole spectrum of severity from benign to catastrophic.
Of course.

But the kid plays a very physical game in a very physical sport and has already been sidelined many months because of it.

This not a benign thing here, obviously. It must have been very symptomatic if it meant the kid had to miss playoffs and Canada U18 because of it in the most important year of his young career, his draft year.

Nothing is of course 100% and I wish him the best, but this is a significant injury that is a big red flag.

Many players needed to retire because of herniated discs.

I don't know a single doctor or physio in the world that would look at this kid's MRI and be able to say 100% it won't cause problem in the future, no matter what it looks like.

Like I said, there are many others very good players from #2-12 in this draft, and margins between them are razor thin. This is enough for me to say you don't gamble on that and you pick someone else. At #15-20? Sure, if he's by far the best talent.

He's no Bedard or McKenna.

Of course I wish him the best and hope he has a great, healthy career. Still would not risk it at #5 OA.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
What have I learned from this thread? Folks that are entrenched in their positions are in bunkers and will NOT MOVE. Good on them. :wally

Reactions: Rapala

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Am also a doctor:
Backs are voodoo. Some people have visible degradation and no pain. Vice versa.

Physio and stretching work. Some surgeries for visible issues work. Many surgeries are shots in the dark. Expert surgeons will say “I don’t know what to do, but if I don’t operate they will see a worse doctor who will cripple them” and operate randomly.

And Therrien once said Subban needed to be a better person. They don't have to "make it up" for it to simply be wrong.
Well Therrien visibly wanted Subban to change his skin colour and sit down and shut up. There was no positive.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Of course.

But the kid plays a very physical game in a very physical sport and has already been sidelined many months because of it.

This not a benign thing here, obviously. It must have been very symptomatic if it meant the kid had to miss playoffs and Canada U18 because of it in the most important year of his young career, his draft year.

Nothing is of course 100% and I wish him the best, but this is a significant injury that is a big red flag.

Many players needed to retire because of herniated discs.

I don't know a single doctor or physio in the world that would look at this kid's MRI and be able to say 100% it won't cause problem in the future, no matter what it looks like.

Like I said, there are many others very good players from #2-12 in this draft, and margins between them are razor thin. This is enough for me to say you don't gamble on that and you pick someone else. At #15-20? Sure, if he's by far the best talent.

He's no Bedard or McKenna.

Of course I wish him the best and hope he has a great, healthy career. Still would not risk it at #5 OA.
There’s enough uncertainty with healthy draft picks!

With the back, everything’s a little uncertain.

They can say it can be treated non-surgically, like most can, but have it reoccur down the road.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, I'm dumbass that knows nothing. Only been dealing with those patients for 15 years. You know better for sure. :)

Don't worry, I've had posters here literally try to educate me on what I do for a living. It's the nature of the internet, I get a good chuckle out of it and try not to flash my credentials as it's not worth it. That said, so many MDs on these boards. I know of at least 5 on HF. Maybe that's the issue with HFhabs :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If you have players in front of him on your list and you skip them to take him because you don’t want to pass on ‘’genes’’ it isn’t the thing to do.
Why even bring that up then it's a no brainer?
It's just one of many boxes that can have an impact on the total value of the pick.
My take on Iginla hasn't changed he's a very good fit for what we need going forward.
I'm not convinced Demidov or even Lindstrom check all the boxes Tij does including genes and or environmental influence.
I just think Iginla will end up being the best complete package which includes durability.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Interesting blog about herniated discs and hockey players. The Lumbar Disc Herniation & Hockey Athletes - Remi Sovran

The prognosis is rather discouraging, though who knows, perhaps orthopedics will get better over time.
One wrong jar and it doesn't have to be a violent one can cost a season. I can't see us touching that given our recent history with man games lost.
We still don't have a handle on Kirby Dach's durability despite what some may think.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I trust our medical staff to do all the due diligence possible on Lindstrom. If there's legit concern, they'll just go in a different direction. Plenty of good prospects at #5.
I agree. All teams have medical staffs, actually have access to all the medical reports, and are obviously more invested and have more riding on their picks than we do as fans. You have to assume if he's available at 5 and he's the pick, they don't think it's an issue or have done the calculus that their forecasted outcome of him is high enough above their next ranked player's forecasted outcome to be worth the risk, whatever they determine the risk to be. Now they might end up being wrong, but that wouldn't change the fact that they have medical expertise, access to the information, and a tonne riding on the success of the pick, so wouldn't select damaged goods on a whim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad