GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread - ESPN , Sportsnet & TVA Sports (Canada) 7:00 - June 28 - 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Prince Harry dressed up like a Nazi and he wasn’t 16 and he’s the darling of the media now.I think we can give this 16 year old kid a break.lol
I personally don't have a problem with a team drafting him. But I think you have to be prepared for some backlash and have all the information ready to explain it. Given their response to the Miller criticism (At best, not knowing things that were public knowledge, at worst, lying about not knowing it), I think it's best to sit this one out.

Also, there are a couple of other issues with Connolly besides the lego thing:
1) Supposedly a bad teammate, unliked and supposedly urinated in a teammate's equipment back
2) Absolutely plays a very individualistic (some would say selfish) game and doesn't use his teammates. There are concerns his game won't translate, that he's Robbie Schremp 2.0
3) Also "supposedly" didn't interview well.

Someone will absolutely take a chance on him, but I think there are better picks for the Bruins.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone get a look at the Russian kid, Surin? Absolutely wild consistency swings, but his top end shifts make it look like there's a potentially excellent player there.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Wouldn't be the first O'Reilly to come to Boston that needs work on his skating but not his heart.
Does sound a little bit like the Taz!

O’Reilly has an exceptional work ethic and tireless drive. He strives relentlessly on offense to reach the net, forecheck tenaciously, and engage physically when needed. Moreover, he applies the same diligent effort in the neutral and defensive zones.

With his keen hockey sense, excellent anticipation, and ability to visualize plays in advance, he leverages his vision and playmaking talents to create prime scoring chances for his teammates.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Question. Why are some reluctant to trade the 25th? If McGroarty is to be had and it takes the 25th to do it then why not? Will the pick this year help the Bruins now? Can't wait 3-5 years in hopes that it's a hit when you can try and secure a former first rounder with a high ceiling, great attitude and a winning record. Seems like a no brainer to try hard.

Id do it. Bird in the hand by all accounts instead of waiting 3 to 4 years for who knows.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Isn't the big knock on McGroarty that he is slow? I have no problem with a big, slow goal scorer like Brazeau and he is only 20 so I would include the 25th pick in a deal for him. It's going to cost more, I would stay away from current roster players.

That said if the Ullmark deal then becomes McGroarty, Kastellic and an overpriced backup it's isn't a terrible, terrible deal, just a weak one
Wouldn’t call him slow, also wouldn’t say skating is a strength tho

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Anyone get a look at the Russian kid, Surin? Absolutely wild consistency swings, but his top end shifts make it look like there's a potentially excellent player there.
He grew quite a bit over a like 14 month span. I think he had heard from coaches when he was younger that he was "soft", and that bothered him a lot. He was a really different player this past season than he had been prior, like completely different, even his stride and stance over the puck he just appears more upright now, and I think confident. I believe his pucks skills in traffic get glossed over sometimes; he's good with the puck around his feet and everything.

I like the kid as much as I like the player. Unfortunately, I think there is a pretty good chance you get a Lauko instead of a very diet Aho. I take the chance though, I love him

Reactions: BlackFrancis

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Skating can be improved. If thats the only possible bad point to McGroarty then he's worth a package from us.

Plenty of natural good skaters never get to the NHL. Plenty of bad skaters fix it and have long careers.

Not enough deal breaker for me.

Besides, Dom said the nock on his skating is overrated.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Skating can be improved. If thats the only possible bad point to McGroarty then he's worth a package from us.

Plenty of natural good skaters never get to the NHL. Plenty of bad skaters fix it and have long careers.

Not enough deal breaker for me.

Besides, Dom said the nock on his skating is overrated.
I tend to lean on the side that skating can always be an element a kid can improve upon so I don`t worry too much about that

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
We have a ton of people on our Boards that really know the young players. I freely admit that I do not.

Assuming we keep the first rounder, I’ll be anxiously awaiting your takes right after the pick goes.

I hope you all are happy — ergo I can be happy.

I’ve made it abundantly clear that I’m still not thrilled with the trade earlier this week — but time for me to put away my hanky and start looking for some positives.

I personally don't have a problem with a team drafting him. But I think you have to be prepared for some backlash and have all the information ready to explain it. Given their response to the Miller criticism (At best, not knowing things that were public knowledge, at worst, lying about not knowing it), I think it's best to sit this one out.

Also, there are a couple of other issues with Connolly besides the lego thing:
1) Supposedly a bad teammate, unliked and supposedly urinated in a teammate's equipment back
2) Absolutely plays a very individualistic (some would say selfish) game and doesn't use his teammates. There are concerns his game won't translate, that he's Robbie Schremp 2.0
3) Also "supposedly" didn't interview well.

Someone will absolutely take a chance on him, but I think there are better picks for the Bruins.
Robbie Schremp. :oops: That just sent shivers down my spine.

3B

Sep 13, 2002
London Ontario
So which USHLer rated in the 2nd or 3rd round are we taking at 25? I'm kidding.......sort of. I would be happy with one of Boisvert, Beaudoin, Hage or maybe O'Reilly.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
So which USHLer rated in the 2nd or 3rd round are we taking at 25? I'm kidding.......sort of. I would be happy with one of Boisvert, Beaudoin, Hage or maybe O'Reilly.
Hage was drafted by the Kitchener Rangers. He was at the rookie camp but decided to go the US. Kid was heads and tails better than everyone of his peers on the ice. Even a couple of older players that played in the OHL the season before.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad