New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nikishin I agree but I’m not sure about the other defense prospects. We will see. They also don’t seem to be doing themselves any favors if they let Necas go.
I don't know why they want let him go if they want let him go, but there are few issues with his game. Still need piece for them. May be he asked for more than he should have like 7×7 or more.

Lots of good coaches are getting signed elsewhere. Why?

Are we getting Sheldon Keefe?
Brindamoor signed with hurricanes, we couldn't make anything with that. Other coaches are not very good. Or ex Devils.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
there have been 4 signed and there are 5 openings as of my posting.
Berube, Ruff, and Green are the only 3 I can think of.

Brindy doesn’t count because he was never not under contract with Carolina.

2 of 3 obviously don’t count because the Devils didn’t want them. Berube only matters if you think that was the Devils top choice. Even if Berube was, do you think he’s vastly better than other choices still out there?

Either way, I think lots of good coaches signing elsewhere is stretching it when there is only 1 signing that the Devils may have cared about.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
giphy.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Berube, Ruff, and Green are the only 3 I can think of.

Brindy doesn’t count because he was never not under contract with Carolina.

2 of 3 obviously don’t count because the Devils didn’t want them. Berube only matters if you think that was the Devils top choice. Even if Berube was, do you think he’s vastly better than other choices still out there?

Either way, I think lots of good coaches signing elsewhere is stretching it when there is only 1 signing that the Devils may have cared about.
It was reported by multiple outlets that we were interested in Green and Fitz himself said he'd be a strong candidate. We obviously just couldn't beat out Ottawa's offer or Green just saw Ottawa as the better option/team!:sarcasm:

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Just name Woodcroft already. I'm starting to get a little nervous. God forbid we miss out on him, & Keefe. If so then Fitz messed up big time. How many other names are out there that we would actually want? We would be dumpster diving at this point. Who would be left?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just name Woodcroft already. I'm starting to get a little nervous. God forbid we miss out on him, & Keefe. If so then Fitz messed up big time. How many other names are out there that we would actually want? We would be dumpster diving at this point. Who would be left?
Who would be left? Todd McLellan lol.

At least it won't be Travis Green.

Thanks for your sacrifice Sens!

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Of the jobs available

San Jose
Pros: Low expectations, lots of young talent starting to come in
Cons: Going to be a development focused role, not going to be making the playoffs for a few years (VV Blackwood is your goalie tandem lol)

Seattle
Pros: Probably low expectations again, some young talent,
Cons: Kind of weird built team, lots of late 20's early 30's guys (McCann and Dunn are your 2 best players), probably a bubble team

Winnipeg
Pros: Inherit a pretty talented roster with an elite goalie
Cons: Said talented roster has won a single series in the last 6 years and has a history of underperforming
Neutral: Definitely a win now, Location: Both Keefe and Woodcroft are Canadian but then again Winnipeg is pretty far out there

New Jersey:
Pros: By far the most talent / star power, all early-mid 20's except Dougie, best playoff chances, could really make a name for yourself
Cons: Highest expectations? Uncertainty at goalie

If you're confident in your coaching abilities I feel like NJ is the no brainer option. I bet both Keefe and Woodcroft feel like they have something to prove after this year's disappointments

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why Woodcroft? Seemed he was cut quickly in Edmonton wonder if anyone knows why outside of goalie play as Knoblouch seemed to get team to play better or was that just Skinner?
Since he took over, Edmonton meaningfully levelled up into a near 60% xG team, and he did that while he still had Tyson Barrie in his top-four and went to the WCF.

Seems like he knows to leverage his best players too. I think that's important for the Devils.

He got axed early this season because 1) and this is very obvious, the goaltending sucked. He's not the goalie coach and Skinner/Campbell were just garbage. And 2) the organization is very quickly just turning into McDavid's personal entourage. The President was McD's agent and Knoblauch was his junior coach.
Yeah I don’t get the woodcroft enthusiasm. I mean if he gets hired I’ll be open to seeing what he can do, but I don’t feel confident one way or the other.
IMO he is one of the top coaches on the market. He significantly improved the baseline of the Oilers. Seems very illogical to blame him for Skinner and Campbell being crap for six weeks.

Wow, a 5 year contract for Rod. After that lackluster playoff performance.

I highly doubt that will age well for the Canes organization. Reminds me of the contract that Sullivan got for himself earlier.

He's already been with the club for a long time and I'm pretty sure his expiration date / tune-out date is approaching with the current core.
100%. Rod is massively overrated by the public. He runs largely outdated and inefficient systems that don't translate to being a real cup contender, and are exposed every postseason.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
At least with Sullivan he led the Pens to back-to-back Cups albeit a long time ago to deserve being there for so long.

What did Rod the Bod do to deserve an extension?
Well he is kinda the face of the organization.

Maybe a mix of Stevens and Patty if you compare from Devils' point of view. I assume Rod was the captain when they got the cup, too lazy to check.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
That's a little dramatic. He literally just got let go. Not sure how you can use it as a knock against someone to just want a moment to breath.

They don't have a coach and are trying to figure out the best one for the team, they are desperate. As they should be.

He shouldn't need months to decide if he wants to coach again or not. Is he 12 years old? They are probably giving him until end of the WC to decide (my guess).

I would reckon that Keefe and Woodcroft would also be waiting on NJD because lets face it. Its the best job available

I dont see us missing out

And Woodcroft is doing stuff atm anyways.

Reactions: HBK27 and NjDevsRR

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
He shouldn't need months to decide if he wants to coach again or not. Is he 12 years old? They are probably giving him until end of the WC to decide (my guess).

And Woodcroft is doing stuff atm anyways.
You are right, he shouldn't need months. And if we get to the point that it has been "months" I will understand why people are annoyed by it. But we have a little bit of time before that, like months worth of it.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Of the jobs available

San Jose
Pros: Low expectations, lots of young talent starting to come in
Cons: Going to be a development focused role, not going to be making the playoffs for a few years (VV Blackwood is your goalie tandem lol)

Seattle
Pros: Probably low expectations again, some young talent,
Cons: Kind of weird built team, lots of late 20's early 30's guys (McCann and Dunn are your 2 best players), probably a bubble team

Winnipeg
Pros: Inherit a pretty talented roster with an elite goalie
Cons: Said talented roster has won a single series in the last 6 years and has a history of underperforming
Neutral: Definitely a win now, Location: Both Keefe and Woodcroft are Canadian but then again Winnipeg is pretty far out there

New Jersey:
Pros: By far the most talent / star power, all early-mid 20's except Dougie, best playoff chances, could really make a name for yourself
Cons: Highest expectations? Uncertainty at goalie

If you're confident in your coaching abilities I feel like NJ is the no brainer option. I bet both Keefe and Woodcroft feel like they have something to prove after this year's disappointments
This is such a weird way to look at things.

It really depends on what a coach wants and what they believe is needed for success.

If a coach wants more autonomy than Fitz is willing to give, then it doesn't matter what NJ's star power is. NJ may not be a place where that coach could succeed.

New Jersey may have a good situation. But, if you're a hard-ass coach, you might also look at a roster with Hughes and Hughes as a big red flag. Will ownership / Fitz support you if you bench Luke? Or if you lay into Jack for not playing D? Would you want a job where that's even a question?

The NJ job has lots of advantages, but it's like any other management role. Both sides need to do some work to figure out if it's the right fit at the right time.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Based on the 32 thoughts podcast I don't think the Devils would be screwed if Keefe doesn't decide soon --
San Jose: Blashill, Colliton, Warsofsky, Strum
Seattle: Bylsma, Mclellan, Leach
LA: Hiller (favorite)
Winnipeg: Arniel (favorite)
Devils: waiting for clarity from Keefe (podcast recorded on Sunday)

So don't think the Devils would miss out on Woodcroft bc he doesn't seem to be a candidate for the other HC jobs -- maybe the Devils could get both Keefe and Woodcroft (as an associate coach) if Keefe decides to coach next season at this rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad