2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
My ideal scenario is Celebrini at #1, obviously, but also Tampa just missing the playoffs and ‘winning’ the lottery, dropping our second pick down to the 6-10 range where we steal Zayne Parekh.

Kid is gonna score 100 points as a dman in the OHL this year. At 6ft 180lbs, he’s basically Duncan Keith’s size when you factor in the usually exaggeration.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Tampa just missing the playoffs and ‘winning’ the lottery, dropping our second pick down to the 6-10 range where we steal Zayne Parekh.

Kid is gonna score 100 points as a dman in the OHL this year. At 6ft 180lbs, he’s basically Duncan Keith’s size when you factor in the usually exaggeration.

Their pick is top 10 protected so that is impossible with the tampa pick

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Their pick is top 10 protected so that is impossible with the tampa pick

Oh, damnit.

Ok, I hope it falls to the 11th pick, and every other team passes on him cause ‘not great defensively’ or some nonsense.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It's not really the place of anyone here to comment on Connelly's history as it's mostly a lot of hearsay. Things that happened so long ago it's no longer relevant, situations without context, etc.

He could be a bad guy. Or he's a kid with a bad upbringing that needs counselling and therapy.

It's up to teams to do their due diligence, but the rest of us don't have the means of looking into any further.

This isn't a Mitch Miller situation.
No we don't but the reporter who did the reporting does. Its not just "hearsay".

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m not clear on this theoretical — assuming for argument’s sake the pick isn’t protected, if TB misses the playoffs and wins the lottery, does that count towards our total of permissible move-ups, or theirs?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m not clear on this theoretical — assuming for argument’s sake the pick isn’t protected, if TB misses the playoffs and wins the lottery, does that count towards our total of permissible move-ups, or theirs?
Yeah that I'm not sure of. It definitely doesn't count against ours. I know that. Unsure if it counts towards theirs. Would seem illogical to count against theirs.

Edit: Now I can't find it but I'm almost certain I read it was our own pick moving up was the limitation

Reactions: hawksrule

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
That reminds me of something like when the whole class wouldn't get a prize because somebody else was loud in the class, I can't control the other person so why am I getting punished for it.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
So I was wrong. It would affect us.

(3) Limit on Teams Winning a Lottery DrawNo single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning aLottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period. This limitation will not affect aClub’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude thepossibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason ofwinning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No we don't but the reporter who did the reporting does. Its not just "hearsay".
I get that, but she provided quotes and anecdotes with minimal context.

For example, she cited that he tripped a kid in line during practice. What's their history or relationship? Is that kid's parents among the parents that harassed Connelly?

We don't know, because the report doesn't say.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

For example, she cited that he tripped a kid in line during practice. What's their history or relationship? Is that kid's parents among the parents that harassed Connelly?

I mean you're just picking a choosing to be unsure. There is a laundry list of stuff. Some with substantial quotes/interviews. When there is smoke there is fire. The amount of stuff there is enough for me.

Maybe he's grown up and learned. My personal thoughts/life experiences seem to point towards.. "I doubt it"

Regardless, this team does not need to be anywhere near a player like this right now.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Their move up not ours.
(3) Limit on Teams Winning a Lottery DrawNo single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning aLottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period. This limitation will not affect aClub’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude thepossibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason ofwinning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.

Bolded would mean it would affect us.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Eiserman with two more goals today.

My updated draft rankings;

1. Celebrini
2. Eiserman
3. The Russian monster.

After those three you're looking at second tier players.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Nope. Don’t care about the swastika. I can get past that. Kids being kids. Show growth and apologize.He’s had 5+ other instances of stuff and he also urinated on another kids things: absolutely no thanks.

Yeah the thing with Connelly is it’s several instances of bad judgment.

The Blackhawks can’t afford the PR disaster it would be drafting that kid.

I really don’t give a s*** how talented he might be.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

You don’t want this kid on the Blackhawks. Trust me. And it’s more than a couple incidents or hearsay.

I’ll leave it at that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Bolded would mean it would affect us.
Ha I'm not a lawyer but I have the opposite take away from reading that.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
My only hope is if he's available for the Tampa pick that the Hawk brass have done their due diligence and are brave enough to pick him if they have ruled out that he is indeed a bad apple with no room for redemption and don't just avoid him due to public opinion and the fear of bad press.

Reactions: Space umpire

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
If you post something on your snapchat you aren't just a "viewer." He actively took a picture of the swastika and posted it because, assumedly, he found it funny. So to say he's just a passive bystander is incorrect, he actively took part in the activity of finding a swastika funny.

We can talk all day about what the line is, but between that and the other incidents, it's certainly a pattern of behavior. Why would we want that on the Hawks, an organization that already has enough off-ice issues as is?

Even if the guy never gets drafted and becomes a used car salesmen or something, the fate he was condemned to is to live like the rest of us. It's not like he's going to jail. His "cancellation" is just becoming another dude. The horror.
Enough off-ice issues?

That's Beach, not some new sh!t that I am not aware of.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Enough off-ice issues?

That's Beach, not some new sh!t that I am not aware of.
Perry situation. Patrick Kane cabby/sexual assault situations. Beach situation. Akim Aliu situation. The consternation over the Blackhawks logo is ongoing. Obviously the degree of relevance and magnitude for each of these wildly varies, but it's not like the franchise is going to get any good will on any type of off-ice issue here, and deservedly so.

I'm not trying to debate the veracity of any of these, just saying that they exist and still affect the Blackhawks in some way, shape, or form.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You don’t want this kid on the Blackhawks. Trust me. And it’s more than a couple incidents or hearsay.

I’ll leave it at that.
I'm not advocating for the Blackhawks to draft him.

I've hardly seen him play.

My stance on his situation is separate from what I think of him as a player (for which I don't have much of an opinion on at this point in time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad