HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Yeah this isn’t like last year where you had Bedard as the top guy, then the 4 forwards clearly in Tier 2 and then about 5 players in Tier 3.

Tier 2 this time around genuinely has about 8-9 players.
Those are public tiers in media. Organizations will have very different and much more focused opinions.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Those are public tiers in media. Organizations will have very different and much more focused opinions.
Of course. It’s not like NHL teams rank players by tiers and just close their eyes and point to a name. But I think you can make an argument for a lot of players that could go 2nd overall.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I love Iggy and have him 6th, but I don't think you can genuinely evaluate whether or not someone has "fire in their eyes", and how much of an impact that would even have.
YouTube scout:
I have him at a 3/5 fire in the eyes.
The good thing is that there are fire in the eye coaches and that’s something that the player can work on to at least get to a fire in the eyes league average so I’m not too worried.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't get me wrong, I love Iggy and have him 6th, but I don't think you can genuinely evaluate whether or not someone has "fire in their eyes", and how much of an impact that would even have.

Same reply as the last post. One layer of context among many. It's not something to completely ignore or over put lots of focus on. Are you telling me it means nothing? 0%? Sure. I don't think it's a 0% factor.

Focus is one of the things I evaluate. ONE of MANY things. You're not going to draft Iggy on his fire eyes alone bud. It's just a side context possibly showing how focused he is. Trying to dig into how competitive the player is and how obsessed the player is at improving is of value with me. Watching them read into the play is one area to evaluate and it's not just with the eyes/focus. It could be their tempo or other things.

Watch this carry on for a entire page now. :facepalm:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skip Bayless

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I certainly don't have major convictions on a lot of prospects in this draft.

Celebrini has got a high ceiling and a high floor, San Jose got lucky here.

My #2 is Demidov, but you are lying to yourself if you think it's a comfortable feeling to take a guy that talented without dynamic skating, a game we've never really seen much of at the NHL level, and being stuck playing at the MHL level again this year. The lack of viewings against professionals makes it hard to be definitive on his upside and the skating is very Hutson-esque.

My #3 is Catton, but I'm not convinced he's a center. I'm not so concerned about the size but he is sleight, so how he plays in the playoffs at the NHL level will be a question. He's got a lot of great skills and tools, but the motor and defense went in and out which can be explained by the late injury and the high minutes he played, but the high minutes also could inflate his production, as well.

My #4 is Lindstrom, but I'm not convinced he's a center. The health issues are a ? that we can't answer so it's just a variable we have to put outside the scope of our armchair evaluations. The skill level and shot are great, he's an exceptional athlete but the sample size of top 5 level play is very small and the skating stride is effective but odd.

My #5 is Sennecke, but the production took off when Ritchie got back off his injury. Now there's reasons why that would be the case as he had a massive growth spurt and getting your coordination and figuring out your game at that new size, as a teenager can be tough. Will his style of play work in the NHL? Can he adapt? Was it a prolonged hot streak or a legitimate high upward trajectory?

My #6 is Parekh, but he's not the biggest guy out there similar build to Catton and there are some skating things, his defense is suspect at best. His shot will play but is there enough of a playmaking game to support that?

My #7 is Dickinson, left hand shot, how much better will be compared to Guhle? He's got a lot of the same elements with the big differentiator being that he has a bigger and heavier shot.

My #8 is Levshunov, is he so advanced physically that he might have plateaud? Are the IQ issues a result of being relatively new to hockey or just not a smart defender?

My #9 is Iginla, but I worry he's just prime Gallagher. A great player to have but there's limitations and is that a 5 overall prospect? Great shot, inside drive, good puck protection but the puck handling goes in and out, he has trouble making passes that he needs to make to be a dual threat and can his style of play be maintained over 82 games with his good but not great size?

My #10 is Buium, very similar to Hutson. Great numbers but on a stacked team. Defense is still suspect and I don't know if his offense will translate to the NHL, Hutson did make that move look easy in 2 games but that's a small sample size. I'd not take him for the Habs as if Hutson makes it, we already have him, if he fails, Buium looks destined to fail too.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I dont know who you can compare Iggy to Gallagher lol…

Iggy is already bigger, way better shot catalog, way better release, better puck protection, his edges are 10 times better than Gally.

Wtf?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I certainly don't have major convictions on a lot of prospects in this draft.

Celebrini has got a high ceiling and a high floor, San Jose got lucky here.

My #2 is Demidov, but you are lying to yourself if you think it's a comfortable feeling to take a guy that talented without dynamic skating, a game we've never really seen much of at the NHL level, and being stuck playing at the MHL level again this year. The lack of viewings against professionals makes it hard to be definitive on his upside and the skating is very Hutson-esque.
A few weeks ago I almost called him a "forward version of Hutson" when someone asked a description of Demidov. Good to see I'm not the only one who see it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A few weeks ago I almost called him a "forward version of Hutson" when someone asked a description of Demidov. Good to see I'm not the only one who see it.

Like don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if we managed to get Demidov.. the point is that, the minute you feel completely convinced on any of these guys without asking questions of them, I think you are making a mistake.

Pretty much every prospect has a wart, you just need to do the best you can to figure out if that something matters or not.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think Buium's offense gets overrated and his defense gets underrated. I don't think he's Parekh level offensively, but I think he's possibly the best defensively of the big 6, even above Dickinson who makes more mistakes defensively at this stage of his development.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Like don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if we managed to get Demidov.. the point is that, the minute you feel completely convinced on any of these guys without asking questions of them, I think you are making a mistake.

Pretty much every prospect has a wart, you just need to do the best you can to figure out if that something matters or not.
Yup. You just swap the column(s) where you put the ? on your grid ranking sheet. And the combine interviews will give most of the answers to how the ? can be handled going forwards.

That's why I'm not feeling anything special about whomever gets taken with #5. Habs will do their homework to make sure they can get the most out of the prospect they select.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
No, it's just funny that some people saw Iginla's round 1 and he was the flavor of the week, then they saw Buium in the frozen four games against Fowler/Hutson and he was the flavor of the week, now Dickinson has some excellent Memorial Cup games and he's the guy we need.
Like clockwork lol

And because Lindstrom and Catton didn't play U18 , they should drop and tumble down the rankings lol

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yeah this isn’t like last year where you had Bedard as the top guy, then the 4 forwards clearly in Tier 2 and then about 5 players in Tier 3.

Tier 2 this time around genuinely has about 8-9 players.
Plus, they’re are a LOT of personal favorites it seems.

For example, those that like Yakemchuk; they f***ing LOVE Yakemchuk. Sennecke will have his own stans, so will Parekh.

This thing will be all over the place

Reactions: RandomTask26

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Sennecke's game feels so raw to me, but the impressive tools and playmaking ability makes me imagine how special he could be in the NHL if his game matures. With the right development in the right hands, he could become the second best forward in the draft, but without the right progression he could be a player who perpetually tries to maintain a second line role in the NHL without a "B" game to fall back on in the bottom six. I find it really hard to project him. There's a very high ceiling and a very low floor.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Sennecke's game feels so raw to me, but the impressive tools and playmaking ability makes me imagine how special he could be in the NHL if his game matures. With the right development in the right hands, he could become the second best forward in the draft, but without the right progression he could be a player who perpetually tries to maintain a second line role in the NHL without a "B" game to fall back on in the bottom six. I find it really hard to project him. There's a very high ceiling and a very low floor.
He's someone you take if either

A) you absolutely believe in your development team to get the most out of his tools. If this were the Bergevin era and we took him it would be a huge mistake. Now I have some faith we could make him that player.

B) you are stacked on forward prospects and can afford to swing on the upside. A team like Buffalo, for example, could do that.

Reactions: Addik04 and Trabdy2

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
My #9 is Iginla, but I worry he's just prime Gallagher. A great player to have but there's limitations and is that a 5 overall prospect? Great shot, inside drive, good puck protection but the puck handling goes in and out, he has trouble making passes that he needs to make to be a dual threat and can his style of play be maintained over 82 games with his good but not great size?

I don't think it's fair to say Iginla can be "just a prime Gallagher". His shot and skills are kilometers (screw you americans) better than Gallagher. He's closer to Marchand than he is to Gallagher.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think it's fair to say Iginla can be "just a prime Gallagher". His shot and skills are kilometers (screw you americans) better than Gallagher. He's closer to Marchand than he is to Gallagher.

His shot is better but he's not better around the net than Gallagher is/was currently. There's no perfect comparisons to be made, I'm just talking about a shoot first, pretty much shoot only, player, with no real playmaking game and a similar approach to scoring.

I can't get the Marchand comparison where Marchand's playmaking game is much better and further advanced, the puck skills are better and he's got a defensive game/PK game I don't see in Tij currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad