2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I get your point, but I also think you're reading too hard in to his words. He started with "I think its possible'".

Saying you think something is possible and then backing that point up with bullshit reasoning based on nothing isn't reading too hard into his words.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
If they don't up with 18 or deal it for McGroarty in some capacity, if they sign Demidov, I would be quite fine with Emery. Can you imagine having 2 good sized, elite shut down D men to rely on? I know it's not a glitzy pick at 18, but really like the kid.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Draft odds at 2nd oa moved from +290 to +180 for Demidov this weekend on draft kings.

Mccagg seems to think Levshunov could fall pretty far on draft day if the Hawks select Demidov. I wonder if Levshunov gets to pick 7,8,9 Davidson trades the 18th oa +34th oa + another premium asset to grab him. In the Hawks mind, they'd be getting 2 players worth the 2nd oa pick
If this happened, I’d definitely be down. Despite the hate that Levshunov gets on here, he has top pairing upside. I think he can be a #1 D. If you can get Demidov AND Levshunov, you won the draft.

Reactions: Castle8130

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If this happened, I’d definitely be down. Despite the hate that Levshunov gets on here, he has top pairing upside. I think he can be a #1 D. If you can get Demidov AND Levshunov, you won the draft.

At around the 50 minute mark they talk about Levshunov and around the 1:50 minute mark they talk about Demidov. They note that Levshunov has had the same size and habbits over the past two years and really lacks high pace processing speed similar to what they said about Oliver Moore last year

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

At around the 50 minute mark they talk about Levshunov and around the 1:50 minute mark they talk about Demidov. They note that Levshunov has had the same size and habbits over the past two years and really lacks high pace processing speed similar to what they said about Oliver Moore last year

Interestingly they view Iginla as a center long term. Haven't seen that projection before.

EDIT: Yeah turns out he wants to evolve as a center

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I see Tij as a winger just not sure you would want his tools at center rather than forechecking and goal scoring.
I see him as a winger too, but Matthews is sort of that player at center.

Apparently Kelowna plans to use him as their 1C next season so we'll how he looks.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
What really impressed hockeyprospect is that Tij is an extremely hard worker and improved throughout the course of the year. It doesn’t hurt that Tij is a younger player too.

They view Catton as a goal scoring winger with lackluster playmaking. The playmaking is inconsistent and they only see flashes of it. A small highly capable goal scoring winger is much less promising than the 10 players they have in front of him.

Levshunov they worry that he hasn’t improved much at all this season. He plays the same style and they didn’t notice much dynamicism. They view his ceiling as more of a #2 guy. They project him to not be a top pairing guy.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
What really impressed hockeyprospect is that Tij is an extremely hard worker and improved throughout the course of the year. It doesn’t hurt that Tij is a younger player too.

They view Catton as a goal scoring winger with lackluster playmaking. The playmaking is inconsistent and they only see flashes of it. A small highly capable goal scoring winger is much less promising than the 10 players they have in front of him.

Levshunov they worry that he hasn’t improved much at all this season. He plays the same style and they didn’t notice much dynamicism. They view his ceiling as more of a #2 guy. They project him to not be a top pairing guy.
Catton is a very good play maker?

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT

They say Lev hasn’t improved??? The guy absolutely has considering it was a big surprise and jump when he decided to move to the ncaa. The biggest reason pro scouts have Lev so high is BECAUSE how much he’s improved in such a short period of time since Belarus including this year…

The “rawness” of Lev is that he hasn’t had as much time in big programs like the other chl/ushl prospects and yet he has skyrocketed passed them in his development.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They say Lev hasn’t improved??? The guy absolutely has considering it was a big surprise and jump when he decided to move to the ncaa. The biggest reason pro scouts have Lev so high is BECAUSE how much he’s improved in such a short period of time since Belarus including this year…

The “rawness” of Lev is that he hasn’t had as much time in big programs like the other chl/ushl prospects and yet he has skyrocketed passed them in his development.
They're talking about over the course of the season.

He improved VASTLY over the offseason... and then he was more or less the same player for the entirety of the season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They're talking about over the course of the season.

He improved VASTLY over the offseason... and then he was more or less the same player for the entirety of the season.
I've read numerous scouts say his defense improved a lot over the year and even seen some October vs March games that show a big improvement in him defensively in board battles.

I can get the mental part concerns though, his raw development is considered apart of that I like Buoum more but not the crazy Fandom they were gushing with

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

None of EP, McKeens or Wheeler sees any shortcoming in Catton as a playmaker. Most say it's a strength.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Look Hawkshave MANY NEEDS...gettingva top RD is ONE of thise needs...Tgeyvalso NEEEd a big power 2C with 20oft game abd/iror 2 Big power wingers for top 2lines...They Also need an elite skill scorer to with help Bedard on his line and form a dynamic duo up front
..or to "drive" offebse on 2nd kine.
Thec4th need is to solid KD with anotger shutdown guy so that a Vlasic and 2nd shutdown D make the LD very hard to scorexagaobst..Cannot have a Kk gkibg at -39
with not enough offebse to compensate.. Sure KkK shoukd "inprove" with more NHK experience.. but no certainty he will ever be that good defensivemy or even get to projected offebsive ceiling..He wss rushed before hexwas "ready" for the Show.. that is clear..Did they ruin him OR are his flaws exposed and maybe he never gets to star inpactvdman ?

So Hawks cannot solve all 4 of these Needs but they might be able to solve 2 of them with this year's first rounders.

Demidov at #2 and Solberg at #18 solves the ekite scorer need so that Bedard is not the only star offensive threat And solves tge solidifying defebsive need at 2LD plus injecting physicality and warriors mentality in the LD side corps.. You can then eitger pkay Kk at 3LD with a chance to run thePp or you can try homat 3RD off side and move Edm to 3LD ..

A LD side of Vkadic +Solberg+Edm woukd be great in supresdibg opp scoribg and tgexadfitionsvof Solberg and Edm make it much more physical ...

So RD 2RD still a black hole..Murohy stop -gap but we all know must go..Kk at 3RD on hisvoff side can pkay lesser minutes but still be used on Pp till he proves he deserves to be given larger 5x5 role to be moved into top 2 pairing.

Anyway I woukd be haooy with a Drmidiv+Solberg first roubdchaul.

If instead tgey go Levshunov thenI doubt they go dman at #18..Getscthem maybe Hage at C/Rw ...

So I think Denidio+Solberg is a better Hawks than Lev+Hage .

THE PROBLEM with Lev is that offensively he is not that dynamic...skating is very good.. sure ..but offensively does notcrealky take over and dictate the pkay onattack..more cautious once in o-zobe ..passes fron tge bluekubecand shots fron rhevpiibt style..not carrying pucksvin aroubdctgeczobevorcdirextky to the net..GmWill get maybe secondary points..A more linear less creative style of pkay...Defebsiveky still a bit raw..can make read mistakes ..So therecare things he needs to improve on yet together to a#1D ceiling...Maybe getsxto 2RD ceiling...50-6o pints and can pkaycalk situations and bug minutes and has sone physicality but I do nitcsee warrior "edge " to his game .So cones off as moreover a 2 way ok guy but unless he fixes sone flaws on his processing,and gets more aggressively dybamiconattack,theceiking may nevervgetvto a #1D-lecel A ekite dman..Mayvexa 2A level RD or a 1B level D ..but doubtful top ten best RD in NHL ..not ekite top RD.unless he fixes some issues ..
So this is why he does fill ad RD Need but not enough to ve that more important than getting a 2nd left side defensive stopper who is better at stopping attacks than Lev currently is..

I just see more value in adding Solberg to the LD to solidify that's ideal,than the strong floor but ceiling limited Levshunov.

Lev is a B+ offensively and a B- defensively.

Solberg is an A+defensively and a Coffensively..but with tools (skatibg and shot( too more offensively...I think there is more offense there if given the opportunity...His shot isas oodxxor better than Lev's shot ..his agility ity better than Lev's ...it is just that pkaying on a less talented Norway team you play a lot defebdibgvyourczobe..with a better team mand if given the go ahead to lead attacks,maybe his offensive side blooms.
But he us soo goid drensivelyvabd so physical you really want that as 2KD so tgat a 1KD of Vksdic and a 2LDvof Solberg makes it very difficult on the ooosctobscore much on Hawks left side.

You cannot fix everything but you can see that a Demidov +Solberg hail in roubdvobe woukd be better than a Lev +a Hage orcLuchanko option which stoll woukd nit give the Big 2C power Center need-fill ...Anyway thiscis howxI woukd hope it turns out..

Denidiv and Solberg...2cnreds filled
2 -3needs still to fill...Big 2C...and 1-2Big power forwards with physicality...butvget dynamic duobBedard+Denidiv and a much much better 2KDctgan KK ..
Solberg 's shotvis way way better than Kj's.
Jj is a better passe..Defebsiveky JK not on see planet as Sokberg.KK a physical pansy for his size..Has gotctobgetxstribgerxand wi n more battles. SOLBER g wibs battles for pucks,clears crease,shuts down attackers...demolishes then on checks ..KK will BEVER do that.

So dear KD..the opportunity screams Denidov at #2and Solvergat #2.

POSTPONE the RD need till next draft..you can draft other RD later this draftvor in future drafts..You can find vet free agents or via trades to help the RD ...BUT Akso o remember that $9.5 locked in for 6 more seasons.. so no chance Lec can ever be 1RD on this team till thec7th season from now...
This means you really onl can use a 2 RD guy better than Murohy for 6 more seasons...ifvyou do not trade Murohy at TDL 2025 ,or sumnerc2025,then you still can stop-gap tgat spot after hevultinately leaves via adding vets from free agency till you fond a2RD draft sokution..If no goidxRD options in 2925 draft...maybe in 2026 orx2027 drafts...but you have Time because no role for 1RD infusion toll Jones goneafter 2030/31 season...
So we realky can even wait till 2028 draft to start developing our next 1RD in prep for thec31/32 season ..we have4 more drafts before a new 1RD "saviur" has to be started on development.

So realkyvtge RD need is not yet that important..

Sure the quicker Murphy at 2RD is replaced with much better,tge quicker this team rises to competency...but Nobodycshoukdxwaste a #2overall pick ona mere 2RD..

Maybe we get stop-gao 2RD in freeagency this July ...move Murphy to 3RD then trade Murohy at TDL...Get anotger stop-gap 3rd at free agency in2925 or move Kk tgerecif he shows he cN handle that rolebon hisvoff side ?

Ed M has played hisvoff side in Juniors aboutv40%ofvthe shiftsxwhen gecwss inMisdissauga ..they double shifted hom and used him at RD on some Pos.

So whether Kk stays in the show in a less damaging 5x5 role as 3LL or as 3RD or whether EdM isx3LDvor 3RD ,they both coukd bec3rdvoairg rokevguys...If Sokbergvtakesviver 2LD which shoukd becan easy certainty to plug in there andxTRUST ..KK will need to earn coach's TRUST veven for 3D roke 5x5 ...elsewhere will be gone from the show.

Lev isc1 seasonbaeay from "just" the Murphy 2RD role .I think Solberg is just 1 season seadon away from 2LD role..he already looked great at handling men atvthe WHac ..looked already pro ready ...
So given my arguments the Need for2 LD improvement us at least would if not greater than 2RD improvement..

Thus no way can I pass on Demidov for just a 2RD improvement in 2025/26 season when I can get a 2LD improvement by 2025/26 instead plus not bypass Denidoc.

So the path is clear to me on what to do...

Demidov+Solberg are the best solutions roubdc1 can give us.Make it so,KD.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I know the hawks are looking for RD, which why Lev is being discussed, but I would like to know how important people think "Right handed" is to the potential selection of a D in this draft.

I'm interested because I was watching a few Denver games the past couple days and Buium blew me away. Like so much so I'm a little shocked he isn't a concensus top 5(Top 3 if I'm being fully honest and not down playing my thoughts to protect against the possibility I end up incorrect). He is elite offensively, but it typically doesn't compromise his defensive responsibility, physical in front of his own net, and his IQ and skill are crazy impressive. I can't say 100% this kid is going to be a star because nothing is guaranteed, but I certainly think he could be special.

So if anyone in the hawks viewed Buium as potentially special as I do would they pass because he is not right handed or does the belief he is potentially special out weigh the direction he holds the stick?

Also one of Eiserman, Nygard, Luchanko, Connelly, Artmanov, Gridin, and Stiga will be available later so you could easily get a top D early and a great forward later, but that isn't related to this post really. Just a statement that forward talent won't disappear after the top 15 in this draft. Good forwards will be there

Last edited:
Reactions: ello

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I know the hawks are looking for RD, which why Lev is being discussed, but I would like to know how important people think "Right handed" is to the potential selection of a D in this draft.

I'm interested because I was watching a few Denver games the past couple days and Buium blew me away. Like so much so I'm a little shocked he isn't a concensus top 5(Top 3 if I'm being fully honest and not down playing my thoughts to protect against the possibility I end up incorrect). He is elite offensively, but it typically doesn't compromise his defensive responsibility, physical in front of his own net, and his IQ and skill are crazy impressive. I can't say 100% this kid is going to be a star because nothing is guaranteed, but I certainly think he could be special.

So if anyone in the hawks viewed Buium as potentially special as I do would they pass because he is not right handed or does the belief he is potentially special out weigh the direction he holds the stick?

Also one of Eiserman, Nygard, Luchanko, Connelly, Artmanov, Gridin, and Stiga will be available later so you could easily get a top D early and a great forward later, but that isn't related to this post really. Just a statement that forward talent won't disappear after the top 15 in this draft. Good forwards will be there
Buium is third on my board. He's incredible.

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Buium’s gonna be one of those players that people look back on a decade from now and wonder why he didn’t go higher

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Buium’s gonna be one of those players that people look back on a decade from now and wonder why he didn’t go higher

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240624_225811.jpg
    Screenshot_20240624_225811.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad