HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Rewatching some Iginla games, I think he's pretty much a dream project for Nicholas and St Louis. Always the right instincts, skills just need to catch up in some areas. If our skills coach can't make a 1st liner out of him, he should be fired lol

Reactions: bopeep

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
easy sennecke for me, cant teach what that dude has in his head, go watch him, he makes the plays before his body has the ability to catch up his mind, seems like he still has some kinks to work out since his growth spurt but I think he has highest upside outside the top 2
I really like Sennecke. Amazing skillset and high upside. He'll likely need at least another season in the OHL.

Interesting user name by the way. However I think you should have named yourself "uppercase". :naughty:

Welcome aboard, Rookie!

1717080415992.png

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
On the other hand, here is “can’t pass” and “not that skilled north-south” player Cayden Lindstrom

View attachment 877451
Do people say he isn't that skilled north south? I've always thought that was clearly the strongest part of his game.

I think he does miss short passes fairly often, but I think that's the kind of thing that gets ironed out as he gets used to his range.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It’s not stats, it’s games tracked. Literally watching him 20 games and he was poor in transition.

Is there an enticing player? Yeah of course, he’s 6’7 and an elite skater. But he’s not particularly good with the puck. You’re hoping to draft an elite shutdown defenceman and hope he improves the puck skills. In fact he apparently needs to improve defensively too. Someone that is 6’7 and skates like him should be far more aggressive in preventing zone entries. But maybe that’s due to coaching, I don’t know. Or maybe he’s tentative because he doesn’t want to be sent down to the MHL.
Those stats mean nothing for a 17 year old Dman playing in that league (KHL). The eye test by scouts employed by NHL teams like his puck skills.

I feel he's getting the Slaf treatment on here.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Those stats mean nothing for a 17 year old Dman playing in that league (KHL). The eye test by scouts employed by NHL teams like his puck skills.

I don't think his puck skills are a big issue, I just don't see the offensive upside that people are projecting on him. Not a lot of deception, not much creativity, okay passing. I think he can be a good #2 at his higher end, but I'd say the chances of him being a Chara or a Hedman are slim to none.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

To me it means a lot if I’m picking Top 10 in a draft absolutely loaded with defencemen. Silayev would be a great project on a team that is close to competing, not a team desperate for talent.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Basu on BPM sport today said Lindstrom is the wildcard of the draft. He hears he could go as soon as 3-4 but also drop around 10-11-12, because there’s questions about him.

Also said Sennecke is also a wildcard but the other way around, he’ll rise.

The rule is that they have to turn down a contract offer, so likely the Rangers did have a contract offer to Cherepanov.. where Toronto never did as Amirov was under contract the whole time.

I could be wrong and they made an exemption for the Rangers there but with Bourdon he was already signed and playing, so that makes sense why they never got anything.
Lol. David Fischer turned down a contract offer ?. Well if anybody was going to turn down a contract from us glad it was him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lol. David Fischer turned down a contract offer ?. Well if anybody was going to turn down a contract from us glad it was him.

Yes, they offered it right after the draft with the specific intention of him turning it down to go to college. It's common practice between NHL teams and NCAA prospects.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don't think his puck skills are a big issue, I just don't see the offensive upside that people are projecting on him. Not a lot of deception, not much creativity, okay passing. I think he can be a good #2 at his higher end, but I'd say the chances of him being a Chara or a Hedman are slim to none.
The same things were said about Chara and Hedman. Chara didn't put up any offence in his life before the NHL and didn't get 40 points until he was 27 years old. Hedman had 4 points in his first season in the SEL. Many in here crucified Hedman for his low production in two WJC tournaments.
To me it means a lot if I’m picking Top 10 in a draft absolutely loaded with defencemen. Silayev would be a great project on a team that is close to competing, not a team desperate for talent.
Again, this is what folks were saying during Slaf's draft year and D+1 year. Silayev's not a sexy pick so public lists don't rank him as high as NHL teams do (#3 on Bobby Mac's poll of NHL scouts). Big raw kids take a few years to catch up with their bodies but provide huge rewards when/if they realize their potential.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
The same things were said about Chara and Hedman. Chara didn't put up any offence in his life before the NHL and didn't get 40 points until he was 27 years old. Hedman had 4 points in his first season in the SEL. Many in here crucified Hedman for his low production in two WJC tournaments.

Again, this is what folks were saying during Slaf's draft year and D+1 year. Silayev's not a sexy pick so public lists don't rank him as high as NHL teams do (#3 on Bobby Mac's poll of NHL scouts). Big raw kids take a few years to catch up with their bodies but provide huge rewards when/if they realize their potential.
The same things were also said about Tinordi, Oleksiak, Morin, and Stanley.

You left out Hedman's draft year in the SEL where he put up 0.5 ppg, and anyone projecting based on the WJC should stop.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
This is from a user on Reddit so I don’t personally have access to a bunch, if people start asking for more.

View attachment 877463

View attachment 877464
I wish they'd mention which games they were tracking so we could see the progression as the year goes on. Pretty much shows what you'd expect though - Sennecke needs to hire a shooting coach, Iginla needs to work on softening up his hands a bit, especially when passing the puck.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Here is Eiserman which backs what a lot of people have said - all he has is a shot

View attachment 877466
Also backs that he's tried to add some playmaking to his game, but man if he thinks his defense is fine he's in for a hell of a surprise at the next levels.

Anyone interviewing him needs to grill him on that and figure out if he's really willing to put the work in, because he needs a lot of it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Catton. Think this shows he’s likely a winger at the next level.

1717082704278.png

Love all these stats but his sample size is the problem. The results would be much more meaningfull if he tracked more games. We also have no idea which games he tracked.
I mean you can’t expect someone to watch 60 games of every prospect. He has a big enough sample size to get a fair understanding of a player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wish they'd mention which games they were tracking so we could see the progression as the year goes on. Pretty much shows what you'd expect though - Sennecke needs to hire a shooting coach, Iginla needs to work on softening up his hands a bit, especially when passing the puck.
To me I’m less concerned about the shot and I would want a player with his puck skills to carry the puck through the neutral zone more. The stats show he’s got a great success rate when he does, so why not do it more? Next season will be big for him.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad