HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Personnaly i don’t have Newhook in our future top 6…third line LW period
That would be my prediction as well. However, you rarely see teams have their 6 best forwards in the top 6. Newhook is a good complement if we add someone like Lindstrom.

Otherwise, I agree, 3rd line.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Scoutching
1704939383854.png

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The only knock I have on Catton is the physical strength, he gets pushed off the puck rather easily and doesnt always react well under tight checking. He is not really strong or agressive enough on the puck either. But easy skills for sure, very smooth skater/puckhandler and processes the game at a very high level. Very nice playmaking/shooting combo.

I think Helenius just brings a similar offensive package, but has the stronger frame and a more projectable pro game at this point IMO. Catton is a solid prospect and I like him, but I think Helenius is a notch ahead. Just my 2 cents.

Both will be dominant next U18.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The only knock I have on Catton is the physical strength, he gets pushed off the puck rather easily and doesnt always react well under tight checking. He is not really strong or agressive enough on the puck either. But easy skills for sure, very smooth skater/puckhandler and processes the game at a very high level. Very nice playmaking/shooting combo.

I think Helenius just brings a similar offensive package, but has the stronger frame and a more projectable pro game at this point IMO. Catton is a solid prospect and I like him, but I think Helenius is a notch ahead. Just my 2 cents.
Im affraid that Catton is a kind of next Matthew Savoie, Krebs. Small good player in the WHL. To me, maybe a guy like Tij Iginla is less scoring, but this guy gonna be 6 ft 1, 6ft 2 and already a great contributor in the WHL. He has upside. Same for Cayden Lindstrom

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Im affraid that Catton is a kind of next Matthew Savoie, Krebs. Small good player in the WHL. To me, maybe a guy like Tij Iginla is less scoring, but this guy gonna be 6 ft 1, 6ft 2 and already a great contributor in the WHL. He has upside. Same for Cayden Lindstrom
I think he is smarter than Savoie and will be the better player, but yeah, he is a lightweight who lacks power and strength. Great finess though.

I like the 6-12 range much better than last year, we will get a good one Im sure.

BTW I liked Buium so much last WJC that Im going to track his next 3-4 games and likely make a video out of it that Ill post over here.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Cayden Lindstrom for me. Huge kid already, plays a 200 foot game and with a big chip on his shoulder. The perfect powerful complement to Nick Suzuki’s smooth style, he’s the kind of center that logs huge minutes and has the great combination of skill and nastiness that helps you win cups.

I think he has the potential to be the lynchpin for the Habs offense in a couple of years.

Newhook - Lindstrom - Dach
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Beck - Anderson
Heineman - ____ - Gallagher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Struble - Barron
Xhekaj - Mailloux

That is a lineup that is built for anything. High end speed, talent, size, toughness.

Landing Lindstrom could really do wonders for this team.

Reactions: WinterLion

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
You realize that Catton is on pace to almost double Krebs’ draft year production, right? These players aren’t even in the same strosphere. I also agree with Goldenhands that he’s a smarter and better player than Savoie. Savoie also played on a stacked team, while Catton’s team is hot garbage.

And don’t look now but precisely 10 of the top 20 scorers in the NHL currently are around 185 lbs or less. I was making the same arguments for Zach Benson in the 2023 draft and here he is, stepping into the NHL immediately out of the draft and posting half a point per game as an 18-year-old, 170-lb rookie. If a player shows the potential to be a true play driver, that is more valuable to me than a bigger complementary player every time.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
D Crop is deep but if the season ended today, we could still see a run on forwards.

With no lottery movement.

San Jose - Celebrini obviously
Hawks - probably another forward to pair with Bedard - lindstrom
Sens - could go either way - let's give them a D for arguments sake
Ducks - either way as well - deep both ends of ice
Jackets - forward for sure IMO - Werenski, Jiri and Mateychuk on D
Sabres - Either way
Wild - who knows
Habs - sitting 8th right now. We could jump to 6th. Is it possible Catton is the third forward off the board at 6th? Sure

Maybe Dickinson, Levshunov, Silyayev go first.
I think nobody passes on Celebrini Eiserman regardless of needs. Premium for Dmen likely means Dickinson Silayev Levshunov maybe even Buium could all go top 3-6 depending on Demidov russian factor. It means that Lindsrom Helenius Catton should be up for grabs at 8OA in my opinion. MBN is not in the same category in my opinion.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Both will be dominant next U18.
I follow Euro hockey more than NA Junior but to me Helenius is indeed a very good option for the Habs in the top 10. His offensive IQ is great, but from the highlights I saw from Catton he seems effortless on many plays, this is also impressive.

You realize that Catton is on pace to almost double Krebs’ draft year production, right? These players aren’t even in the same strosphere. I also agree with Goldenhands that he’s a smarter and better player than Savoie. Savoie also played on a stacked team, while Catton’s team is hot garbage.

And don’t look now but precisely 10 of the top 20 scorers in the NHL currently are around 185 lbs or less. I was making the same arguments for Zach Benson in the 2023 draft and here he is, stepping into the NHL immediately out of the draft and posting half a point per game as an 18-year-old, 170-lb rookie. If a player shows the potential to be a true play driver, that is more valuable to me than a bigger complementary player every time.

Frankly this is just stat and highlight watching for NA but Catton impresses me more than any of the players you mentioned. He seems very good.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Benson is in the NHL but since the Sabres are a clueless organization it doesn't mean he should be.

Personnaly i don’t have Newhook in our future top 6…third line LW period
Maybe but he is scoring line calibre.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Parekh Goal - 0:26
Parekh Goal - 1:43
Parekh Goal - 3:30

Why isn't he rated with the top d for the draft?

Cayden Lindstrom for me. Huge kid already, plays a 200 foot game and with a big chip on his shoulder. The perfect powerful complement to Nick Suzuki’s smooth style, he’s the kind of center that logs huge minutes and has the great combination of skill and nastiness that helps you win cups.

I think he has the potential to be the lynchpin for the Habs offense in a couple of years.

Newhook - Lindstrom - Dach
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Beck - Anderson
Heineman - ____ - Gallagher

Guhle - Reinbacher
Struble - Barron
Xhekaj - Mailloux

That is a lineup that is built for anything. High end speed, talent, size, toughness.

Landing Lindstrom could really do wonders for this team.
where is he now? Injured?

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
Helenius seems like the prototypical Finnish prospect to me in the sense that he's a very complete player but has no single elite ability that I'd be looking for in a top offensive prospect. Good but perhaps not quite elite IQ, decent shot, average skating, solid two-way player. Doesn't exactly fit the mould of a top-end offensive wizard that the Habs should be looking for in my mind.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Benson is in the NHL but since the Sabres are a clueless organization it doesn't mean he should be.

I’m not saying he should or shouldn’t be in the NHL right now. I didn’t see him as the type of player to make the jump immediately either but he’s produced well and made some highlight reel plays despite that. I’m just making an argument for players with similar attributes.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Gonna be starting to tune into this thread now that we're into the new year and things aren't looking too bright in the standings for the Habs (or on the ice).

It's looking like we're probably going to be picking in the 5-10 range, barring a lottery win. It's looking like Catton, Helenius, or Lindstrom might be a target if we go with a forward?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Helenius seems like the prototypical Finnish prospect to me in the sense that he's a very complete player but has no single elite ability that I'd be looking for in a top offensive prospect. Good but perhaps not quite elite IQ, decent shot, average skating, solid two-way player. Doesn't exactly fit the mould of a top-end offensive wizard that the Habs should be looking for in my mind.
His release and offense hockey IQ say hi. That s what people used to say about Aho, Hintz, Lundell… Harder to seem elite when you play with men at 17 than when you are deking around 17 year old who will never make it to the pros.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gonna be starting to tune into this thread now that we're into the new year and things aren't looking too bright in the standings for the Habs (or on the ice).

It's looking like we're probably going to be picking in the 5-10 range, barring a lottery win. It's looking like Catton, Helenius, or Lindstrom might be a target if we go with a forward?
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton/Lindstrom/Eiserman for 3rd tier forwards
Levshunov/Buium for 3rd tier Ds

Helenius is good but shouldn't be part of the convo, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad