2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Ask yourself this

Would you trade the #7 for #18 + likely 20-26th pick in 2025 and Reichel?
Well they would be getting three first round picks an 18th, a former 17th and a low 20's
Looking at the trade value chart a 7th is 419.42
A 17th is 260.15, an 18th is 248.82 and say a 22 nd is 208.05
So that's 419.42 for 700 +
Now Reichel is not a given but still it's in the ball park.
Now would I do it? No I wouldn't ...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Demidov played in OHL or WHL,his 2 pts/game in tge MHL pace dropsxat least to 1.4 ppg if not lower.. That is the same OHL scoringboace of Lindstrom who was accelerating his pace just before he got hurtcafterx32GP ...So to me you takectge Big Guy..floor =Byfield/Kopitar/Toews=match up 1bC playing 2C...you get a 1b playing C running line...Ceiling is Eric Lindros 2...hevis faster that Byfield is and Toews or Kopitar ever were...better shot too..Next season Lindstrom will probaly get 120 -140 points..dominating...managing boys...donininatibg physically even more

Rather have tgat potential than even another just 6'0Demidiv who even if when he arrives to help Bedard pushed Bedard to 90+points offensively,they both are still going to be around -20 unless tgey can find a defensive winger of Hossa caliber getting them down to a nearness at Zero ..They are never going to get pucks back off biggercstronger morevphysical NHL guys dominating them in board battles and puck battles..

So exciting" as Bedard-Demidov duo (exception PP ) is imagined ,structurally it may not be as overall successful as many woukdvthink.

They will need to outscorectheir defensive issues duecto smalk to average size...never going to dominate physically nor is either really hat speedy ...hockey I.Q and puck skills shotc nd creativity=of course but still issues relating to size and strength which means they can "get handked"with tight and physical checking..I just do not think this is the correct structure to seek..

Besides taking Demidov means Hawks do not think other small skikked pipeline guys=Nazar,Latdis,Kantserov can help Bedard on some line either.. So they think even 6"0 Den8dov can?

I do not get it..

Drafyong Lev makes more sense...BUT ..he is high floor lower ceiling for points and goals than other dmen on the upper echelon of round one ...It is ok to settle on safe and middling 2-way type ceiling...Butcat #2"overalk.?

If we go Seabrook at #14 in his draft Lev seems more like an 8-14 pick...good long NHL career ahead but not going to take over a game .still anything better than Murohy...

If Lev has 1st pairing ceiling,he will not get tfat role with Hawks through 6 more seasons
..with $9.5 ther

Sure ,the talent of Demidov should help Bedard on line 1 score better..but 5x5 defending for both stiill will have problems.

I would rather just solve the 2C need issue with a 1b level ceiling center ..

More likely Lindstrom helps shrimypy wingers( if they use them on his line 2 ways) than Demidov can help Bedard 3 ways...

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
If Demidov played in OHL or WHL,his 2 pts/game in tge MHL pace dropsxat least to 1.4 ppg if not lower.. That is the same OHL scoringboace of Lindstrom who was accelerating his pace just before he got hurtcafterx32GP ...So to me you takectge Big Guy..floor =Byfield/Kopitar/Toews=match up 1bC playing 2C...you get a 1b playing C running line...Ceiling is Eric Lindros 2...hevis faster that Byfield is and Toews or Kopitar ever were...better shot too..Next season Lindstrom will probaly get 120 -140 points..dominating...managing boys...donininatibg physically even more

Rather have tgat potential than even another just 6'0Demidiv who even if when he arrives to help Bedard pushed Bedard to 90+points offensively,they both are still going to be around -20 unless tgey can find a defensive winger of Hossa caliber getting them down to a nearness at Zero ..They are never going to get pucks back off biggercstronger morevphysical NHL guys dominating them in board battles and puck battles..

So exciting" as Bedard-Demidov duo (exception PP ) is imagined ,structurally it may not be as overall successful as many woukdvthink.

They will need to outscorectheir defensive issues duecto smalk to average size...never going to dominate physically nor is either really hat speedy ...hockey I.Q and puck skills shotc nd creativity=of course but still issues relating to size and strength which means they can "get handked"with tight and physical checking..I just do not think this is the correct structure to seek..

Besides taking Demidov means Hawks do not think other small skikked pipeline guys=Nazar,Latdis,Kantserov can help Bedard on some line either.. So they think even 6"0 Den8dov can?

I do not get it..

Drafyong Lev makes more sense...BUT ..he is high floor lower ceiling for points and goals than other dmen on the upper echelon of round one ...It is ok to settle on safe and middling 2-way type ceiling...Butcat #2"overalk.?

If we go Seabrook at #14 in his draft Lev seems more like an 8-14 pick...good long NHL career ahead but not going to take over a game .still anything better than Murohy...

If Lev has 1st pairing ceiling,he will not get tfat role with Hawks through 6 more seasons
..with $9.5 ther

Sure ,the talent of Demidov should help Bedard on line 1 score better..but 5x5 defending for both stiill will have problems.

More likely Lindstrom helps shrimypy wingers( if they use them on his line 2 ways) than Demidov can help Bedard 3 ways...

I like Lindstrom but he's no way comparable to Lindros. Settle down.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I like Lindstrom but he's no way comparable to Lindros. Settle down.
To be fair, one of the guests on the NHL Draft Class podcast gave him a Lindros comp. It’s absurd but he’s not the only one to throw that out there.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
There hasn't been a prospect worthy of a Lindros comp ever. Nothing since the '91 draft.

Lindros was a potential Art Ross winner all the while being the most physical player on the ice and could knock your teeth out in a fight. He was Messier on steroids.

Iginla in his prime was still a tier below. Even then his comp wasn't Lindros coming out of junior.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Lindros looked like a combination of Messier and Lemieux in Juniors. I haven't seen anything remotely like him since. I was willing to trade JR and whatever else it took to get him, back then.

Didn't a number of teams put in an offer for Lindros after the draft? I think Chicago had one too.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Didn't a number of teams put in an offer for Lindros after the draft? I think Chicago had one too.
I heard the Hawks offer was Belfour, Larmer and draft picks (including a couple 1sts)
Idk what the butterfly effect would be but having Lindros and Hasek in the mid-late 90s would have been pretty cool.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There hasn't been a prospect worthy of a Lindros comp ever. Nothing since the '91 draft.

Lindros was a potential Art Ross winner all the while being the most physical player on the ice and could knock your teeth out in a fight. He was Messier on steroids.

Iginla in his prime was still a tier below. Even then his comp wasn't Lindros coming out of junior.

Chris Gratton was being compared to Lindros at his draft and even years later when Flyers went after him as FA he was being comp'd to Lindros with media/etc talking up how Flyers now had both Lindros and Gratton as 1-2 punch

It's a major reason Gratton is considered such a disappointment in NHL

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Chris Gratton was being compared to Lindros at his draft and even years later when Flyers went after him as FA he was being comp'd to Lindros with media/etc talking up how Flyers now had both Lindros and Gratton as 1-2 punch

He could have had some Lindros in his game like you said. But he wasn't next in line to be the next Lindros. Lindros had Mario Lemieux hype.

And yes, he was a bust. He was pretty much a 3rd line center for the majority of his career.

Reactions: Giovi

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Lindros was a Mack truck rolling dudes in juniors and raking. Linsdstrom is neither of those.
100%. Just bringing up that Fiddy isn’t the only one throwing out that comp. I see a power forward who can do a bit of everything on the ice in Lindstrom. Definitely not Lindros though.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I believe we had a proposal engineered by Keenan but Dolla Bill nixed it because of the cash involved, no doubt he had Pully in his ear about it.

Gratton was never considered generational like Lindros.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I do not get it..

..with $9.5 ther

Lol, MHL is a lower scoring league than CHL. He's the first ever draft year kid with 2PPG in the MHL history and 2nd ever amongst all players. And they had that Kucherov kid. I'm pretty sure Demidov would have scored at 2PPG+ in any CHL league.

And don't forget he's 1.75 PPG in the playoffs, vs all those VHLers and KHLers who were sent down for PO.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Hawks offer was Belfour, Larmer, Smith with picks/prospects filling out rest

It was $ that was issue as Wirtz was not willing to pay the amount requested in deal
Yeah, that is my memory. That the Hawks had a deal reached and Wirtz blocked it because he didn't want to pay 10 mil in cash or something like that.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Lol, MHL is a lower scoring league than CHL. He's the first ever draft year kid with 2PPG in the MHL history and 2nd ever amongst all players. And they had that Kucherov kid. I'm pretty sure Demidov would have scored at 2PPG+ in any CHL league.

And don't forget he's 1.75 PPG in the playoffs, vs all those VHLers and KHLers who were sent down for PO.
These are some stretches. Leagues aren't the same decades apart. Still I've never seen highlights of a player from any chl league with frequent awful play like in the Demidov mhl clips.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
These are some stretches. Leagues aren't the same decades apart. Still I've never seen highlights of a player from any chl league with frequent awful play like in the Demidov mhl clips.
QMJHL is getting there. Seems like the quality has slipped pretty far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad