HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
How would we feel if the line-up looked like this - and we assume development trajectories continue for the players in place?

Newhook-Suzuki-Celebrini or Catton or Demidov
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield

Guhle-Barron
Hutson-Reinbacher

This is where Celebrini is in a class of his own to transform our team. Because he would overcome Suzuki next year as 1st line center. This is why I'd be willing to trade for Dvorsky or such 2023 centers in exchange for our pick this year. We need a better center than Suzuki or someone who can become that soon. And one can only classify Dach as a 10-20% probability of becoming such a piece at this point.

Caufield - Celebrini - Suzuki or Caufield - Suzuki - Demidov
Slaf - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Mesar (eventually)

I'm pretty high on Demidov as well, would probably keep him. Catton for a 2023 center, without much hesitation...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Is this considered a deep draft in the 16-64 range?

I'm texting Hughes to acquire one or two additional picks by the deadline.

Reactions: bopeep

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Hughes need to gets more ammunitions early draft regardless of how deep it is. Past the 2nd round it is even more of a crapshoot to have good NHLers.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Not sure yet, I think it's a good draft to have a late first in. I think it may be similar to last year in that we will see weird picks in rounds 6 and 7.

Reactions: SOLR

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I will say that I wouldn't be all that mad if they got Parekh.

His offensive skills are insane haha.

But I think as long as they are picking top 7 they'll get Demidov or Catton.

Celebrini
Eiserman
Dickinson
Silayev
Levshunov

That is likely the order top 5, just in a different order. Then Demidov Catton should go depending on how Jiricek and Parekh are considering at years end.
I'd take Demidov anywhere after 5 and run out of the building

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I don't think this is a very deep year. Several key hockey regions have down or meh years. Russia has a strong crop at the top end, Finland has a couple interesting players, this is a down year for Sweden, Ontario, and Quebec, USHL has seen better, Czechs and Slovaks produce one or two players a year tops anyways.

Reactions: SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There's 40-ish good players is my sense. It falls off middle 2nd round. Last year was middle 3rd round.

2025 looks a bit like 2024 - but probably with a stronger top 15.
2026 seems to be the next stronger crop, but it's a bit early to call it that even there.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The Swedes won a crazy game against the Americans. Zetterberg and Fernström had 2 goals each in the 3rd period, and Fernström assisted on the tying goal to send it to overtime after being down 5-0 after 2. Seems like Djurgården's Linus Eriksson has had himself quite a tournament. Had 6 points in 3 games coming into today, and he scored today off a nice feed from Ferny.

Sahlin Wahlenius has looked better than Freij today.

Interestingly, Liam Danielsson and Simon Zether are not on the team.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He's my guy. Having him, Dach and Slaf in our top 6 going forward would be a god send. It would be a great mix of size and skill

Agree. If we can't get our hands on one of Celebrini, Eiserman, Catton or Demidov. (Which is unlikely right now).

Lindstrom would be very nice. I think MBN too would be a pretty nice fit to our prospect pool but i dont want to withstand the talks and absurdities we will hear if he is our pick, especially if we pick him over a 5foot9 player killing a junior league with dipsy doodle.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Overager who will draw attention at the WJCs IMO is Jesse Pulkkinen. 6'6 late 2004 LD who skates like the wind and seems to have figured things out at least at the U20 level. He'll be a later round pick, but yeah would be very surprised if he slips through the draft.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Helenius finished with one assist in today's U20 5 nations game, which by my count puts him at 5 points for the 4 games (1 goal against Slovakia, 1+2 against Czechia, 1 assist against Sweden today). Hemming had 6 points in 4 games (1 goal against Czechia, 2 assists against Slovakia, and 1+2 against Suisse).

Helenius and Pulkkinen were the only draft eligible players today who did anything good. Konsta is really crafty, he managed to really manipulate defences today. Quiet game for Hemming. This is the only game that I've paid attention to Pulkkinen, but he's a player, if a longshot, IMO.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Helenius finished with one assist in today's U20 5 nations game, which by my count puts him at 5 points for the 4 games (1 goal against Slovakia, 1+2 against Czechia, 1 assist against Sweden today). Hemming had 6 points in 4 games (1 goal against Czechia, 2 assists against Slovakia, and 1+2 against Suisse).

Helenius and Pulkkinen were the only draft eligible players today who did anything good. Konsta is really crafty, he managed to really manipulate defences today. Quiet game for Hemming. This is the only game that I've paid attention to Pulkkinen, but he's a player, if a longshot, IMO.
I take it Helenius is your curent year Lekkerimaki?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I take it Helenius is your curent year Lekkerimaki?

I wasn't that high on Lekkerimäki at this time in his draft year, but with hindsight sure, about that rank. I feel comfortable with Helenius starting somewhere around 9 or 10 or so.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Alright stack the cupboards with more ammunition we need Catton
How do you feel Catton compares to Cooley or Smith in terms of upside? Similar or would he be slightly lower.

I think we really need a 1C that's an upgrade on Suzuki so we can run Celebrini/Catton and Dach going forward.

I'd be down with Demidov too, but I feel a true 1C would make our team so much more complete.

Reactions: Nevins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad