RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Okay, so how are they different? How would one describe their games?
Watch Kharlamov and see. Attacks from all zones. Iniquity gifted with elite skill and high compete. Same as Michkov. Loved to have seen Kharlamov here in the 60’s and early 70’s. But now we will get to see a very similar player come and dominate. Flyers are so fortunate to get this guy, especially after other clubs passed him over.

Reactions: wetcoast

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Okay, so how are they different? How would one describe their games?
Demidov is more on-puck dominant for his playmaking value. Fantastic hands and passing. Michkov just seemingly finds the perfect/soft spot constantly for his points, whether on receiving end or dishing end, similar to Crosby in that way IMO; 98 percentile hockey IQ.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Demidov is more on-puck dominant for his playmaking value. Fantastic hands and passing. Michkov just seemingly finds the perfect/soft spot constantly for his points, whether on receiving end or dishing end, similar to Crosby in that way IMO; 98 percentile hockey IQ.

Who is more electrifying? Who has the higher potential? Thanks.

Reactions: Devonator

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Who is more electrifying? Who has the higher potential? Thanks.

I'd say Michkov is a mix of Kucherov and Kaprizov and Demidov is a mix of Kaprizov and Panarin.

Yeah, they both have something from Kaprizov, but it's Kucherov/Panarin parts that differ them. Panarin is flashier while Kucherov is more effective.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I'd say Michkov is a mix of Kucherov and Kaprizov and Demidov is a mix of Kaprizov and Panarin.

Yeah, they both have something from Kaprizov, but it's Kucherov/Panarin parts that differ them. Panarin is flashier while Kucherov is more effective.
Tbh, I saw a decent amount of Crosby stylistically in Michkov this season also

FightingEmu

Apr 10, 2023
Demidovs best comparison is Datsyuk- he is a complete player- plays a 200 foot game- although its hard to project that very strongly out of the MHL. Outside of that he got a rare 10 out of 10 for stickhandling over at locked on prospects from Heidi and the boys and a further comp can be made when you hear them describe his "Datsyukian-like" ability to wiggle through tight spaces and physicality. Ive heard some of the more "surface level" scouts saying hes more talented than Michkov but thats lazy and not really accurate either. Demidov is probably more of a sure thing and has a style that weve seen succeed in the NHL to great effect many times... but Michkovs play gets sort of hyperbolic. It does sort of present as a profile we dont actually see succeeding in the NHL as often as a Demidov projection BUT its errrily similar to Bedards with arguyably BETTER results- so why are we all in on one and dragging our feet on the other?

Michkov is a risk- Im ahuge, huge fan but if he cant thrive playing his style theres an outside chance he doesnt work out at all. On the other side of the coin- if he can find a way to succeed in the NHL this is a player with very few direct comps in regards to sheer skill. Ive heard peiople saying Kucherov but I honestly feel like Michkov is going to carve out his own niche with some stupendous goal totals...

FightingEmu

Apr 10, 2023
Demidov is more elctrifying in the xbox live tournament sense where he dangles around 13 players over the course of a game but still only ends up with one secondary assist by the end WHERAS Michkov is more electrifyiing in the "good lord is he really going to score 70 goals this year???" type of sense. For me thats an easy call- best of luck with your decision...

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Michkov is a risk- Im ahuge, huge fan but if he cant thrive playing his style theres an outside chance he doesnt work out at all.
Have to remember you are talking about the guy who completely changed his play style upon entering the KHL.. from individual effort goal scorer to unselfish playmaker. His "style" is highly fluid and depends a lot on what the coaches ask from him. This season he was dealing with persistent pneumonia so he relied almost entirely on IQ and playmaking

Reactions: tnfrs and FlyguyOX

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Wrong. Some times, some information takes years to come out.
i.e. Chicago Black Hawks.

"Bloggers said"... lolll. They have close to zero credibility.
There are no logic. They would use it against him, they said enough. But they do not do this, because he didn't said it. More over in some interview he said that he was interesting in Montreal too but was shocked how interviews was going on.
Montreal didn't like him before the draft.

Bloggers & writers have credibility when they are pushing the same narrative.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Michkov compares more to Valeri Kharlamov. The Flyers are getting a truly great player. A player we will say is a generational talent.

I see some Kharlamov in him but more Kucherov. A little bit of Crosby too like previously mentioned. Michkov has that uncanny ability to draw the opponents to him, then he makes plays off that. Also his abliity to exploit soft areas is off the charts.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I see some Kharlamov in him but more Kucherov. A little bit of Crosby too like previously mentioned. Michkov has that uncanny ability to draw the opponents to him, then he makes plays off that. Also his abliity to exploit soft areas is off the charts.
Whether it’s Karlamov or Kucherov or Crosby it’s clear there is greatness in Michkov. It’s exciting knowing he will be in the National league next season. Flyers games are now a must watch.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Rotenberg interview

— Is it true that SKA is letting Matvey Michkov go to Philadelphia?

— There is no official decision yet. And we can’t say that we are letting anyone go. You see, this is a serious question. We can talk about some agreements, including rights. You know that Michkov is a high-level player. And if someone wants to buy these rights, let’s discuss.

— Can Philadelphia technically do this?

— I don’t want to reveal a commercial secret. But you understand that we invested a lot in Matvey. And if he does not become the leader of Philadelphia, then we will definitely wait for him back in the KHL.

And I will emphasize that this whole story was influenced by Michkov’s family situation. We need to support him in this. This is not a hockey issue, but a family issue. And we all must support Matvey.

— It’s good that you have a dialogue with the Flyers.

- We have the opportunity to communicate. We know different languages well. It is very important in our work to speak different languages. In general, I advise all children to study as many foreign languages as possible so that they can talk to everyone. Communication is the basis of everything.

And we have good communication, we communicate with everyone. We are absolutely open. And we invested a lot in Matvey, I can honestly tell you. I personally did a lot to ensure that he played for us, so that he would come to us. I personally did this. I invested a lot of time and effort into developing this player in our organization.

But we want to support Matvey as a family. We want to give him the opportunity to develop. If, for example, he cannot play in the first line of Philadelphia and does not receive the first majority there, if he is sent to the AHL or even to the East Coast League, then we will do everything to ensure that Michkov returns and plays only in the KHL.

I say again, these issues are still in dialogue. We want Matvey to receive maximum support in his family situation. After all, family values are above all.

— Why do NHL clubs regularly send players with their contracts on loan to the KHL, but we cannot do this?

— Legally, this can be called differently. But that's practically what we do. With Michkov, this is such an example. You can call it whatever you want. However, if he does not play in the first line of Philadelphia, he will return to us. That's all.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What a bizarre interview.

Would be a little (a lot) concerning if his KHL team was trying to influence his lineup spot? That's...interesting.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What a bizarre interview.

Would be a little (a lot) concerning if his KHL team was trying to influence his lineup spot? That's...interesting.
Why would they do that? What do they get out of that, especially when they wouldn't even PLAY HIM IN THEIR OWN LINEUP.

Comes across as SKA saving face imo

Reactions: Fatass

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Why would they do that? What do they get out of that, especially when they wouldn't even PLAY HIM IN THEIR OWN LINEUP.

Why not also picking his linemates while at it.

Its the Flying Lizards: Money thats all i want, repeat.

Reactions: wetcoast

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Yup. His former Russian club has zero control over his career in the National League.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I like how the ECHL is brought up as a possibility. Dude isn’t going back to play in the KHL unless he wants a retirement gig when he’s 36.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Rotenberg interview

— Is it true that SKA is letting Matvey Michkov go to Philadelphia?

— There is no official decision yet. And we can’t say that we are letting anyone go. You see, this is a serious question. We can talk about some agreements, including rights. You know that Michkov is a high-level player. And if someone wants to buy these rights, let’s discuss.

— Can Philadelphia technically do this?

— I don’t want to reveal a commercial secret. But you understand that we invested a lot in Matvey. And if he does not become the leader of Philadelphia, then we will definitely wait for him back in the KHL.

And I will emphasize that this whole story was influenced by Michkov’s family situation. We need to support him in this. This is not a hockey issue, but a family issue. And we all must support Matvey.

— It’s good that you have a dialogue with the Flyers.

- We have the opportunity to communicate. We know different languages well. It is very important in our work to speak different languages. In general, I advise all children to study as many foreign languages as possible so that they can talk to everyone. Communication is the basis of everything.

And we have good communication, we communicate with everyone. We are absolutely open. And we invested a lot in Matvey, I can honestly tell you. I personally did a lot to ensure that he played for us, so that he would come to us. I personally did this. I invested a lot of time and effort into developing this player in our organization.

But we want to support Matvey as a family. We want to give him the opportunity to develop. If, for example, he cannot play in the first line of Philadelphia and does not receive the first majority there, if he is sent to the AHL or even to the East Coast League, then we will do everything to ensure that Michkov returns and plays only in the KHL.

I say again, these issues are still in dialogue. We want Matvey to receive maximum support in his family situation. After all, family values are above all.

— Why do NHL clubs regularly send players with their contracts on loan to the KHL, but we cannot do this?

— Legally, this can be called differently. But that's practically what we do. With Michkov, this is such an example. You can call it whatever you want. However, if he does not play in the first line of Philadelphia, he will return to us. That's all.
I know it's translated Russian. I know this isn't the full story. I know it's wrong to judge.

But this dude sounds like a douchenozzle.

Reactions: Redpath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad