2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah... that could be #1OA next year... it would be crazy to move that for #3 this year.

If you view Demidov as a franchie caliber winger its well worth risk

Also, if you're a GM looking to actually improve roster you look at it as far more likely you wont be drafting #1

It's a risk surely but if you view Lev + Demidov as franchise building pieces then you should go for it if possible

Bedard, Demidov, Nazar, Moore, Greene, etc up front

Vlasic, Korchinski, Levshunov, Allan, Del Mastro, Rinzel on back end

Very good collection of young talent + whatever we add via draft in rounds 2+ this year and then of course we have Leafs pick in 2025 1st round and two 2nd rounders in 2025 (Stars + Hawks) add in the 3 2nd rounders in 2026 and Hawks still have plenty of draft capital and trade chips going forward

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Also, if you're a GM looking to actually improve roster you look at it as far more likely you wont be drafting #1

It's a risk surely but if you view Lev + Demidov as franchise building pieces then you should go for it if possible

Very good collection of young talent + whatever we add via draft in rounds 2+ this year and then of course we have Leafs pick in 2025 1st round and two 2nd rounders in 2025 (Stars + Hawks) add in the 3 2nd rounders in 2026 and Hawks still have plenty of draft capital and trade chips going forward
It's a solid argument. I just don't agree with doing it. Lots of uncertainty around both of Lev and Demi.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

As most have pointed out. We can improve 20 pts and with this years draft slots, still of drafted top 3. Improving the roster is not going to be beyond a top 5 pick with high lottery odds

ello

Jun 12, 2018
The speaking English is actually a really big green flag. Yes it shows a dedication to playing in North America, BUT also shows a work ethic and willingness to do what it takes to become the best.

Yakupov's English was pretty bad draft year despite playing years in the OHL

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Rinzel, EDM, vlasic, kk, with a 2nd tier of kaiser, allen and phillips. is a nice start for young D. there are alot of RD with size we could take at 18 34 50 67 72 getting a 2 way winger with 100 pt ability is much harder to find then a D man that can keep the puck out of your net. Yes, you need 2 of your 6 D to have some OFF ability but you actually dont want many more then that. emery, elick, badinka kleber, roberts brunickie gill marrelli, t Lavoie alll seem to be in the 25-70 range, all 6-2 or more. and not sure all skate well enough for KD but I know most are considered good skaters for there size.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Rinzel, EDM, vlasic, kk, with a 2nd tier of kaiser, allen and phillips. is a nice start for young D. there are alot of RD with size we could take at 18 34 50 67 72 getting a 2 way winger with 100 pt ability is much harder to find then a D man that can keep the puck out of your net. Yes, you need 2 of your 6 D to have some OFF ability but you actually dont want many more then that. emery, elick, badinka kleber, roberts brunickie gill marrelli, t Lavoie alll seem to be in the 25-70 range, all 6-2 or more. and not sure all skate well enough for KD but I know most are considered good skaters for there size.
Didn't Brunicke measure at 5-10 at the combine? I thought I saw that. It's a far cry from 6-3 and it's possible it was a mistake.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Am I dreaming or did EDM play on his offside in juniors? If he can play RD and pair with Korch while Vlasic and Jones are a pair, that would alleviate so many issues.

It makes #2 easy to take Demidov. Hammer is a guy who I believe played his offside successfully. It should be explored, but it would be tough to throw a rookie into that.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Am I dreaming or did EDM play on his offside in juniors? If he can play RD and pair with Korch while Vlasic and Jones are a pair, that would alleviate so many issues.

It makes #2 easy to take Demidov. Hammer is a guy who I believe played his offside successfully. It should be explored, but it would be tough to throw a rookie into that.
Edm played his off side a bit this year in Rockford

Allan played his off side in juniors

Find a way to get #3 pick to grab both Lev and Demi

#18 + Hawks 2025 1st (Unprotected) enough to entice interest from Ducks?
No thanks

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

I don't think EDM should be playing his off-side and even though he's basically been pushed to his off-side lately, I don't think Allan should be either. Neither of them handle the puck very well and when you're forced to make a ton of plays on your backhand, that will only be exacerbated in the NHL. There's a reason not many D play their off-side. Having Hammer be a monster on either the left or right side was a luxury.

Reactions: Giovi and Muffinalt

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don't think EDM should be playing his off-side and even though he's basically been pushed to his off-side lately, I don't think Allan should be either. Neither of them handle the puck very well and when you're forced to make a ton of plays on your backhand, that will only be exacerbated in the NHL. There's a reason not many D play their off-side. Having Hammer be a monster on either the left or right side was a luxury.
EDM does not have an issue handling the puck at all.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
EDM does not have an issue handling the puck at all.

Yes, he does. Especially under pressure. I don't care that he got some assists on the PP in Rockford. I've watched the kid all through Junior. He's a stopper. On his strong side, he can make a good first pass. If you're expecting him to be able to handle the NHL pressure on his off-side, that's just not going to happen.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Yes, he does. Especially under pressure. I don't care that he got some assists on the PP in Rockford. I've watched the kid all through Junior. He's a stopper. On his strong side, he can make a good first pass. If you're expecting him to be able to handle the NHL pressure on his off-side, that's just not going to happen.
Yeah I’ve watched him plenty and I don’t see that at all, guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Oh I agree it’s not overly feasible but I think we could get close if they don’t like the class and just want to trade out.

Arizona gave up 27, 34, and 45 to get up to 11 in 2022. I’d be curious to see how the pick value would compare to if we offered 18, 34, and the Toronto 1st
Add in UT already has a boatload of picks so they're almost certainly looking for proven talent in their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad