Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So who's the leading candidate right now for the annual HF Habs Brady Tkachuk do not draft award campaign? Iginla?

Sennecke, for sure.

I don't think anyone has advocated for -not- picking Iginla. All I've seen is everyone likes Iginla, but not everyone likes him enough to pick him over the alternatives.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You think Sennecke would cause a meltdown? I think people would be cautious but I don’t know if there would be a full blown meltdown. I guess it depends on who they pass on.

Oh yeah, he'd cause a meltdown.

Ever since he got some exposure as a potential top 5 pick it's all been how he's the next KK, it's just a hot streak, etc. etc. and the Iginla hype train is simply chugging along too hard at this point.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Ever since he got some exposure as a potential top 5 pick it's all been how he's the next KK, it's just a hot streak, etc. etc. and the Iginla hype train is simply chugging along too hard at this point.
nothing can be worse then the KK pick. nothing

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Well I’m here for it.

I don’t think anyone would make me meltdown. At that point the pick is made, let’s roll with it and hope for the best.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I mean on Bob's list, Kotkaniemi was at 5 behind Zadina at 3 and Tkachuk at 4. He was in the mix for anyone at that spot, it isn't like they passed on Andrei Svechnikov at 2 who was consensus BPA there. McCarron absolutely, he was a projected mid 2nd rounder.

"The No. 5 spot on TSN’s final rankings goes to Finnish centre Jesperi Kotkaniemi, who was No. 19 on the mid-season rankings and No. 10 on the draft lottery edition rankings. His strong performance at the World Under-18 Championships in April has vaulted him into the top five and provided this draft with something that it seemed to be missing all season long — a potential No. 1 centre."

I think that's pretty unfair. The prime Gallagher was a good player, he could score from the hashmarks, he was involved in the play.

Iginla has some dangles, sure, but he exposes the puck a lot in the middle of the ice and got routinely stripped of it against PG and in the U18s. Puck possession was great for Gallagher too.

I'm just using Gallagher as an example, you're not gonna find two players who overlay one another perfectly. What I'm saying is, is that, if his playmaking game and handle game doesn't improve then that's really what you are going to get, a shoot first/only guy who tries to get to the front of the net on the majority of his puck touches.

There's no surefire center after Celebrini in the top 10 of the draft, Helenius has similar questions. I think you'd have to go down to Luchanko and Beaudoin to find a 1st round center, they're gonna get over drafted because of that too, imo.

I'm not sure that drafting a D with the intention of moving them for a center is going to pay off long term either. Like other than Seth Jones for Johansen and more recently Byram for Mittelstadt, that's the only two cases over the last what 15 years?

I saw him miss a lot of very slam dunkish passes for scoring opportunities. Enough of a frequency for me to question that part of his game.

Again, these are my ? marks, the exercise should always be are these ? things we can see being fixed and if they can't be, can we live with the player with that question mark?
Carolina’s lotto luck in 2018…just bitterness here.

I didn’t know what to make of KK at the time, but Svech was The Guy.

OMG that lotto stung me bad.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
You think Sennecke would cause a meltdown? I think people would be cautious but I don’t know if there would be a full blown meltdown. I guess it depends on who they pass on.
I think so. Many struggle to see past stats or to understand the context in those stats...especially when they lose their cool which happens in here a lot. :laugh:

Also many fall in love with a prospect and dig their heels in despite the different evolutions among all the potential candidates. It's why there is so much affinity to players based on their 16 year old seasons rather than based on their upside and trajectory.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

nothing can be worse then the KK pick. nothing

He's an exciting talent, as was KK. Wouldn't be my pick, but this management has demonstrated they are capable of developing young talent. So if they think this is the guy they can mold, they've bought themselves enough time to see it through without too much immediate judgment from me.

I'll be the first to admit I didn't see Slaf being the player he is now after the first 1.5 years of his career, but here we are.

Reactions: Troyp

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'd be bummed on Silayev or Helenius. That's pretty much the only two.
Helenius won’t happen but Silayev… scouts will have a hard time letting a mammouth that can skate and plays on his wrong side go by. I can hear the drooling from here.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
If we hear Eiserman, Helenius or Silayev as our pick at #5, I'd be quite critical of the decision and would be inclined to scrutinize it heavily in order to understand the thought process and the direction we're going.

I could much more easily accept/understand virtually any of the other names that have been talked about in here at #5. There would be more scrutiny with some than others, but I could imagine being satisfied after hearing the Habs brass talk about the pick afterwards.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
If we hear Eiserman, Helenius or Silayev as our pick at #5, I'd be quite critical of the decision and would be inclined to scrutinize it heavily in order to understand the thought process and the direction we're going.
I think it's very unlikely we'll see Silayev be our pick, he's under contract in the KHL until the end of the 2025-26 season, so even if we took him with the plan of replacing Guhle with him, he'd still be 3 seasons away from joining us.

Helenius is a real possibility IMO, if Lindstrom is gone at our pick or his medical report is too concerning, then I could see management going with Helenius as their #2 preferred center.

Eiserman is in the same boat as Catton for me, I'd be fine with either guy since I think they both have pretty game changing upside, but I'd be shocked if management is overly high on either guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad