HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Reading the comments, if it ever comes down to Demidov v Buium, there’s a fair amount of people that will get absolutely shocked with the pick and have a meltdown.

I won’t like it and will never like it, but at least I got over the first set of emotions (anger, despair).

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Reading the comments, if it ever comes down to Demidov v Buium, there’s a fair amount of people that will get absolutely shocked with the pick and have a meltdown.

I won’t like it and will never like it, but at least I got over the first set of emotions (anger, despair).

Both are incredibly high IQ players.

I'd be okay with either.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Buium-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Xhekaj

You get 3 minute munching all situations defenseman in your top 4. That projects well for the playoffs, which is how they are building this team, to win a cup.

Also right now Hutson is their only player that projects to be a puck moving defenseman. They might not feel comfortable gambling on him becoming a top 4 guy and can play playoff hockey to pass on Buium who is basically a lock to be one, probably closer to top pairing.
Buium can play on the right side too...

Reactions: Totonada

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I somehow doubt Basu is getting fed morsels this year. There is nowhere near the controversy we saw in the past two drafts.
He surely has some inside contacts but they aren't flying any trial balloons to soften fan response.
He's actually giving us the same names we've been looking at since the Post Seasons ended for the Kids.

HuGo runs a tight ship I just don't see them leaking anything as being advantageous this year unless it's misinformation.
So you are purely speculating about Basu speculating. This is brillant.

skidcells

May 11, 2023

I'd be okay with either.
To be clear I like Buium. I have him 6th on my list. His IQ, I agree, is off the charts. What I struggle with is why you would select in this case the avg size d with no truly elite physical tools (his elite skill is iq) over the forward with elite hands and iq who also happens to be an area of need for your club.

That’s the question I would like to get answered. It’s a relative measure. If say Lindstrom and Demidov are off the board and the decision is between say Buium/Dickinson/Iginla/Sennecke I am more open to the reasoning even if I like Dickinson and Sennecke more but both have flaws/weaknesses that you can’t overlook

But if Basu suggests it’s Demidov v Buium and we pick Buium then I don’t get it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Absolutely not :DD.
The funny thing is I don't ever listen to outside sources media blogs etc.
I'll take in the articles that interest me from our forum so you will very rarely be getting any recycled opinions from me.
I take full ownership of my peccadillo's.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
To be clear I like Buium. I have him 6th on my list. His IQ, I agree, is off the charts. What I struggle with is why you would select in this case the avg size d with no truly elite physical tools (his elite skill is iq) over the forward with elite hands and iq who also happens to be an area of need for your club.

That’s the question I would like to get answered. It’s a relative measure. If say Lindstrom and Demidov are off the board and the decision is between say Buium/Dickinson/Iginla/Sennecke I am more open to the reasoning even if I like Dickinson and Sennecke more but both have flaws/weaknesses that you can’t overlook

But if Basu suggests it’s Demidov v Buium and we pick Buium then I don’t get it.

Who?

Lindstrom?

Boy is cooked.

Sennecke?

Boy hasn't proved enough.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I'd be okay with either.
There are at least 8 blue chip prospects available at the top of the this year’s draft, each of whom would immediately become our best prospect, not named Hutson. One may quibble over their respective choices based on position, size, etc., but even a Bergevin level thinker would have trouble screwing up this pick. What Hughes does with that increasingly valuable 26 OA pick will determine the overall strength of this draft class.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rochab and Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's one thing to draft Price when you have Theo. It's a whole other thing to use your next first round pick to take a goalie again. And your next draft to take another one with a first rounder again.

At some point it becomes an exercise in insanity. We need to stop collecting LDs as though they're Pitlicks.

We are completely stocked on LD. We don't need another one. We desperately need another forward and there are plenty of great ones available. Don't overthink this.

Not to mention we already have other LDs that we have to move. It makes absolutely no sense from that perspective.

If he was head and shoulders the right guy? Sure. But I'm not even sure he's the right LD. Meanwhile we've got Demidov who's taller than expected and a higher rated prospect. It would be absolutely crazy not to take him at this stage. Lidstrom I get. I wanted him but the injury is scary. But there's just no way to justify not taking Demidov if he gets to us. Sennecke, Lidstrom, Catton... I'm good with any of them. But draft a forward.

We already have a blueliner with a similar profile in Hutson
We already have an excess of LDs that we're going to have to move
We badly need a forward
Getting younger on D sets the development curve back even further
There'd be controversy that he's not even the best LD available

You're right. Why is this even a debate?

You are overthinking all of this.

It would be a catastrophe to settle for a top 6 forward when we could have had an elite 1LD.

We all have our own view and preference but if Lindstrom and Demidov are gone by the time we pick, it means one of Silayev or Buium is there (or Lev). It would be such a shame to settle for a lesser forward at the expense of one of those D in the name of already having a plethora of good #2-3. Needing a forward, etc.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Absolutely, you have it right but many of us die hards find his reporting empty and his hockey analysis worthless. Nothing against his professionalism but he’s just not interesting. Marc Dumont was better at hockey talk than Arpon ever was.

Agree on Dumont but god sometimes he is so f***ing cringe at the point i felt hindered

Both have gamebreaking talent. Both have extremely high upside.

People just can't get over the fact we may end up with another LD because we have a plethora of good #2-3 there.

Reactions: ReHabs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Agree on Dumont but god sometimes he is so f***ing cringe at the point i felt hindered

Both have gamebreaking talent. Both have extremely high upside.

People just can't get over the fact we may end up with another LD because we have a plethora of good #2-3 there.
That’s why God created trades.

Reactions: Jaynki

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The final 2024 media/scout poll for the OHL draft hopefuls is out, for those who are looking for some sunday morning reading material !

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
One thing for sure, I'm 100% with that scouting staff.

In 2022 draft, they nailed it. Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom and Rohrer. That's solid picks. Slaf is literally a futur star type of guy. Hutson have that potential aswell.

In 2023 draft, they select a top premiere D-man in Reinbacher, his pre-season with Habs and AHL 11 games are really promising. He can become a very very good two-way D in NHL, high potential.

Fowler, Konyushkov, Volokhin, Miller and Xhekaj... that's a lot of good potential right there. I'm very high on Fowler and Volokhin.

I'm confident with that #5 but also with the another picks aswell, they can nailed it again and draft a lot of good potential.

No matter if it's a F or D at 5, I'm totally fine with adding a great talent in this team. We need talent, that's it.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If you think the forwards left are 2nd liners and a top pair D is available, who do you take? That’s the real decision.

habsjosh2k2

Sep 28, 2006
Wheeler has been on the Demidov to Chicago train for awhile. Had him mocked there in his first mock draft. The fact that he changed for his final mock after the Russian combine is a good sign.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If you think the forwards left are 2nd liners and a top pair D is available, who do you take? That’s the real decision.

If Demidov or Lindstrom are not there, it's more logic to draft a top pair D.

Zeev Buium will be a perfect choice, he have high talent. Great offense but also can be a solid two-way aswell. So playing with Mailloux, that will be a very very good pair.

Habs draft players based in 5 years who will be the best, in 5 years, Zeev Buium can be considering to be the best D in this year draft class.

Good forward can be acquire in trades, look Panthers GM Zito... he traded for Tkachuk, Reinhart and Bennett.

Build the best possible D-core and acquire good forward, I'm totally fine with that.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

What an easy decision

After Mcgoarty and Gauthier no more USA player for me.
This means NO to Buium and Eiserman.

Best to pick a real canadian
Lindstrom or Catton

But what after Caufield, Harris, Struble and Tuch ?

I would look into the organisation too. Philly and Winnipeg must be two of the most toxic organisation out there. Strong contender with CBJ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad