HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Would anyone be willing to drop to #9 if Cal traded up for Iginla. Not sure what the sweetener would be. Still get one of Senneke, Catton, Eiserman. This is if Demidov & Lindstrom are off the board.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Would anyone be willing to drop to #9 if Cal traded up for Iginla. Not sure what the sweetener would be. Still get one of Senneke, Catton, Eiserman. This is if Demidov & Lindstrom are off the board.
Depends how you view the difference in value between the next 5 guys on your list

If you have someone on a tier by their own, you should ask for a lot and they might most likely decline. If all 5 are in a similar tier and ranked closed to each other, sure, try and land their late first at least and then you pick whoever's left

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not me. I don't like the idea of trading down. There are some BPA's at 5 that will still be there. We can walk away with one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, or Lindstrom.

I'd try to use other assets to get another pick from 10-14.

Reactions: bleuetbio

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Only if Lindstrom's medicals are bad.

Right now it looks like the sense is Demidov-Lindstrom-Sennecke in that order.

I can see it but it's not Dickinson, it's Levshunov.

- Russian factor is there, it's not a big factor but it's there.
- Demidov is a smaller winger with not great skating, this isn't the best combination with their already smaller forward group.
- Demidov has played in the MHL two years in a row, not a lot of viewings against high level competition
- They have live viewings of Levshunov, they don't have live viewings of Demidov.
- They have a big hole on right defense and for a #1 defenseman and we know teams value defenseman over wingers 95% of the time.
- Blackhawks are in a multi-year rebuild and if you forecast the next draft, it's barren on defense but full of skilled forwards and skilled forwards with size.

What if the internal evaluation of Hutson, Engstrom and Xhekaj are higher than yours?

What if the internal evaluation of Buium and Dickinson are lower than yours?

You don't draft Buium because you already like what you have on the left side and you aren't as bullish on him. I'm not that bullish on Buium and a bunch of other teams obvious aren't either, otherwise he'd be viewed a lot higher on the NHL affiliated lists than he is.

Ducks will be looking at Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson they need a big, rangy, defensive oriented defenseman to help insulate Mintyukov and Zellweger. They already have MacTavish, Terry, Carlsson, Zegras and Gauthier up front.

So two examples of a defenseman for forward trade in the last, what, 10 years?

This is a fallacy that it's so easy to find a match if you have too many defenseman to flip them for a forward.

That was his own personal list, it's his mock draft that is influenced by what he is hearing. That being said, the noise around Sennecke is legit and Pronman described him as having loud tools, which he does.
Imagine calling Demidov "not a great skater".

Esti the things you read by the so called "autorithy" in the scouring thread. Jesus.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Imagine calling Demidov "not a great skater".

Esti the things you read by the so called "autorithy" in the scouring thread. Jesus.
He's gotta get stronger and get a better first step and top speed, and he's got a bit of Galchenitis with the hunchback but he makes up for it with very good lateral movement because of the 10-2. If he can fix some of the technical aspects and gain more strength and separation speed it won't even be fair.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes assuming the payout is big. Otherwise we just pick Iggy. I'd want Vancouvers pick or their two 2nds, otherwise they can pick whoever Yakemchuk.

I'm sure we can grab one of Iggy, Catton, Sennecke at 9 and if they're not there, it means one of Demidov, Buium, Lindstrom, Dickinson is there. I'd just be sad to pick Silayev or Yakemchuk.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I am curious to see where Hutson starts next season. I'm sure he gets good usage in pre season games
* Dickinson / Guhle would be a great top pairing IMO.
* Hutson / Reinbacher would be a great 2nd pairing
* Xhekaj / Mailloux would be a great 3rd pairing.

If we were to draft Dickinson, we could package Matheson with one of our 1st and other adds to get a top 6F.
i know Guhle played RD for abit last year but i want him back on his preferred side

Guhle-Reinbacher should be our first pairing in the future

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yes assuming the payout is big. Otherwise we just pick Iggy. I'd want Vancouvers pick or their two 2nds, otherwise they can pick whoever Yakemchuk.

I'm sure we can grab one of Iggy, Catton, Sennecke at 9 and if they're not there, it means one of Demidov, Buium, Lindstrom, Dickinson is there. I'd just be sad to pick Silayev or Yakemchuk.
Dropping to 9 would mean Catton is almost certainly there. He's 3 on my list, so unless Demidov is there at 5 you take it and run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i know Guhle played RD for abit last year but i want him back on his preferred side

Guhle-Reinbacher should be our first pairing in the future

That day will come. For now, Matheson and Guhle will most likely stick. Guhle learning and growing on his off side is a good test for him. I would call this positive development because he is still producing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's gotta get stronger and get a better first step and top speed, and he's got a bit of Galchenitis with the hunchback but he makes up for it with very good lateral movement because of the 10-2. If he can fix some of the technical aspects and gain more strength and separation speed it won't even be fair.
He's a great skater period. Ever since David Saint-Louis came around skating is overanalyzed and underrated with nearly every player.

A lot of the same was said about Benson last year and it was just as foolish, only Benson isn't as good a skater as Demidov. Anti-scouting at best.

You have to realize that guys like David Saint-Louis are influencers first and foremost. What are they selling you if they just say Demidov has no weaknesses? Why are you watching the next video on him?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dropping to 9 would mean Catton is almost certainly there. He's 3 on my list, so unless Demidov is there at 5 you take it and run.

I'd much rather take a better BPA at 5 (one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom) and make a trade to get another pick from 9-13 range and take Catton.

Lets say we draft Dickinson at 5. Does Hutson and Jets 1st get attention and a pick from 9-13? I'm not desperate to trade Hutson but I think we would be find if Dickinson is drafted

Reactions: Doublechin

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He's a great skater period. Ever since David Saint-Louis came around skating is overanalyzed and underrated with nearly every player.

A lot of the same was said about Benson last year and it was just as foolish, only Benson isn't as good a skater as Demidov. Anti-scouting at best.

You have to realize that guys like David Saint-Louis are influencers first and foremost. What are they selling you if they just say Demidov has no weaknesses? Why are you watching the next video on him?
I don't care for that guy, I'm basing this on my own viewings of him. His skating is good now, but there are things he can improve on that will take him to another level if he works at it.

I'd much rather take a better BPA at 5 (one of Dickinson, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom) and make a trade to get another pick from 9-13 range and take Catton.

Lets say we draft Dickinson at 5. Does Hutson and Jets 1st get attention and a pick from 9-13? I'm not desperate to trade Hutson but I think we would be find if Dickinson is drafted
I'd much rather take who would be BPA at 5 (Catton) at 9 if teams let him drop there and pick up extra assets in the mean time.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't care for that guy, I'm basing this on my own viewings of him. His skating is good now, but there are things he can improve on that will take him to another level if he works at it.

I'd much rather take who would be BPA at 5 (Catton) at 9 if teams let him drop there and pick up extra assets in the mean time.

Demidov's skating is very good as it stands today. I'm not sure how much more improvement has has left in that area.

My biggest question mark with Demidov is does he become a PP / perimeter player. Does he shy away from physical contact. That's hard to know from MHL games.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Demidov's skating is very good as it stands today. I'm not sure how much more improvement has has left in that area.

My biggest question mark with Demidov is does he become a PP / perimeter player. Does he shy away from physical contact. That's hard to know from MHL games.
I don't think that will be an issue, he seems pretty inside driven from my viewings.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You might have your own opinion or draft board, but have you seen any credible list that has Catton in the top 5? 5'-11" and 163 lbs. He's a skill type that will most likely never be gritty. Someone like Suzuki was 185 lbs at the same age as Catton today. The ability to use edge work and cut around guys depends on weight/strength. Do you think Catton is the type to put on muscle and get to 190+? I think we made this mistake with KK. "he will fill into his frame". Personally, I rather take the guy who is already strong and has skill/skating.

I see S Jarvis type. A good top 6F.

I don't think that will be an issue, he seems pretty inside driven from my viewings.

I've seen him shy away from contract along the boards in some of the video I have watched and I also think it's the reason why he only got 4 KHL games. He's not ready physically.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
So what is all happening day to day at the combine.....seminars, meetings, etc...? When should some meaningful info start being released to the masses?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
You might have your own opinion or draft board, but have you seen any credible list that has Catton in the top 5? 5'-11" and 163 lbs. He's a skill type that will most likely never be gritty.

I see S Jarvis type. A good top 6F.

I've seen him shy away from contract along the boards in some of the video I have watched and I also think it's the reason why he only got 4 KHL games. He's not ready physically.
Again, I'd ask what a credible list is. Credible lists dropped Kucherov nearly to round 3, Bouchard to 10, Point to round 3. In my opinion Catton is the 3rd best prospect in the class after Celebrini and Demidov, so I'd take the risk of dropping to 9, grabbing 29 in the process, and using some picks to move up and grab someone in the 10-15 range.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, I'd ask what a credible list is. Credible lists dropped Kucherov nearly to round 3, Bouchard to 10, Point to round 3. In my opinion Catton is the 3rd best prospect in the class after Celebrini and Demidov, so I'd take the risk of dropping to 9, grabbing 29 in the process, and using some picks to move up and grab someone in the 10-15 range.

I understand that redrafts changes things. But I also see reaches that usually don't pay off. Usually, teams reach for players like Slaf or Reinbacher but they are trending hot towards the draft. Yzerman did that with Sieder as well. We did that with KK and it didn't work. Good U18's but played bottom 6 center role in Liiga and those numbers were not good at all.

What makes Catton a hot trend to earn taking him early? I do like this player but not at 5. CHL production is only one layer of evaluation with me. I've seen far too many guys rack up points and struggle once they turn pro because they are not physically ready and struggle with time/space.

I think Catton is a risky pick at 5. This is a skill/skating pick and he's not elite in these areas. Very good but not elite.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I understand that redrafts changes things. But I also see reaches that usually don't pay off. Usually, teams reach for players like Slaf or Reinbacher but they are trending hot towards the draft. Yzerman did that with Sieder as well. We did that with KK and it didn't work.

What makes Catton a hot trend to earn taking him early? I do like this player but not at 5.
I think the 5th spot provides too much value not to trade down in that scenario. Teams will want to move up for Lindstrom or Silayev or whomever, and I'd bet on Catton being available at 9. I wouldn't necessarily take him at 5 not because I don't think he's the BPA there, but because we could probably get him and an add-on.

Reactions: BXN

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The dilemma is trying to figure out how many top pairing D and how many top line forwards their are in this draft. I see a lot of talk on the D as BPA but there is likely only 1 or 2 top paring guys. With the forwards, it's the same thing. There is likely only 1 or 2 top line talent. At the end of the day, there is a fair amount of probability that if we take a D, we are taking a top 4D vs a top 6F.

From these 6 guys, Who is Top Pairing, Who is Top 4D, and Who Disappoints?
Silayev
Levshunov
Dickinson
Parekh
Buium
Yakemchuk

From these 7 guys, Who is 1st line, Who is Top 6F, and Who Disappoints?
Demidov
Lindstrom
Iginla
Catton
Helenius
Eiserman
Sennecke

My guess is only Dickinson becomes top pairing and the others are top 4D. Demidov and Iginla are top line talent. The others are either top 4D/Top 6F or busts/disappointments. Yes, that's it, only 3 are hits at the top of the line-up. Include Celebrini and that's 4 hits. Look at the 2018 draft for example.. How many hits or top of the line-up players are there? 4-6? Could there be 6 hits in this top 14? Possible yes but it's not 6+.

Dahlin is like Celebrini. Take them out because we don't have a shot at drafting them. Then we got 3 hits on D... Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. Forward hits are Svechnikov & Tkachuk. My gut tells me this draft will be similar in terms of how many top line talents their are. I'm going to say 4-6 range. Will their be 4 hits on D? I'll bet against that.

UVyx48G.png

Crazy that 5 of the top 9 picks from that 2018 draft are pretty much busts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the 5th spot provides too much value not to trade down in that scenario. Teams will want to move up for Lindstrom or Silayev or whomever, and I'd bet on Catton being available at 9. I wouldn't necessarily take him at 5 not because I don't think he's the BPA there, but because we could probably get him and an add-on.

I personally think teams in the 8-13 range are looking at a waive of BPA and will just take what is left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Crazy that 5 of the top 9 picks from that 2018 drafts are pretty much busts.

It happens almost every draft year. Maybe not 5/9 but it happens more than fans realize. I really do think there are only 1 or 2 top D pairing hits and 1 or 2 top line F hits (Celebrini excluded because he is not possible for us).

I see a lot of gullible statements and conversations on that D group. Looks like a lot of top 4D quality for me with a chance there are 2 top pairing guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad