HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
6f2 is not the right size ? Do you saw him skate ? He won everywhere, thats a legit top prospect, the time he will be ready, we will know what we have with Hutson, if he become good enough to be top 4 great, if not we have Buiim who i see at least top 2

And again if Hutson become solid, we could get élite talent for Buiim

D always have high trade value
Thought he only measured in at 6ft

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
6f2 is not the right size ? Do you saw him skate ? He won everywhere, thats a legit top prospect, the time he will be ready, we will know what we have with Hutson, if he become good enough to be top 4 great, if not we have Buiim who i see at least top 2

And again if Hutson become solid, we could get élite talent for Buiim

D always have high trade value
Zeev Buium is listed at 6'0

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Anyone have Zeev buium's height by any chance?

According to the 2024 NHL Combine heights and weights reported, Zeev Buium measured in at 6 feet 0 inches tall and weighed 186 pounds.

1719129217795.png

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Wheeler’s final mock:
1-Celibrini
2-Levshunov
3-Silayev
4-Demidov
5-Lindstrom

5. Montreal Canadiens: Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat Tigers

If the Ducks and Blue Jackets don’t take Lindstrom, I think Montreal or Utah will. I know they had dinner with Tij Iginla at the combine and there is some chatter about Sennecke going really high (I had one OHL source tell me there has been chatter as high as No. 3 about Sennecke), but those feel more like Plan Bs and Lindstrom feels like a perfect fit within the forward group they already have in Montreal. If he’s a center, the Canadiens have their 1-2 with him and Nick Suzuki. If he’s a winger, it’s not hard to imagine him playing alongside (and off of) the smarts of a Suzuki. In the unlikely event that both Lindstrom and Demidov are available, I do wonder if the winds are blowing in Demidov’s direction. And if they do surprise and go with a D, I’d guess that Buium makes the most sense logically.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's one thing to draft Price when you have Theo. It's a whole other thing to use your next first round pick to take a goalie again.
It's not the same thing at all. Only one goalie plays in a game (unless pulled which you don't play for). Six D play. Jose Theodore had just won the Hart and Vezina trophies. As deep as our D pool is, we probably don't have a Norris trophy candidate in the system or even a true #1 D.

And your next draft to take another one with a first rounder again.
This regime has only taken one D so far with its three 1st round picks.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Yeah he did - but he's talking about a few of the players and then makes other comments. Way he talked about Silayev and what he said later matched up and they were saying he did the same thing last year when asked about Fantilli and Carlsson.

Me when someone suggests drafting Iginla, Helenius or Buium at 5

View attachment 885836

1719140901069.png

I still don't mind Iginla at 5 though

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
One week till the draft ladies.

This shit is like looking at a menu too long, it gives me too much time to change my mind.

You f***ers have managed to convince me, dissuade me, re-convince me, make me question my own beliefs..........Thank god we only have to wait another 7 days or my head might explode.
Beauty post. I'm right there with you. I have it narrowed down to 10 guys at 5.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see Wheeler has us taking Eriks Mateiko in the 2nd round. WTF? :huh:

Wheeler must really hate the Habs.

It's not the first time I saw that.. I have no idea why.

Demidov went from 3.50 to 2.70 since Friday on SportsInteraction, 2nd overall pick. Wheeler still has them taking Levshunov, let's see how Pronman feels with this final mock.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Courtesy of The Athletic:

“One of the reasons I believe the Canadiens passed on Michkov was the degree to which his willingness to compete would waver, and though I only watched Demidov’s playoff games, I did not see that same variance in competitiveness. He fights for pucks. He skates back hard on defence. He physically engages opponents. In other words, he cares, and it shows.

Is Demidov a defensive stalwart? An elite two-way player? No, of course not. But he was engaged in the game, at least in my viewings, in a way that was not the case in the games I viewed in Michkov’s draft year. Demidov’s compete does not appear to be an issue.”

- Arpon Basu
Yeah I'm sure Arpon watched all his games we probably have guys on our forum who saw more games than he did.
I never got the fascination with what Basu says on this board? :dunno:

To me he's no better than any of the other shills we are subject to in our market.

Reactions: Redux91

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Yeah I'm sure Arpon watched all his games we probably have guys on our forum who saw more games than he did.

To me he's no better than any of the other shills we are subject to in our market.
It’s undeniable the guy has sources and when he writes pieces like this one, as much as he says he has no inside info, he’s being a vessel for information management wants to disseminate across the fanbase. It’s happened numerous times in the past and yet multiple people still dismiss this fact.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

I wrote elsewhere, Arpon was fed a few morsels from the club at around this time last year and the year before so now we have no choice but to give his insightless droppings some weight. He's otherwise useless and has nothing to say the rest of the year.

Reactions: dinodebino

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s undeniable the guy has sources and when he writes pieces like this one, as much as he says he has no inside info, he’s being a vessel for information management wants to disseminate across the fanbase. It’s happened numerous times in the past and yet multiple people still dismiss this fact.

This the same routine we went through when he said they were leaning Slaf. And when they wouldn't take Michkov and would be looking at Reinbacher or Leonard.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Injury Prone Guhle Games by season.

18/19 88 games played which includes 23 in the post season.
19/20 64 games played no post season.
20/21 Covid shutdown
21/22 63 games played which includes 19 in the post season.
22/23 44 games played raw rookie NHL.
23/24 80 games played including 10 at the Worlds.

In 5 seasons there were 2 blips in 21/22 Guhle played 44 of the 65 regular season games but was healthy for the post season where he put up 8-8-16.
In 22/23 we all know what happened Guhle missed nearly half the season but I felt we over played him and he got hurt because of fatigue.
In 23/24 Guhle played 70 of the 82 games plus 10 additional games at the worlds.

This notion that he is injury prone doesn't fly for me. He's had injuries but I expect he will continue to get stronger/smarter and avoid man games down.
I also don't fault him for the POS Ducherov incident.

The funny thing is Guhle has played far more Hockey than Xhekaj during that time span but we don't hear anything about Arber being Injury prone.
I only wish Kirby Dach could give us as many games as Guhle is.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wrote elsewhere, Arpon was fed a few morsels from the club at around this time last year and the year before so now we have no choice but to give his insightless droppings some weight. He's otherwise useless and has nothing to say the rest of the year.

Basu does tend to enjoy the sound of his voice but he’s usually well spoken and puts thought behind what he says. He’s a reporter, so he’s doing his job but he’s usually pretty transparent on his process when it comes to evaluating players and admits he’s not an expert as those who do it for a living. I respect him because he puts his name and face out there and unlike some others in the media, does not lash out at fans who disagree with him.

I don’t always agree with what he says, but again, he puts himself out there and he has also admitted time he was wrong. He usually does this with a level of class. In the end, everyone us entitled to an opinion, including you, so I’m not trying to shit on anyone, but end of the day, he does his job fairly well which is to report.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Basu does tend to enjoy the sound of his voice but he’s usually well spoken and puts thought behind what he says. He’s a reporter, so he’s doing his job but he’s usually pretty transparent on his process when it comes to evaluating players and admits he’s not an expert as those who do it for a living. I respect him because he puts his name and face out there and unlike some others in the media, does not lash out at fans who disagree with him.

I don’t always agree with what he says, but again, he puts himself out there and he has also admitted time he was wrong. He usually does this with a level of class. In the end, everyone us entitled to an opinion, including you, so I’m not trying to shit on anyone, but end of the day, he does his job fairly well which is to report.
Absolutely, you have it right but many of us die hards find his reporting empty and his hockey analysis worthless. Nothing against his professionalism but he’s just not interesting. Marc Dumont was better at hockey talk than Arpon ever was.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Absolutely, you have it right but many of us die hards find his reporting empty and his hockey analysis worthless. Nothing against his professionalism but he’s just not interesting. Marc Dumont was better at hockey talk than Arpon ever was.
I somehow doubt Basu is getting fed morsels this year. There is nowhere near the controversy we saw in the past two drafts.
He surely has some inside contacts but they aren't flying any trial balloons to soften fan response.
He's actually giving us the same names we've been looking at since the Post Seasons ended for the Kids.

HuGo runs a tight ship I just don't see them leaking anything as being advantageous this year unless it's misinformation.

Reactions: dralaf

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Every prospect has skeptics and doubts. There are no sure things.

You made it seem like you had important insight into his game from the perspective of knowledgeable commentators and analysts (valuable) but I don’t think you do.

My assertion: When compared to other defensemen prospects of the 2023 and 2024 draft, Levshunov seems to be at the top of the heap. Whether the consensus is (a) he is expected to learn better defensive play or (b) he has good defensive instincts already in him, I don’t know, but whatever knocks against him, there are more knocks overall against other D prospects.

I don’t remember Reinbacher’s reports very well though my gut tells me Lev is overall better regarded (as draft prospect) than him as well. Reinbacher seems to fall within that topX consensus for 2024 though, so he isn’t too far off.

Yeah I don’t know how the Caydophiles can square the “super beast powerforward unicorn” with ‘… has a back injury that never heals’

The problem is that CBJ have no reason to risk a 4OA pick on him either. Do they go for Denison? Does ANA? CHI?

If CBJ want a forward and Lindstrom is DND, who can they draft other than Demidov?

We’re behind the looking glass.
That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad