HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Do you think Buium might end up being 1st defenseman off the board? I liked his WJC alot personally.

I like Buium a lot. Pretty sure I predicted him going top 10 last summer when were making hot takes early. My other hot take was Catton wouldn't go top 10. I'm less sure about that one now. He's on the cusp.

But, there's definately a Niedermayer/Makar/Byram aura about Buium. He had a terrific WJC, was solid in the Finals at only 17, and is eating up the NCAA with Denver. He has 25 points in only 18 games & is +13. There's a lot to like about him.

Dickinson is a tremendous young D too. Really composed. He's bigger than Buium, and has true defensive intelligence. Just a smart, smart kid. A true two-way defensemen. He's more Hiskanen/Pietrangelo type. Offensive upside isn't as high as Buium's, but he's a complete package, and should be a defensive force.

Buium could easily be the first D drafted, if you think he has Makar/Hughes type upside. Buium is having a better NCAA rookie season than either of them did.

I think both D will go top 6. I'm way higher on the D in this draft than the forwards other than Celebrini, Demidov & Lindstrom.

Eiserman really is a bigger version of Caufield. Like Caufield during his draft year, he needs to work on his separation speed & his defensive game. I have him #4 for forwards behind the top 3.

Iginla, I have in my back pocket, as a player of interest. 😀

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Justin Poirier is a right winger (5'8'') who is ranked 53rd in the next draft. He has 31 goals in 38 games and 45 pts. He is one of the youngest players eligible for the 2024 draft. His size can be scary but his brother (Jeremie) is 6'1'' and was selected by Calgary in 2020. Knowing that the Habs are looking for offensive talent, Could he be an interesting candidate in the 3rd-4th round?
IMG_4818.png
IMG_4819.png

Reactions: Frank JT

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
IMG_4823.pngIMG_4825.pnghttps://twitter.com/steveewen/status/1376362115573841923?s=61&t=q1g47JddgyF2RK0-bL2XTQMazden Leslie is a RD(6’0’’)who began his junior career at age 15 in the WHL. Despite interesting stats last year (50 pts in 66 games with a differential of -1), in his first year of eligibility for the NHL draft, he was not selected. This year, he has 25 pts in 36 games .It seems to me to be a high risk, high reward type of selection...in the final round?

Reactions: Frank JT

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Do you think Buium might end up being 1st defenseman off the board? I liked his WJC alot personally.

I don't think so. Bob McKenzie said today that his wjc for scouts bumped him up a little but other scouts didn't move him at all.

Dickinson still looks like the first defenseman off the board to me, that's the defenseman profile that every GM in the league loves.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Where would Reinbacher fit in this year’s draft compared to the other defensemen? The top end of this draft seems pretty strong.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I like Buium a lot. Pretty sure I predicted him going top 10 last summer when were making hot takes early. My other hot take was Catton wouldn't go top 10. I'm less sure about that one now. He's on the cusp.

But, there's definately a Niedermayer/Makar/Byram aura about Buium. He had a terrific WJC, was solid in the Finals at only 17, and is eating up the NCAA with Denver. He has 25 points in only 18 games & is +13. There's a lot to like about him.

Dickinson is a tremendous young D too. Really composed. He's bigger than Buium, and has true defensive intelligence. Just a smart, smart kid. A true two-way defensemen. He's more Hiskanen/Pietrangelo type. Offensive upside isn't as high as Buium's, but he's a complete package, and should be a defensive force.

Buium could easily be the first D drafted, if you think he has Makar/Hughes type upside. Buium is having a better NCAA rookie season than either of them did.

I think both D will go top 6. I'm way higher on the D in this draft than the forwards other than Celebrini, Demidov & Lindstrom.

Eiserman really is a bigger version of Caufield. Like Caufield during his draft year, he needs to work on his separation speed & his defensive game. I have him #4 for forwards behind the top 3.

Iginla, I have in my back pocket, as a player of interest. 😀
IIHF has Buium listed at 6'2 180 lbs while most lists have him at 5'11 - 6'0, if IIHF is correct, I could see the kid being picked pretty early. maybe top 5.

Unless we are lucky with the lottery, Im expecting to draft around 5-7 OV, I wouldnt be surprised if the Habs would considere seriously one of Helenius, Buium at that spot.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Where would Reinbacher fit in this year’s draft compared to the other defensemen? The top end of this draft seems pretty strong.

At the top. You could pick Levshunov ahead if you favored the offensive upside to the defensive game. Dickinson who I would pick ahead of Levshunov is a left shot so likely doesn't go ahead of Reinbacher.

Reactions: Lebowski

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
IIHF has Buium listed at 6'2 180 lbs while most lists have him at 5'11 - 6'0, if IIHF is correct, I could see the kid being picked pretty early. maybe top 5.

Unless we are lucky with the lottery, Im expecting to draft around 5-7 OV, I wouldnt be surprised if the Habs would considere seriously one of Helenius, Buium at that spot.

Yup. I have him in my top 6. At worst, he's a Byram/Hughes (the younger, NJD D) type D. Both of them went 4th OA. There is huge offensive upside with him though that a team could view him as a Makar/Niedermayer type. He's very, very good for such a young D, and not just offensively, but defensively. I was really impressed with how he handled the big Swedish forecheck, his overall composure on D, and his physicality. Impressive for a 17 year old. He's doing great at NCAA level too.

I wish Canada had invited Dickinson. I think he could have performed better than some of the other D they invited. I don't understand that one. Dickinson was really strong during London's run to OHL Championship game last year. He has big game experience. Don't understand some of TC's selections this year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Leon Muggli, 17 year old Swiss defenseman, outproducing Reinbacher this year in the NL

He plays on a team that has as many losses, as Kloten has wins. Reinbacher severely out-produced him in u20, and out-produced him as a 17 year old on a worse team in the same league. Muggli is smaller too. He's probably 3-5 rounds.

Kloten is just beyond bad. I was in favor of sending Reinbacher back to the NL this year, but now I regret Montreal made that choice. There's bad then there's Kloten. They're like 3 levels below bad. Kid hopefully is in AHL next year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Should we use one of our RDs (Barron maybe) to trade for Kaaop Kakko and draft a D in this year's draft?

NYRs are set at RD. They have Fox, Trouba & Schneider. If anything they could use a LD behind Miller & Lindgren. They have Gustafson there.

I still like Kakko even though he's not putting up numbers. He's a forechecking/defensive beast.

Reactions: Sagikev and Nevins

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm surprised there isn't much talk of a need for a 2nd 1st this year, I think it would be pretty sweet to grab a forward and one of the defenders

We definitely should get a second 1st this year, but I'm just not hopeful that it happens.

I would like a higher 2nd round pick than what we have too.

Say, we pick #8 in 1st round, our next pick is probably 60-ish. That really sucks. We can thank Bergevin for that one. Dvorak trade.... :facepalm:

skidcells

May 11, 2023
So, maybe a stupid question, why is Liam Greentree ranked mid to end of first round? Looks to me like a top 15 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad