Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup I remember this, happened with Matthew in his draft year too. I feel like players were getting overvalued because of size for so long by NHL management, us fans have a tendency of underrating guys with size and leaning more towards the smaller flashier players. In his draft year Brady had a very unique combination of size and soft hands that you don't see very often in players. This year I feel like Lidstrom has a unique combination of size and footspeed that does not come around very often. He moves like he's 5'9 out there, just a freak athlete.

This time around, I'm taking the sun of another former great. Tig Iginla. I've been trying and trying to find his flaws and can't.

That edge work and shot and weight at an early age. Very good IQ and he's not afraid of the physical areas of the game. The focus in his eyes tells me he's obsessive at improving and pays attention to everything around him.

Some say his top straight line speed is his flaw but man, it's a nit pick. His cross overs and edge work are top notch. Ability to escape pressure along the walls is something that takes players years to develop at in the NHL. Already has a NHL shot. Passing ability and vision is solid

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Lots of people going by the few threads in here... so many want a dmen now. :laugh:
It’s kind of understandable though.

I like and feel good about Guhle.
I’m an Arbor fan.
I’m intrigued by Mailloux, Hutson.

But I don’t really see any of them garnering Norris votes. Maybe Guhle…
It’s also early in their careers.

YET, the forward needs are long-standing and obvious. Would be a gut punch to not secure a spark for the O.

Dickinson will be very good and would be a great add.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought Laine would be a 45-60 goal scorer

Pure goal scoring talent without the coachability and IQ/heart isn't not something I'd want so high in the draft
Fair enough. The concerns are legit.

But I'd definitely love to trade some lower picks (and even next year's 1st) to get Eiserman after the 10th. Walking away with Lidstrom/Eiserman could set us up with a contending team. Getting Lidstrom would mitigate the risks in this draft. Getting Eiserman later would be awesome upside.

We have an abundance of prospects. It's time to start amalgamating some picks for higher grade upside. Eiserman's upside is extremely high. I personally think he's worth it.

But I totally understand anyone who says that he's not. The red flags are there.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Nah they've been trying to discredit Iginla for his size in here too.

Michkov is pretty intense and a very strong competitor. Don't fall for the smear campaign.
I didn't fall for the smear campaign. I just don't see how you bring in Michkov's intensity when comparing him to Demidov. There are so many incredible things that Michkov does, and he decides to bring in his intensity? It isn't Michkov's top attribute, and he can certainly be lackadaisical on the defensive side. Although I do like his tenacity on board battles for a small dude.

I don't follow what other people say about a player; this is from my own viewings on Michkov and I always was and still am a fan of him.

Reactions: montreal

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I find the "this is the last year for a high pick" talk amusing. This team is really bad. It takes time for the stink to wash off
They were 10 points away from competing for the last playoff spot with a handful of teams and in the most one goal games in the league despite injuries to key players. The team isn’t contending but they aren’t “really bad”

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I find the "this is the last year for a high pick" talk amusing. This team is really bad. It takes time for the stink to wash off
This team is not good enough for sure to be a cup contender. But picking another top 5 next year would be disappointing. Suzuki will be D+8, Caufield D+6, Dach D+6, Newhook D+6, Guhle D+5, Barron D+5, Struble D+6, Harris D+7. Montembault is supposed to be at least a 1B goalie, Matheson a 3D, Savard a 5D. Slaf will be D+3… If this core brings you another top 5 at this stage in their development maybe it is justnot the right core.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You think this team finishes bottom 5 again next year ? If its the case the rebuild is a bust and they need to salvage hard because most picks are D+2 or more now. Progress needs to happen. Although Im sure icing Matheson 28 minutes a game is going to hold the Habs off from the PO's again.
I didn't fall for the smear campaign. I just don't see how you bring in Michkov's intensity when comparing him to Demidov. There are so many incredible things that Michkov does, and he decides to bring in his intensity? It isn't Michkov's top attribute, and he can certainly be lackadaisical on the defensive side. Although I do like his tenacity on board battles for a small dude.

I don't follow what other people say about a player; this is from my own viewings on Michkov and I always was and still am a fan of him.
It is actually one of his top attribute. He's very competitive and it's probably the main thing that leads him to be so clutch.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
This team is not good enough for sure to be a cup contender. But picking another top 5 next year would be disappointing. Suzuki will be D+8, Caufield D+6, Dach D+6, Newhook D+6, Guhle D+5, Barron D+5, Struble D+6, Harris D+7. Montembault is supposed to be at least a 1B goalie, Matheson a 3D, Savard a 5D. Slaf will be D+3… If this core brings you another top 5 at this stage in their development maybe it is justnot the right core.
It's hard to tell

Most people thought Boston will or mightdrastically decline once Bergeron retired but nope

Team culture seems to indicate a healthy room and that's by far the top indicator to grow and eventually win as a team

If our young guys take another step up, we improve, simple as that, whatever we draft this year won't be a contributor next year

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The next great NHL brother combo, Tij and Joe Iginla. Look out. This is a family of atheletes. Their sister Jade (19 years old), won gold with the Canadian U18's a couple of years ago and is the leading scorer of Brown University in the NCAA.

Those are damn good genes.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Rozz

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Top 5 bad?

We might not be out of the woods yet, injuries can occur, regression and all that jazz.

But management seem to indicate they’ll want “progression” and I feel like they will play a part in that scenario with more moves propping up this said “progression”. Bottom 12 finish might be in the cards for the upcoming season. At least it’s more talked about by the ones that can impact it instead of the speeches from the last three seasons.

Reactions: Redux91

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They were 10 points away from competing for the last playoff spot with a handful of teams and in the most one goal games in the league despite injuries to key players. The team isn’t contending but they aren’t “really bad”
Like I said, it's charming lol

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It's hard to tell

Most people thought Boston will or mightdrastically decline once Bergeron retired but nope

Team culture seems to indicate a healthy room and that's by far the top indicator to grow and eventually win as a team

If our young guys take another step up, we improve, simple as that, whatever we draft this year won't be a contributor next year
But he has a point - if a rebuilding/retooling team isn’t take steps forward every year despite their young core mostly being in place, then they might not be the right core.

While this Habs team is again picking 5th, it was very obvious that they were far more competitive than the year before. The next step is to win more games in which they are competitive, which should result in picking in that 10-15 spot next year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
TIG IGINLA! Tell me what flaw he has? This kid is going to top out at 6'-1" and 200 lbs and he's got it all. Skating, edge work, Shot, Grit, IQ. Look at that focus in his eyes.
He's not that gritty actually which is the only reason why he's not a slam dunk top 5 pick IMO.

He isn't a perimeter player but he doesn't play the true power forward game like his dad or the Tkachuks unfortunately. There's a small chance that he gets meaner over time but who knows.

Reactions: Gustave

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think we're outside the playoffs. Barring health issues, I don't think we're a top five drafting team next year. We have a real top line. If Dach can actually stay healthy, we'll have a good 2nd line too.

My concern is the D. Still so green. I think that's our downfall.

Reactions: Habssince89

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why so many are pre-occupied with the next two years.
I don’t know who is. I’m not, it takes the time it takes. We certainly have a much better development contingent than we had under prior management, so we have comfort in knowing that a draftee will be handled competently.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
It is actually one of his top attribute. He's very competitive and it's probably the main thing that leads him to be so clutch.
I disagree. When you watch Michkov play, the first thing that jumps out at you isn't how intense and balls-to-the-wall he is on the ice. It's the skill, the hockey IQ, his hands and his incredible shot.

He was talking about intensity on the ice, not competitiveness. I don't doubt he's competitive, but he's not the type of player that will awe you with how much of a jitterbug he is on the ice. I don't see how this is an argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad