Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just because NHL teams are stupid doesn't mean I need to be. And while I'd still have Demidov at 2 regardless, Leonard would make me think twice.

Also, literally no one thinks 2024 is better than 2023.
A matter of opinion. 1st overall picks notwithstanding, the top 15 is stronger this year than last. Guys like Simashev, But, Danielson, Willander, Yager, Wood, would likely not go ahead of the guys taken Top 15 this year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
When you guys think about it, imagine Anaheim taking Leshunov or Silayev. That defense with Minty will be too big for Bedard-Demidov duo. It's wishful thinking, but Davidson might prefer to build a Bedard-Buium/Dickinson duo like MacKinnon/Makar or go with Leshunov/Silayev himself over Demidov

Pretty sure Chicago will be aggressive on Cole Hudson and I think Levshunov. He's the best available D.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
A matter of opinion. 1st overall picks notwithstanding, the top 15 is stronger this year than last. Guys like Simashev, But, Danielson, Willander, Yager, Wood, would likely not go ahead of the guys taken Top 15 this year.
You could argue picks 6-12 will be stronger this year with how desperately Arizona and Vancouver reached for a D, and the respective depth of this year's D class in comparison. I'd argue the forwards you mentioned all belong in the Eiserman/Greentree tier, and I also had Oliver Moore, who slid to 19, higher than all of them.

But 1-5 is much better, and the depth is much better last year. We're not getting a Gabe Perreault, Calum Ritchie or Gavin Brindley at the Winnipeg pick this year.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Management : "Look at Sennecke and Iginla, they are late risers that we could pick at #5!"

Meanwhile, Dickinson is playing key minutes in the OHL finals and Buium destroyed U20s at 17 and was a key part of a NCAA champions roster.

"But but but we have mega stars Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Engstrom on the left side"

*sigh*

Did Timmins become chief scout at CBJ?
Not justba scout among others.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Sennecke is also skilled but pretty soft, like Dach. They play a skill game, they basically never hit and are more east-west kind if players.
Soft and plays upright....will be in for an awakening when he gets to the AHL for whoever takes him. Definitely skilled and talented though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Sennecke is also skilled but pretty soft, like Dach. They play a skill game, they basically never hit and are more east-west kind if players.
I wouldnt call Sennecke soft, he is just tall, lanky and needs to fill out. Otherwise he competes hard with the frame he has at that point. I understand the love, the hands/reach and skating combo is pretty attractive, I wish he plays vs London to have more viewings... The more options we have the best.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: habsfan891 and Rozz

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Probably yes, unless Helenius has a monstrous WC, then they might debate, but its going to be hard to pass on Lindstrom.
Not sure that would affect the debate much, since Lindstrom has not played since... ?

i mean if they are dead set on getting Lindstrom it isn't because the other players are performing worst than him. They just see a pot of gold and there's nothing changing their minds.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I wouldnt call Sennecke soft, he is just tall, lanky and needs to fill out. Otherwise he competes hard with the frame he has at that point. I understand the love, the hands/reach and skating combo is pretty attractive, I wish he plays vs London to have more viewings... The more options we have the best.
I wouldn't call Dach soft either. He's no bruiser but he goes to the tough areas.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He said that all things being equal that they would prefer a forward but he doubled down emphatically on the "all things being equal" part. The reading comprehension level on this board is incredibly low. People reading/watching with their confirmation bias filter removing all nuance and context.

We're 100% drafting a forward no matter what, I think I got it now.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Based on needs we would have ended up with Kopitar, Sergachev (we had no one but Markov), Caufield (had no goal scorers except Gallagher lol), Mercer (would have been fine with it although I wanted Bourque).

Thing with this draft is there is no clear BPA beyond the first two picks. If you ask me who's BPA at 3 it's Catton. Ask someone else it's Lindstrom. Ask someone else it's Helenius. Ask someone else it's Levshunov, or Buium, or Dickinson, or Parekh, or Silayev, or Sennecke, or Iginla, etc.

You could make an argument for any of them being BPA at that point, and I'd see the logic in each of them. Once BPA gets that obfuscated you start to look at your competitive window and what would be the best fit for your team. We are currently a one line team with a high potential but injury prone 2nd line C, a barren prospect cupboard as far as top 6 forwards go (Roy is the only one who debatably has that potential), and d prospects coming out of our wiener.

So they'll determine which forward is BPA at 5 and we just gotta hope they were right.

If we're looking for a player to poop in Anderson's bag he's our guy.
Actually, in 2005, it would have been Gilbert Brule if they wanted to go the center route. Or Marc Staal, since they also needed a top D. I still remember, Kopitar had too many question marks just because he's from Slovenia, which had never produced an NHL player I think. In 2016, the talk was all about Logan Brown or Tyson Jost. I still remember like yesterday. Even when Timmins was at the podium and mentioned the Windson Spitfires, I thought they have taken Logan Brown (who played with Sergachev together in Windsor). In 2019, we, as fans, all wanted Caufield (I think) but I had my doubts since the team had a bunch of small players (Gally, Drouin, Tatar, Domi, etc.). In '20, I don't think any of us expected them to draft a D in Guhle.

You're right that the BPA thing isn't that easy, black or white thing. Sometimes shades of gray are there and it is hard to project who will become the better NHL player. But I just hope that if they deem player X to be the best player, then they just go ahead and draft him, position notwithstanding and not reach for a slightly lesser guy because of positional needs.

Reactions: themilosh

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
The more I have thought about it, if Lindstrom and Demidov are both gone at our pick at 5 we should either trade down and draft a forward or take the best right shot D among our scouts consensus at 5.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Mostly agreed, but with the depth of the upcoming drafts it's probably not time to throw picks around. Trade picks for players once you are trying to go from fighting for a playoff spot to going deep in the playoffs, or if you already know where you will pick and are not sold on the options. Or if some other GM way overvalues that pick, I suppose...
I can see Hugo offering up our #5 + Mesar for CLB #4.. at this point it is imperative we target Lindstrom.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Players who are definitely going top 5: Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov

That's about it. Silayev probably will, everyone else might. In order of likelihood, I'd probably say

Celebrini/Levshunov/Demidov (for sure)

Silayev
Lindstrom
Dickinson
Buium

Parekh
Helenius (with his top 3 vote)
Yakemchuk

Iginla
Sennecke

Eiserman and Catton almost certainly won't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't call Dach soft either. He's no bruiser but he goes to the tough areas.

Agreed. He's had injuries and last year was very deflating but when he is on the ice, he's engaged and handles the puck very well in traffic.

I think Dach is going to be a monster from age 25-30 range. 23 now and we didn't get to see what he could do last year. Like Hughes said, he was our best player in pre season and the first few games.
I'm kind of afraid if he has full seasons next season and the season after. Could earn a $9M+ contract if he puts up 80 pts and is dominate up the middle. It might be a bridge that burns us like Subban

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not sure that would affect the debate much, since Lindstrom has not played since... ?

i mean if they are dead set on getting Lindstrom it isn't because the other players are performing worst than him. They just see a pot of gold and there's nothing changing their minds.
Well, they probably have a good idea of what they get in Lindstrom if the injuries are not an issue going foward and thats a pretty enticing package of skills and power, but there are others kids they have to considere, Helenius has a WC in front of him to prove he belongs in the discussion, up to him to do the most out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad