2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Boqvist really wasn't even a good skater. Ever. I don't think anyone in here preferred Bouchard, but I thought I remember people asking for Dobson. I liked Kravtsov so what do I know.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
He was agile, but he wasn't quick or fast. He needed to be all three.
He never transitioned the puck through the neutral zone with skating, like really ever even as a prospect. Just wasn't really his strength at all and not being explosive certainly doesnt help

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Future Hawk Celebrini with 2 goals + 2 assists last night. Just making a mockery of college hockey as a true 17 year old.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Boqvist really wasn't even a good skater. Ever. I don't think anyone in here preferred Bouchard, but I thought I remember people asking for Dobson. I liked Kravtsov so what do I know.
I never liked the pick because of his skating issues. I was hoping Hughes would be there and when he went off the board, I wanted Wahlstrom, who hasn't done anything either. Oh well...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I was all in Dobson, because of that next layer of Dmen, he was the only one good defensively. I also didn't want Wahlstrom, I know some here did but he seemed too 1 note to me.

Not to toot my own horn, I also wasn't into the Q Hughes hype. I recall desire of him after the WC where he played with Kane and got praised. But I was wrong to not be into him

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
I liked the Boqvist pick at the time and still like it now. He was the best skater between Dobson, Bouchard, and himself, and I thought he had the best offensive tools as well.
Think he wouldve turned out a decent bit better overall if his development didn't line up flush with Colliton's promotion.
I would disagree. Boqvist had odd skating style where he almost brought one leg in air at 90 degrees. Like the way figure skaters enter ice surface. He almost always seemed out of breath and I wondered if conditioning issue. Yes he scored some beautiful goals but Dobson and Bouchard had the size to go with the offense. Stan and crew sold him as the new wave of d-men and in fact followed up with Beaudin as 2nd pick first round. Disaster.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
If the Hawks end up with 3 and don't take Eiserman I advocate kicking the tires on what it would take to get Askarov.

Guys been incredible.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I read this piece on the Athletic on Connelly.
It's a tough call ... it would appear he's had his bouts with animosity directed towards him from parents and other players ( hazing etc. ).
He certainly has a number of allegations against him ( not all substantiated ) however and so the burden of proof is at least potentially there for consideration.
I would do my due diligence on him if I were the Hawks. Today's age is a tough one to navigate what with the range from political correctness to virtue signalling all over social media.
He certainly has expressed his regret of the actions he admits to have committed.
My only fear is the Hawks given the Beach incident won't take a chance on a kid who comes with bad press ( this with the caveat that the press isn't always putting forth a wholly accurate portrayal of the truth ).
The PC police are coming after people who post swastikas on their snapchat. What has the world come to?

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I liked the Boqvist pick at the time and still like it now. He was the best skater between Dobson, Bouchard, and himself, and I thought he had the best offensive tools as well.
Think he wouldve turned out a decent bit better overall if his development didn't line up flush with Colliton's promotion.
Bowman wanted Quinn Hughes, unfortunately he wasn’t available, Noah Dobson or Adam Boqvist? Oh well

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Bowman wanted Quinn Hughes, unfortunately he wasn’t available, Noah Dobson or Adam Boqvist? Oh well
I think everyone wanted Q Hughes

I would disagree. Boqvist had odd skating style where he almost brought one leg in air at 90 degrees. Like the way figure skaters enter ice surface. He almost always seemed out of breath and I wondered if conditioning issue. Yes he scored some beautiful goals but Dobson and Bouchard had the size to go with the offense. Stan and crew sold him as the new wave of d-men and in fact followed up with Beaudin as 2nd pick first round. Disaster.
Definitely a very bad first round for us.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Still not sure if Hawks can out tank the Sharks, either way these two teams are atrocious.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Connolly is gonna be a tough add with his history, too bad because he is an elite on-ice talent. Boisvert, Greentree, and Hemming could be good picks with the TB pick.

Watching TB and NJ play right now, TB doesn't have a huge forward group. Their D are big but most of their forwards are small to average size with the exception of Paul

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
The PC police are coming after people who post swastikas on their snapchat. What has the world come to?
From what I could understand and this from what has been written is that he photographed the swastika and posted it but was acting more as a viewer of the event and not the architect. It was still a very stupid thing to do but not necessarily a sign of being a true "bad guy".
And my comment on social media being tough to navigate was more in reference to the other stuff that flies around re his behaviour that is not all substantiated. Long story short is it's all to easy to cancel people now adays so don't throw the baby out with the bath water I guess.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
From what I could understand and this from what has been written is that he photographed the swastika and posted it but was acting more as a viewer of the event and not the architect. It was still a very stupid thing to do but not necessarily a sign of being a true "bad guy".
And my comment on social media being tough to navigate was more in reference to the other stuff that flies around re his behaviour that is not all substantiated. Long story short is it's all to easy to cancel people now adays so don't throw the baby out with the bath water I guess.
If you post something on your snapchat you aren't just a "viewer." He actively took a picture of the swastika and posted it because, assumedly, he found it funny. So to say he's just a passive bystander is incorrect, he actively took part in the activity of finding a swastika funny.

We can talk all day about what the line is, but between that and the other incidents, it's certainly a pattern of behavior. Why would we want that on the Hawks, an organization that already has enough off-ice issues as is?

Even if the guy never gets drafted and becomes a used car salesmen or something, the fate he was condemned to is to live like the rest of us. It's not like he's going to jail. His "cancellation" is just becoming another dude. The horror.

Reactions: HawksDub89

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY

You are right. He took a picture with the swastika, but he did not make it. It was a screenshot of a Snapchat. The racial stuff was not confirmed. They talk about him being a bad teammate as an 11-year-old. The guy is wearing an "A" on his jersey in Tri-City this season and there are no interviews with current coaches that say he is a bad guy.

This kid is a stud. If you have Bedard, Celebrini, Nazar, Moore, and Connolly, then you are winning Stanley Cups again with those forwards.

Connolly-Bedard-Kantserov
Nazar-Celebrini-Moore
Hayes-Greene-Lardis
Savoie-Slaggert-Thompson
Misiak-Ludwinski

KK-
Vlasic-Rinzel
DEL-
Kaiser-Allen

Commesso
Gajan

Add this years 2nd's and 3rd's and the future looks good!

Reactions: crazyhawk

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You are right. He took a picture with the swastika, but he did not make it. It was a screenshot of a Snapchat. The racial stuff was not confirmed. They talk about him being a bad teammate as an 11-year-old. The guy is wearing an "A" on his jersey in Tri-City this season and there are no interviews with current coaches that say he is a bad guy.

This kid is a stud. If you have Bedard, Celebrini, Nazar, Moore, and Connolly, then you are winning Stanley Cups again with those forwards.

Connolly-Bedard-Kantserov
Nazar-Celebrini-Moore
Hayes-Greene-Lardis
Savoie-Slaggert-Thompson
Misiak-Ludwinski

KK-
Vlasic-Rinzel
DEL-
Kaiser-Allen

Commesso
Gajan

Add this years 2nd's and 3rd's and the future looks good!
Nope. Don’t care about the swastika. I can get past that. Kids being kids. Show growth and apologize.He’s had 5+ other instances of stuff and he also urinated on another kids things: absolutely no thanks.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Two years in a row, yes. But, three years in a row, No
This is technically not correct.

The new rules are that a team cannot jump up in their draft position more than 2 times in a span of 5 years. If a team were to finish 32nd in the standings and won the 1st overall pick, that would not count towards the 2 times.

So Hawks could theoretically win 1st overall in 2023 (which they did), win 1st overall in 2024 as the worst team in the league, and then win 1st overall again in 2025 so long as they win the lottery and are in the bottom 11 in the standings.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's not really the place of anyone here to comment on Connelly's history as it's mostly a lot of hearsay. Things that happened so long ago it's no longer relevant, situations without context, etc.

He could be a bad guy. Or he's a kid with a bad upbringing that needs counselling and therapy.

It's up to teams to do their due diligence, but the rest of us don't have the means of looking into any further.

This isn't a Mitch Miller situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad