HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
it's politics. it's not about the best of the best. every year we seem to be left scratching our heads, win or lose, it's just the politics behind hockey canada.

I don't think it's politics at all, he's just not quite there yet. Particularly at D you want players who can handle the speed / pressure (case in point Maverick Lamoureux didn't handle the Swedish/US level). We needed someone like Mews a lot more than Dickinson on that D. He'll be there next year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Suzuki is fine as he is at 212 lbs and you can always trade smaller assets that may be redundant on your roster but valued on others. Tampa won with a relatively small forward group and huge D.......

Indeed, you can always trade, but there is an assumption that is not always true. It's not always true that you get your value back and that it doesn't cause significant roster issues. It's way better when you can draft your core players, sign and keep them - and they are the players you need to win.

GalHabsGal

Dec 14, 2012
Hi all , after watching a couple of video from the top 10 picks of 2024 (Eliteprospect) I have a new favorite at number 1, and its not Celebrini :)

It'ssssssssssssssssss Ivan Demidov

Note: I will still pick celebrini at 1, but Demidov is such a spectacular prospect :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bonneaug and bopeep

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Hi all , after watching a couple of video from the top 10 picks of 2024 (Eliteprospect) I have a new favorite at number 1, and its not Celebrini :)

Note: I will still pick celebrini at 1, but Demidov is such a spectacular prospect :)

His edge is amazing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

We need that player so hard. There's nothing we need more than a guy that skates, shoot, passes and dangles like that.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I don't think it's politics at all, he's just not quite there yet. Particularly at D you want players who can handle the speed / pressure (case in point Maverick Lamoureux didn't handle the Swedish/US level). We needed someone like Mews a lot more than Dickinson on that D. He'll be there next year.

Since no one is mentioning him, what's your take on Mews? Haven't heard a peep on him since the Hlinka.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Since no one is mentioning him, what's your take on Mews? Haven't heard a peep on him since the Hlinka.

He has the toolbox of an excellent offensive D. He just needs to mature to turn into a Zellweger type. The biggest risk is slow physical maturation, it's a test for him, and he needs a lot of gym time he has everything else. Current flaws on the ice can be mostly explained by this. But hey, point per game for a D at 17 in the OHL, is pretty damn good. Looking forward to a big 2nd half from him as he turns 18. He's not talked about enough for the draft, it's weird to me to see him rank 16-25. With the somewhat lacking talent level this year, I would rank him higher.

Canada didn't have one true offensive D in that lineup, it's pretty hard to compete without it, particularly against Hudson etc.

Reactions: Sagikev and Leto

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
So far 2022 and 2023 are both good looking draft for Habs. I really hope that 2024 draft will be a another good looking aswell.

I believe that Habs will select between 6 and 12 if the Lottery don't change the position.

So we are going to be able to select a very very good prospect. If Habs select a LD, they will maybe try to trade Kaiden Guhle for a very very good young offensive foward (but I don't want to see it because I'm a big fan of Guhle since his draft year and he is going to be a top pair D 100%).

But at this range, no doubt, a player like Catton, Helenius will be there. Too good defense prospect are available at this draft and a good forward prospect will drop. Always a great talent drop in any draft, looks Zach Benson in 2022 draft.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
So far 2022 and 2023 are both good looking draft for Habs. I really hope that 2024 draft will be a another good looking aswell.

I believe that Habs will select between 6 and 12 if the Lottery don't change the position.

So we are going to be able to select a very very good prospect. If Habs select a LD, they will maybe try to trade Kaiden Guhle for a very very good young offensive foward (but I don't want to see it because I'm a big fan of Guhle since his draft year and he is going to be a top pair D 100%).

But at this range, no doubt, a player like Catton, Helenius will be there. Too good defense prospect are available at this draft and a good forward prospect will drop. Always a great talent drop in any draft, looks Zach Benson in 2022 draft.
That's what happens when you keep a lot of picks. Even after trading for Newhook we still picked 9 times.

Because the NHL draft age is much lower than other leagues, fourth round picks can have as much value as a first. We can see that with Xhekaj and Konyushkov having great seasons and even miller looking good.

if we'd traded picks in 2023 though, we wouldn't have gotten Hutson. Picking 11 times let us take chances on Hutson, mesar and engstrom when none of them would have been available at our natural next picks.

slaf-beck-rohrer-guidon-davidson is a lot less impressive.

people shouldn't scoff about getting a fourth here and there for petry or retaining cap because the dart board philosophy is correct.

look at 2020, Farrell was our third fourth round pick and the first two guys are never getting AHL contracts. Rhp was our 9th pick and deep in the 7th round. If we hadn't had those extra picks Farrell and rhp never would have been drafted by us.

If Bergevin had started following this philosophy earlier maybe Timmins never would have been fired.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I'm beginning to scratch the surface on this year's crop and what I can say is this: Because of the strength of the D crop and the likelihood of a team having a love affair with Lindstrom, someone could have a chance to get Berkly Catton outside of the top 5 and that would be an absolute steal. Berk or bust, baby!

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm beginning to scratch the surface on this year's crop and what I can say is this: Because of the strength of the D crop and the likelihood of a team having a love affair with Lindstrom, someone could have a chance to get Berkly Catton outside of the top 5 and that would be an absolute steal. Berk or bust, baby!

Catton wil be a excellent consolation prize for Habs if we can't able to draft Cayden Lindstrom, for sure !

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not sure if anyone watched that BU NU game last night, I wonder if the Habs will take a late round flyer on Dylan Hryckowian. He's been passed over the last 2 years, but is having a good Freshman year and put up good #'s in the USHL last year. He's a local kid and I have suggested that Hughes may be interested in signing his older brother Justin (who scored last night, he wears the C) since he will know him very well as former teammates with his sons and Struble/Harris.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
D Crop is deep but if the season ended today, we could still see a run on forwards.

With no lottery movement.

San Jose - Celebrini obviously
Hawks - probably another forward to pair with Bedard - lindstrom
Sens - could go either way - let's give them a D for arguments sake
Ducks - either way as well - deep both ends of ice
Jackets - forward for sure IMO - Werenski, Jiri and Mateychuk on D
Sabres - Either way
Wild - who knows
Habs - sitting 8th right now. We could jump to 6th. Is it possible Catton is the third forward off the board at 6th? Sure

Maybe Dickinson, Levshunov, Silyayev go first.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
D Crop is deep but if the season ended today, we could still see a run on forwards.

Sabres - Either way
Wild - who knows
Habs - sitting 8th right now. We could jump to 6th. Is it possible Catton is the third forward off the board at 6th? Sure

Were sitting at 8 so were guaranteed one of Celebrini, Dickinson, Levshunov, Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, Buium or Eiserman.

I love every single one of them and they change this franchise pretty heavily if they hit at lets say 75%.

8th OA is the furthest Im willing to go. Of course we may see other players go in the top 8, but thats the choices I want. And it we could get inside the top 5...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Sabres - Either way
Wild - who knows

Yeah I have

Celebration
Demigod
Dick and his sons
Levure Russe
Cat turned on

in my top 5.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Celebrini is the clear cut 1st pick. Quite a drop off after him. Dynamic Jonathan Toews. 80-100 point potential.

Demidov - top line winger - Shiftier Tarasenko
Catton - 2nd line center - Matt Duchene
Lindstrom - 2nd line center - Pierre-luc Dubois
Eiserman - 1st/2nd line winger - Phill Kessel
Brandsegg-Nygard - 2nd line winger - more physical Bjorkstrand
Parekh is electric player. Scored 22 goals as 16 year old. Scoring 1.3ppg this season. Right shot, high hockey smarts

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
If we get another first Adam Jecho would be a guy i would really like.

Looks like he’s flying under the radar on the public side but i bet he’s higher on some scouts lists.
We need RW,I like his size(6’5’’) ,his stats are ok…not Great. What kind of player is he?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
He's big but he's not "Lindstrom" big. His shot is good, powerful but not extremely quick to release, not "Eiserman" good. His game without the puck is very mature I'll give you that, but again, not something extremely rare.

If we had picked Michkov/Benson last year I would be all for picking MBN because he would be a great complement. Now, we don't need a complementary player, we need a play-driver.

If you pick Catton, you make space for him in the top-6. If it's at the expense of Newhook, then so be it.

As always, it is much easier to add size than talent through FA/trade.
Personnaly i don’t have Newhook in our future top 6…third line LW period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad