What Roster changes do you make if Marner doesn't waive?

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Don’t sit him, make him play all 82 on the 3rd line with no PP time and first PK time. See how much his pay cheque next summer drops with a 55 point season and a noted bad attitude on his resume. We can spin this in the media how WE want to we own them lol.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
If they want Marner to Waive he will waive I think. Press leaks and Marner facing the prospect of being booed and hated in T.O. forever will convince him without having to make him sit.

Title of the thread should be "if they decide not to trade Marner"

Reactions: arso40

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
As much as there is disappointment with Marner, there might be a positive way to look at this:

-He has a serious, sit-down, heart to hear with Berube. He's the new Sheriff in town, as long as Berube isn't undermined from above (and if he IS, there is a much bigger problem than just Marner)...he is given the 'shape up' or else speech.

-You start Marner on the 3rd line, give him PP time (he has the talent obviously) and Berube tells him if he wants more ice time, to work his way out of it.

I don't think him improving his game is out of the question with the above.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Assuming the team cant do any major roster changes with MM and JT sticking around (they'll probably do some minor signings that wont move the needle), Id say regular season wise they dont really have to do anythng except give guys like Knies more time. Keefe barely played him. The team is proven to be a solid 100 pt or so team easily making the playoffs.

Playoff time, play MM less is the easy answer as Keefe played him a ton. Play the grittier guys more since the core 5 (+ Rielly) flame out. Keefe played the core 5 way too much. The team showed when they had Nylander and Matthews injuries they could play a tight game against Boston. Scoring isnt great with or without the core in the playoffs, but at least with more second tier gritty guys more playing time it mixes it up and could wear down the opposition.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
The team set themselves up for failure and only have themselves to blame.

No team should have 8 NMC or NTC clauses on players contracts.

NMC
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Rielly

NTC
McCabe - 7 team NTC
Jarnkrok - 10 team NTC
Kampf - 10 team NTC

Should Marner not waive the Leafs have limited options. What would make Tavares or Rielly want to leave if they see Marner is not willing?

Then you have Jarnkrok and Kampf having some say in the process to be traded and won’t get the best return either.

At this point it would be the Sundin situation all over again where the Leafs wait out both Marner and Tavares and use the $21,903,000 cap space to bolster the roster for next year.

The only silver lining would be new management (most likely Shanahan contract not renewed) and ample cap space. Sometimes you have to lose and learn from your lessons in order to pick up the pieces and win.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Whichever direction you would choose if he did waive remains the play, though obviously scaled back. If there is no plan to ink a new deal you just adjust your sights and push on with the available assets.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think we need to go hard after Stephenson, a second line center who can skate, win faceoffs and contribute at both ends of the ice. He’d fit in nicely playing with Nylander and Knies.

Would like a nice scoring touch from the bottom six as well. A fourth line of Grebenkin - Dewar - Jarnkrok would be really good.

Line 2: Knies - Stephenson - Nylander
Line 4: Grebenkin - Dewar - Jarnkrok

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sacrifice a chicken
lol this reminds me of Major League when Cerrano wanted to sacrifice a chicken.
They got him a bucket of KFC.
1716171422803.gif

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
That would be asinine. You don't bench a point per game plus penalty killer because you don't like his attitude. Leafs fans need to stop being such Karens.
Not to mention, a move like this is a great way to guarantee they have to overpay for free agents for YEARS... Who's going to want to sign at their worth if there's a risk they get stapled to the bench in order to force them to demand a trade?

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Teams have more leverage with players (who have NTCs) than most people realise… there are many cookies and of course ice time that you can take away and leverage, as coach / management teams.

A player can be put on 3rd line, off pp, less minutes, defensive zone face offs only…and then suddenly the player isn’t getting his cookies and his stock and confidence plummets. This can be done subtly and overtly.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way…so let’s see if they have the will.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The team set themselves up for failure and only have themselves to blame.

No team should have 8 NMC or NTC clauses on players contracts.

NMC
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Rielly

NTC
McCabe - 7 team NTC
Jarnkrok - 10 team NTC
Kampf - 10 team NTC

Should Marner not waive the Leafs have limited options. What would make Tavares or Rielly want to leave if they see Marner is not willing?

Then you have Jarnkrok and Kampf having some say in the process to be traded and won’t get the best return either.

At this point it would be the Sundin situation all over again where the Leafs wait out both Marner and Tavares and use the $21,903,000 cap space to bolster the roster for next year.

The only silver lining would be new management (most likely Shanahan contract not renewed) and ample cap space. Sometimes you have to lose and learn from your lessons in order to pick up the pieces and win.
Not that I'm disputing it, but the number of NTC /NMC just in our division:

Boston 8
Buffalo 4
Detroit 9
Florida 5
Montreal 4
Ottawa 6
Tampa 9
Toronto 8

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd like to see them give a serious try with Willy at 2C, possibly with Mitch on his wing.

To an extent, any combination of forward lines that does not have Mitch with Matty, Willy with JT, or JT higher than 3C.

For the PP, in order:
1 - replace JT with someone like Bert who will actually screen the goalie
2 - replace Mitch with Domi
3 - replace Rielly with a shooter.

Reactions: Kazparov and arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
That would be asinine. You don't bench a point per game plus penalty killer because you don't like his attitude. Leafs fans need to stop being such Karens.
If some of the players was not twice the Karens of the most Leaf fans, that would be great!

But you can definitly bench a player due to attitude! And i think you should i some cases. In Marners case, got no idea how he is behind closed doors. Or how to get him going the most. If this is some way to force him to sign elsewere , that would be a terrible look on the leafs.

I would like to see how Marner would react on the Petey (Elias Pettersson) treatment. When the crowd cheered him on when he struggled. Would probably never happen in Leafton .

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If the game plan is just run it back with the core 4 again you've already destroyed a good portion of this fan bases' interest for next season.
I swear to god if they run this core 4 back again next season, I am not watching a single game. I will watch some highlights at around 11 at night and from time to time check the boxscore. But, I certainly won’t be wasting 3 hours of 82 evenings this winter tuning in to watch the same old same old.

But, with that being said, I do think Marner and possibly Tavares will most likely waive their NMC's this summer. Marner specifically. He's not stupid. I think that he knows that he is already 1 foot into Larry Murphy territory with a large % of Leafs nation. Because, imagine that he's still here come September and it gets leaked out that Treliving and company asked him to waive it this summer and he said no? I would not want to be in his shoes for all the Molson Canadian in the world if that happens. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLife17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don’t sit him, make him play all 82 on the 3rd line with no PP time and first PK time. See how much his pay cheque next summer drops with a 55 point season and a noted bad attitude on his resume. We can spin this in the media how WE want to we own them lol.

You would be intentionally making the team worse and that would be profoundly stupid

I swear to god if they run this core 4 back again next season, I am not watching a single game. I will watch some highlights at around 11 at night and from time to time check the boxscore. But, I certainly won’t be wasting 3 hours of 82 evenings this winter tuning in to watch the same old same old.

But, with that being said, I do think Marner and possibly Tavares will most likely waive their NMC's this summer. Marner specifically. He's not stupid. I think that he knows that he is already 1 foot into Larry Murphy territory with a large % of Leafs nation. Because, imagine that he's still here come September and it gets leaked out that Treliving and company asked him to waive it this summer and he said no? I would not want to be in his shoes for all the Molson Canadian in the world if that happens. Lol

Marner might, I don't think there is ANY chance Tavares does.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd like to see them give a serious try with Willy at 2C, possibly with Mitch on his wing.

To an extent, any combination of forward lines that does not have Mitch with Matty, Willy with JT, or JT higher than 3C.

For the PP, in order:
1 - replace JT with someone like Bert who will actually screen the goalie
2 - replace Mitch with Domi
3 - replace Rielly with a shooter.

They have tried it several times, including this past season.

Nylander is 27 or 28 if he was going to be a center at the NHL level he would be by now.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
You would be intentionally making the team worse and that would be profoundly stupid
Why? There is a zero percent chance we win the cup with this team next season as is. Zero. It's not 0.1 or something, it's zero.

If we trade Marner for something else like a legit goalie or Muzzin replacement it would become non-zero. Or just replace him with hard working players with less skill players who give it all out there. Give me another McMann and a Muzzin replacement and I'll never remember Marner's name.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why? There is a zero percent chance we win the cup with this team next season as is. Zero. It's not 0.1 or something, it's zero.

If we trade Marner for something else like a legit goalie or Muzzin replacement it would become non-zero. Or just replace him with hard working players with less skill players who give it all out there. Give me another McMann and a Muzzin replacement and I'll never remember Marner's name.

What you said in this post, VS the post I responded to are 2 VERY different things.

Obviously a trade built around say Marner and Saros is VERY different from taking him off the PP, putting him in the bottom 6, with scrubs leaving him on the PK.

One is a legitimate trade for a position of need.

The other just f***s the team over and would be profoundly stupid.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Let's hope those bargain bi supporting players can get in there and twerk that thang like Martinez always dreamed about.
I miss Senor Martinez. I can't imagine him getting banned so I hope he just moved on from here and is in good health. Pretty formulaic around here without him. Always got mad about the bullying he sometimes endured.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not that I'm disputing it, but the number of NTC /NMC just in our division:

Boston 8
Buffalo 4
Detroit 9
Florida 5
Montreal 4
Ottawa 6
Tampa 9
Toronto 8
Almost 30% of the players have some form of a movement clause.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
We have forwards enough by adding Marlies or Cowan/Minten
We stop scoring because of D. Our PP suffered because of D.
I would concentrate on getting strong puck moving guys. Not sure how. Marner trade is necessary to get someone of quality. We need our own Makar.
We need a shot from blueline. We need a puck carrier. A number one dman.
Oh, a goaltender would be good, but judging Hildeby is crucial for the staff. I see little sense getting a mediocre goalie like Markstrom...they are disappointing and in the end waste cap space. Tired of that.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
What you said in this post, VS the post I responded to are 2 VERY different things.

Obviously a trade built around say Marner and Saros is VERY different from taking him off the PP, putting him in the bottom 6, with scrubs leaving him on the PK.

One is a legitimate trade for a position of need.

The other just f***s the team over and would be profoundly stupid.
You missed the point. If he refuses to waive and we just let him resume his role on line 1 and PP1 what does that say about us? Thanks, go get 100 points so you can leave for nothing and get a nice fat pay cheque into retirement? If we bully him maybe we can force him to accept a trade and get f***ing anything instead of nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You missed the point. If he refuses to waive and we just let him resume his role on line 1 and PP1 what does that say about us? Thanks, go get 100 points so you can leave for nothing and get a nice fat pay cheque into retirement? If we bully him maybe we can force him to accept a trade and get f***ing anything instead of nothing.
There’s almost a 0% chance he won’t waive. He has become the face of failure, not all his fault, but there’s no way he will risk playing another year. The guy would get booed if scored a game winning goal.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad