2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalistInfidel

Jan 7, 2013
I'm cool with Jiricek at 20 if he gets the medical pass.

But yeah I think looking at where the D are projected to go, I think there's a high likelihood that the pick at 20 is going to be a forward.
I wouldn’t mind doubling up with rhd at 34 and 54 with Badinka at 34 and either Brunicke or Kleber at 54. Between the two we should get a solid top 4 pairing guy

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Quite the contrary. I feel like it’s brought up constantly whenever we’re talking about a D prospect and it’s usually completely out of place. Just because Kieth struggled and turned into a gem people use his development path as an argument not to be critical of young defenseman.

We haven’t developed a good Dman in a long, long time. As we can see with Vlassic, talent is usually obvious and is noticeable pretty quickly.
Most here would agree that Vlasic sucked up until this season. Wouldn't consider that "pretty quickly".

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Quite the contrary. I feel like it’s brought up constantly whenever we’re talking about a D prospect and it’s usually completely out of place. Just because Kieth struggled and turned into a gem people use his development path as an argument not to be critical of young defenseman.

We haven’t developed a good Dman in a long, long time. As we can see with Vlassic, talent is usually obvious and is noticeable pretty quickly.
Vlasic was extremely mediocre last year.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Odd example, Vlasic is 3 years older than Korchinski and spent almost a full season in the AHL after having done 3 seasons in college post-Draft.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Maybe I’m not clearly articulating here. Watching Vlassic this season it’s obvious he’s got a lot of talent and ability to be a good NHLer. Looking back on these past defensive prospects over the years, who among them we saw play had similar optics? Where you can easily tell from watching them they were going to be top 4 or better Dmen?

Olsen
Johns
Dahlbeck
Paliotta
Clendening
Fournier
Dahlstrom
Soderberg
Snuggerud
Carlsson
Krys
Mitchell
Jokiharju
Beaudin
Boqvist
Kaiser
Del Mastro
Allan
Rinzel
Korchinski

…looking back on it, Jokiharju probably had one of the better stretches in the big league here. The newest guys it’s hard to gauge much and I don’t watch minor league hockey at all. Korchinski looks like he belongs here for sure, I’d imagine with age and experience he’ll improve a ton.

All I’m trying to say is we’ve had a lot of “exciting” D prospects over the years but they haven’t amounted to much of anything and it was IMHO a common thing for posters to say “be patient, they’re young, look at Duncan Kieth!”. My argument is that when it comes to pro athletes you really can pretty much tell quickly if they’ve got what it takes or not. The skill is apparent. The decision making and visual comfort out on the ice is apparent. You can see them being effective and it’s clear as day they’re going to be full time NHLers.

We’ve got that with Vlassic for sure and probably Korchinski too, you can see it plain as day. KK is practically a baby out there, I’ll give him some more time but there’s seeds of him being a good NHLer in his game that are easily noticeable. Idon’t remember any of those other guys listed looking close to as good. I think people were just being hopeful and patient based on draft pedigree.

Reactions: ello

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tampa pick is officailly locked in at 20.
Maybe I’m not clearly articulating here. Watching Vlassic this season it’s obvious he’s got a lot of talent and ability to be a good NHLer. Looking back on these past defensive prospects over the years, who among them we saw play had similar optics? Where you can easily tell from watching them they were going to be top 4 or better Dmen?

Olsen
Johns
Dahlbeck
Paliotta
Clendening
Fournier
Dahlstrom
Soderberg
Snuggerud
Carlsson
Krys
Mitchell
Jokiharju
Beaudin
Boqvist
Kaiser
Del Mastro
Allan
Rinzel
Korchinski

…looking back on it, Jokiharju probably had one of the better stretches in the big league here. The newest guys it’s hard to gauge much and I don’t watch minor league hockey at all. Korchinski looks like he belongs here for sure, I’d imagine with age and experience he’ll improve a ton.

All I’m trying to say is we’ve had a lot of “exciting” D prospects over the years but they haven’t amounted to much of anything and it was IMHO a common thing for posters to say “be patient, they’re young, look at Duncan Kieth!”. My argument is that when it comes to pro athletes you really can pretty much tell quickly if they’ve got what it takes or not. The skill is apparent. The decision making and visual comfort out on the ice is apparent. You can see them being effective and it’s clear as day they’re going to be full time NHLers.

We’ve got that with Vlassic for sure and probably Korchinski too, you can see it plain as day. KK is practically a baby out there, I’ll give him some more time but there’s seeds of him being a good NHLer in his game that are easily noticeable. Idon’t remember any of those other guys listed looking close to as good. I think people were just being hopeful and patient based on draft pedigree.
In their draft years, Jokiharju, Boqvist, Rinzel, and Korchinski all projected to have top 4 upside. Mitchell looked like it in his D+1 season. I guess Beaudin too although he was small, not a plus skater, and developing in a mediocre league so in retrospect we shouldn't have expected much.

We're now looking at Allan, EDM, Phillips, and Kaiser as guys that might get there. Although bottom pairing is probably more likely for all of them.

Can't speak for the guys drafted pre-2017 since I wasn't following prospects then.

But yeah I think for the most part you're right about knowing whether someone has it or not. I think cases like Vlasic are less common. Although big guys tend to take longer to develop so there's that aspect.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
From Wheelers updated list...

tier 1

Macklin Celebrini​

tier 2

Ivan Demidov​

Artyom Levshunov​

tier 3

Zeev Buium​

Zayne Parekh​

Cole Eiserman​

Sam Dickinson​

Berkly Catton​

Konsta Helenius​

Anton Silayev​

Cayden Lindstrom​

tier 4

Tij Iginla​

Carter Yakemchuk​

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard​

Michael Hage​

Beckett Sennecke​

Trevor Connelly​

tier 5

Emil Hemming​

Liam Greentree​

Terik Parascak​

Adam Jiricek​

Igor Chernyshov​

Aron Kiviharju​

Sacha Boisvert​

Henry Mews​

Leo Sahlin Wallenius​

Maxim Massé​

Andrew Basha​

Ryder Ritchie​

Teddy Stiga​

E.J. Emery​

Jett Luchanko​

honorable mentions

Nikita Artamonov​

Dominik Badinka​

Cole Beaudoin​

Charlie Elick​

Alfons Freij​

Tanner Howe​

Cole Hutson​

Matvei Gridin​

Lucas Pettersson​

Yegor Surin​

Marek Vanacker​

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019

Couple of guys moved up on Wheelers list now. Couple of guys moved down.
Of the guys he's got ranked in the early 20s, I would be pretty happy with Jiricek, Chernyshov, or Boisvert. Would also be cool if some of the forwards he's got in the teens drop a little.

I'm sure Davidson is also enamored with guys like Luchanko, Basha, and Stiga if they're there at 34. Would really like to walk away with at least one RHD in the first three picks in a perfect world though.

Reactions: Muffinalt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Defenders are really hard to predict and peak later like we all know. Keith, Josi, Hedman even. These guys all took 5 seasons or so of professional hockey before becoming the players they are now. No one should be writing off Korchinski yet.

There are also the cases of guys who just had it right away, like Doughty or Makar. Even Mintyukov this year had a great 19 year old year.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
From Wheelers updated list...

tier 1

Macklin Celebrini​

tier 2

Ivan Demidov​

Artyom Levshunov​

tier 3

Zeev Buium​

Zayne Parekh​

Cole Eiserman​

Sam Dickinson​

Berkly Catton​

Konsta Helenius​

Anton Silayev​

Cayden Lindstrom​

tier 4

Tij Iginla​

Carter Yakemchuk​

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard​

Michael Hage​

Beckett Sennecke​

Trevor Connelly​

tier 5

Emil Hemming​

Liam Greentree​

Terik Parascak​

Adam Jiricek​

Igor Chernyshov​

Aron Kiviharju​

Sacha Boisvert​

Henry Mews​

Leo Sahlin Wallenius​

Maxim Massé​

Andrew Basha​

Ryder Ritchie​

Teddy Stiga​

E.J. Emery​

Jett Luchanko​

honorable mentions

Nikita Artamonov​

Dominik Badinka​

Cole Beaudoin​

Charlie Elick​

Alfons Freij​

Tanner Howe​

Cole Hutson​

Matvei Gridin​

Lucas Pettersson​

Yegor Surin​

Marek Vanacker​

Cole Eiserman at 6 shocks me to be honest. I know the Bob-father still had him high in his last rankings, but he would scare the crap out of me if the Hawks got him. I even prefer guys like Hage and Sennecke to him.

Still can't believe Surin hasn't entered his 1st round. Would love to get him on the Hawks at 34

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It does not seem like the pundits are as in on Lindstrom as the fans.
Hard to have a guy ranked Top 3 that played on a stacked roster, wasn't dominant in his D-1, and was injured half his D0. You're just projecting a bunch of tools. I personally wasn't all in on him for a while now and while its unfortunate that most of his drop is due to injury, I'm glad we will likely avoid taking him Top 4.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't expect Hawks to have luck they did last year. My only hope is that they dont fall which I fear

If they stay at #2 Demidov should be pick

If they fall to #3 then I probably listen to trade offers but ultimately take Levshunov

If they fall to #4,, Honestly a few guys could go there but none are as good as the top 3 guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad