HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I've really enjoyed watching MBN, but he's just not getting on the scoresheet. 1 assist in 10 games.

Liiga has detailed skating data, including top speed and meters travelled and Helenius actually comes out pretty well. Top 30 for distance per game among Liiga forwards, and quite commonly the most skated on his team. He covers a lot of ice. He actually has the higher measured top speed compared with Hemming, but I think Hemming is faster. Over the course of the season he'll probably register a higher top speed at some point. 35.93km/h for Helenius, 35.24 for Hemming.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I've really enjoyed watching MBN, but he's just not getting on the scoresheet. 1 assist in 10 games.

Liiga has detailed skating data, including top speed and meters travelled and Helenius actually comes out pretty well. Top 30 for distance per game among Liiga forwards, and quite commonly the most skated on his team. He covers a lot of ice. He actually has the higher measured top speed compared with Hemming, but I think Hemming is faster. Over the course of the season he'll probably register a higher top speed at some point. 35.93km/h for Helenius, 35.24 for Hemming.
Damn, why can't all leagues do that.

Or you know, just an on ice combine.

But those are really interesting stats.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Damn, why can't all leagues do that.

Or you know, just an on ice combine.

But those are really interesting stats.

I agree, it gives us some objective understanding of just how fast these guys are. As our absolute reference, McDavid has been measured at 41km/h. Browsing the rest of the stats for junior aged players:

Joakim Kemell 37.08
Juraj Slafkovsky 38.77
Juuso Pärssinen 34.49
Brad Lambert 38.27
Ville Koivunen 33.70
Joni Jurmo 38.84
Jani Nyman 34.13
Otto Salin 33.73
Anton Lundell 35.29
Roni Hirvonen 34.88
Aatu Räty 32.65
Kasper Halttunen 34.13
Samuel Helenius 36.00
Matias Maccelli 35.66 (year after 36.43)
Mikael Pyyhtiä 35.83
Jesse Nurmi 37.62
Aleksanteri Kaskimäki 35.64

Last edited:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I agree, it gives us some objective understanding of just how fast these guys are. As our absolute reference, McDavid has been measured at 41km/h. Browsing the rest of the stats for junior aged players:

Joakim Kemell 37.08
Juraj Slafkovsky 38.77
Juuso Pärssinen 34.49
Brad Lambert 38.27
Ville Koivunen 33.70
Joni Jurmo 38.84
Jani Nyman 34.13
Otto Salin 33.73
Anton Lundell 35.29
Roni Hirvonen 34.88
Aatu Räty 32.65
Kasper Halttunen 34.13
Samuel Helenius 36.00

So Slaf actually has a higher top end speed than Lambert? That's actually surprising. And impressing for such a big guy.

Joni Jurmo is a mystery. How can you be that big and fast and not even manage to produce at the Liiga level lmfao.

So back to the 2024 draft, Hemming and Helenius are both of average speed. Not great for smaller Helenius. I wonder how this would compare to Benson's top end speed, another small guy who's main knock was that he wasn't fast enough for his height.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So Slaf actually has a higher top end speed than Lambert? That's actually surprising. And impressing for such a big guy.

Joni Jurmo is a mystery. How can you be that big and fast and not even manage to produce at the Liiga level lmfao.

So back to the 2024 draft, Hemming and Helenius are both of average speed. Not great for smaller Helenius. I wonder how this would compare to Benson's top end speed, another small guy who's main knock was that he wasn't fast enough for his height.

The sample is still too small to say how fast Hemming and Helenius are, I think. Over a longer sample they will get more opportunities to open up the throttle. But it gives us some idea of how fast is ''fast.''

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
The sample is still too small to say how fast Hemming and Helenius are, I think. Over a longer sample they will get more opportunities to open up the throttle. But it gives us some idea of how fast is ''fast.''
You're right. 13ish games isn't nothing but we'll have a better idea by the end of the year.

Hemming is intriguing but I doubt we'll be in a position to draft him unless we add another 1st unless we get Vezina Allen for the whole year or something. And if we add a 1st it most likely will be too late.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I haven't seen him play yet, but what's the knock on Tij Iginla? He has very impressive stats for a draft eligible player...and he's young too with an August birthday.

12 Goals and 7 assists in 11 games for Kelowna

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I haven't seen him play yet, but what's the knock on Tij Iginla? He has very impressive stats for a draft eligible player...and he's young too with an August birthday.

12 Goals and 7 assists in 11 games for Kelowna

He wasn't good last year, so people are wondering if he's good or just on a heater.

Reactions: HuGort and FrankMTL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched Levshunov's game from Friday, was impressive offensively again. I'm behind on getting vids up for the draft. I also have to finish the USNDTP game vs Cornell last night, should have it up tomorrow hopefully. Hutson with 3 pts, Esierman had 2 goals.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Slaf has great straight line speed. People think he's a slow skater because his stride is long and powerful instead of speedy movement.

He is just slow while skating with the puck.

You can see the speed when he is forechecking but he has not shown any ability at all to carry the puck or make plays at speed,

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Top 15 for sure, top 10 likely. Another strong showing, scored 2 goals, Ill post a video of this game in the upcoming days.. Kid is really good.
Are you not concerned about the tunnel vision? People are saying he lacks hockey sense. I haven’t got around to watching him yet.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I have a feeling that Washington is getting 1OA this year. Pittsburgh during the McKenna draft. It's like god damn clockwork that the same teams hit on superstars, around the time their current ones are aging out. Edmonton obviously had to wait awhile, but they in the span of my lifetime have had ridiculous talent, compared to my Habs.

Edmonton - Gretzky > McDavid
Pittsburgh - Lemieux > Crosby > McKenna
Chicago - Kane > Bedard
Washington - Ovechkin > Celebrini

Reactions: Shred

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Early signs show that there are some very good players at the top this year. Top 5 should give you a great franchise forward.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Demidov or Catton should very likely to be available. It's awhile to go but right now Celebrini Eiserman Dickinson Levshunov should go top 4 in some order
I’ve posted this before, but if Dickinson is available, we would be crazy not to draft him. He is a much, much better prospect that Mailloux, Reinbacher or Hutson.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad