Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think it's very unlikely we'll see Silayev be our pick, he's under contract in the KHL until the end of the 2025-26 season, so even if we took him with the plan of replacing Guhle with him, he'd still be 3 seasons away from joining us.

Helenius is a real possibility IMO, if Lindstrom is gone at our pick or his medical report is too concerning, then I could see management going with Helenius as their #2 preferred center.

Eiserman is in the same boat as Catton for me, I'd be fine with either guy since I think they both have pretty game changing upside, but I'd be shocked if management is overly high on either guy.
I don’t think there’s any justification for taking Helenius over Sennecke or Iginla, if Demidov and Lindstrom aren’t there.

These guys picked two big and toolsy players the last two drafts. I can’t see them going for a vanilla 5’11 player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t think there’s any justification for taking Helenius over Sennecke or Iginla, if Demidov and Lindstrom aren’t there.

These guys picked two big and toolsy players the last two drafts. I can’t see them going for a vanilla 5’11 player.

They're not taking Helenius. Basu didn't even entertain it and Pronman mentioned he's dropping.

Reactions: Troyp

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Would you call Suzuki or Hischier vanilla players?

Reactions: Xirik

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
They want skill up front and size is also a priority.
They've brought this up multiple times.
I don't think high floors, or D are as important for the #5 pick

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Seems Lindstrom is kinda sliding which is to be expecting considering he’s barely played in months. I don’t think it’s totally unhinged to think we could have our pick of forwards not named Celebrini. Demidov would be top of my list but he’s Russian so who knows. Very well could come down to Lindstrom and Sennecke.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Waiting for the tournament he's going to excel at. First it was the U18, then it was the World Championship because he's used to playing with pros. You got anything scheduled Helenius can show off at? :sarcasm:
1 average u18 on a terrible Finland team wont change much in their evaluations. Kid was playing exhibition games with the senior national team where he was one of their top players when he got told to report to the U18. He also played ton of hockey including hard playoffs games in Liiga... A kid like Dvorsky was playing 4th line minutes near the end of the season and barely played in the playoffs, u18 was his last chance to shine and improve his draft stock...

I know what this kid is about and capable of.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
1 average u18 on a terrible Finland team wont change much in their evaluations. Kid was playing exhibition games with the senior national team where he was one of their top players when he got told to report to the U18. He also played ton of hockey including hard playoffs games in Liiga... A kid like Dvorsky was playing 4th line minutes near the end of the season and barely played in the playoffs, u18 was his last chance to shine and improve his draft stock...

I know what this kid is about and capable of.
Agreed that he shouldn't be evaluated based on short tournaments.

Reactions: Vachon23

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Helenius is the 2nd best 100% center in the draft and there is no chance of getting the best, If the organization wants a center then there is really only one choice.

That being said Demidov, Lindstrom, Levshunov, are all ahead of him in BPA. Anyone else you can argue deep in the weeds about which is the next BPA.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Helenius is the 2nd best 100% center in the draft and there is no chance of getting the best, If the organization wants a center then there is really only one choice.

That being said Demidov, Lindstrom, Levshunov, are all ahead of him in BPA. Anyone else you can argue deep in the weeds about which is the next BPA.
Yeah that worked out well for the team before, reaching specifically for a centre who happens to be from Finland while passing on the son of a former NHL legend, among other clearly better players.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yeah that worked out well for the team before, reaching specifically for a centre who happens to be from Finland.
basing a draft pick on a player drafted in the past who did work out and isn't relevant to the current player being talked isn't very sound unless you uncovered that all of Finland drinks "suck at hockey" water.

Also if you read my post I never said that they should draft Helenius.

Reactions: Jabba11

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Yeah that worked out well for the team before, reaching specifically for a centre who happens to be from Finland while passing on the son of a former NHL legend, among other clearly better players.

Except Helenius wouldn’t be a reach since there’s no clear BPA after Celebrini-Demidov-Lev.

Also what happened with KK is irrelevant with today.

Reactions: WinterLion

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
basing a draft pick on a player drafted in the past who did work out and isn't relevant to the current player being talked isn't very sound unless you uncovered that all of Finland drinks "suck at hockey" water.

Also if you read my post I never said that they should draft Helenius.
I’m not basing it on what happened in 2018. I’m just saying it parallels it.

Except Helenius wouldn’t be a reach since there’s no clear BPA after Celebrini-Demidov-Lev.

Also what happened with KK is irrelevant with today.
Lots of scouts would disagree with that. He’s clearly a tier below Iginla, Lindstrom, Silayev.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Preliminary rankings dont come out til Hlinka tournament.

Rough top 25 rankings:

1. Macklin Celebrini (C) - Boston University
1. Cole Eiserman (LW) - US NTDP
3. Ivan Demidov (C) - MHL (Russia)
4. Artyom Levshunov (RD) - Green Bay (USHL)
5. Aaron Kiviharju (LD) - HIFK (Liiga)
6. Igor Chernyshov (LW) - MHL (Russia)
7. Berkley Catton (C) - Spokane (WHL)
8. Zeev Buium (LD) - US NTDP
9. Linus Ericksson (C) - Djurgardens J20
10. Konsta Helenius (RW) - Jukurit (Liiga)
11. Cole Hutson (LD) - US NTDP
12. Zayne Parekh (RD) - Saginaw (OHL)
13. Cayden Lindstrom (C) - Medicine Hat (WHL)
14. Beckett Sennecke (RW) - Oshawa (OHL)
15. Tomas Lavoie (RD) - Cape Breton (QMJHL)
16. Trevor Connelly (C) - Tri-City (USHL)
17. Anton Olsson (LD) - Mora J20
18. Carter Yakemchuk (RD) - Portland (WHL)
19. Liam Greentree (RW) - Windsor (OHL)
20. Maxim Massé (RW) - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
21. Sam Dickinson (LD) - London (OHL)
22. Ryder Ritchie (RW) - Prince Albert (WHL)
23. Henry Mews (RD) - Ottawa (OHL)
24. Jesse Heslop (LW) - Everett (WHL)
25. Tij Iginla (C) - Kelowna (WHL)
Interesting seeing these rankings from June 30 , 2023 from Page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad