GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread - ESPN , Sportsnet & TVA Sports (Canada) 7:00 - June 28 - 29

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Definitely would not trade back if he were your target, he is very much in play in the mid 20s if the consensus mocks mean anything
1719516568346.png

Yeah, you are right, I looked at these rankings and forgot that mock drafts and rankings are different animals. Teams will definitely decide to draft him earlier than his rankings because of his size.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thank you @DominicT .

I want the Bruins to pick a playmaking Center. It's been a weak spot for a long time. Bruins got lucky with Matt Poitras but he's coming off major surgery to his shoulder & might not be the same when he comes back.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Letourneau would be fun at least. Could probably trade back a little bit if he’s our target. I don’t know why I am speculating with offensive higher ceiling guys, we all know that the Bruins will take the guy with a scouting report of “high floor, low ceiling, but has grit and plays a two way game.”

That's Beaudoin and likely he will be there. I could see Sweeney pick Letourneau because he could say with a straight face he has grabbed a potential offensive force
and temporarily shut up everyone complaining about the deal for a year or so.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's Beaudoin and likely he will be there. I could see Sweeney pick Letourneau because he could say with a straight face he has grabbed a potential offensive force
and temporarily shut up everyone complaining about the deal for a year or so.

But there is a lot of Frederic/Beecher in a Beaudoin pick. Most think he will be a fine NHL player, just probably not top 6

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
But there is a lot of Frederic/Beecher in a Beaudoin pick. Most think he will be a fine NHL player, just probably not top 6

Watching him he is slower than Beecher for certain but has better hands and higher hockey IQ. Has some similarities to Geekie, Frederic and Coyle.

I wouldn't have major issue selecting Letourneau, as he has quicker hands and feet than Frederic.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Philadelphia Flyers are believed to have made an "aggressive pitch" to the Columbus Blue Jackets in an attempt to acquire the Blue Jackets' 4th overall pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, per TSN.

The Blue Jackets reportedly turned down the offer, which would've seen them acquire the Flyers' No. 12 pick in the draft, along with a current roster player and a first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft.

This alleged pitch lines up with other recent reports that have suggested that Flyers GM Danny Briere is doing everything he can to move up in the draft order, something that Briere himself said the Flyers would be looking to do if the move "makes sense."

It is not known specifically what the Flyers would have offered to Ottawa in exchange for the 7th overall selection.

This reported offer to Columbus leads people to speculate that Briere is vying specifically for Ivan Demidov or Cayden Lindstrom, both forwards who will very likely not still be on the board for the Flyers at No. 12.

If this pitch did occur, it also lends credence to the belief that the Flyers are choosing to go in a more offensive direction in this draft, especially since the San Jose Sharks recently made a trade with the Buffalo Sabres that saw the Sharks leapfrog to the No. 11 pick—a move that is widely believed to have been made to acquire a defenseman.

Furthermore, the Flyers reportedly met with forward Cole Eiserman again, and were "really impressed" with him.

While Briere did not specify what direction the organization would be looking to go in in this year's draft, it's clear that there is a specific vision in mind that the Flyers are willing to go to great lengths to try and fulfill.

Make sure to bookmark THN's Philadelphia Flyers site for the latest news, exclusive interviews, breakdowns, and so much more.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here’s my Poitras reach and if they get Lindholm & lose DeBrusk

Marek Vanacker LW OHL

Probably goes very late first to middle of second but he’s good, he’s feisty, and he’s pretty tough

He would be a great pick

Great I just saw Dom’s pick and he has Vanacker- he sees the OHL

Donny there’s your guy

Slight reach maybe not as much as Poitras but the combine after all the ratings were out revealed he played since Nov with a torn labrum in his shoulder

Gotta figure he would have been better and clearly is tough

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Hungus

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Here’s my Poitras reach and if they get Lindholm & lose DeBrusk

Marek Vanacker LW OHL

Probably goes very late first to middle of second but he’s good, he’s feisty, and he’s pretty tough

He would be a great pick

Great I just saw Dom’s pick and he has Vanacker- he sees the OHL

Donny there’s your guy

Slight reach maybe not as much as Poitras but the combine after all the ratings were out revealed he played since Nov with a torn labrum in his shoulder

Gotta figure he would have been better and clearly is tough
Love it, Dan. No complaints from me.

Reactions: DKH

Mr. Make-Believe

Mock

1- C Dean Letourneau
4- LD John Whipple
5- RD Caeden Herrington
6- F Charlie Cerrato
People keep making the Joe Colborne comparison with Letourneau and I have to admit - it's scaring me a bit. Compete level not where it should be. Draft year against competition lower than his draft peers.

Frankly, I hated the Colborne pick at the time as well. For all the same reasons.

But I watch video of Letourneau and I don't see Joe Colborne. I see a kid who would stomp Colborne at the same age.

What's your read, Lou? Concerns valid? Think they're overblown? Or are you just taking the home run swing and hoping to connect?

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

LAS VEGAS — The Bruins own the 25th pick in Round 1 of the NHL Draft, to be held Friday at The Sphere, but general manager Don Sweeney sounds as if he might consider trading out of the spot — and not necessarily for a position higher in the order.

“Unlikely for us probably to try to move up,” said Sweeney, meeting at noon Thursday with reporters at the club’s hotel headquarters, “but you never cross it out because there might be a guy our [scouts] are excited about. But getting back into the top part of the draft was important for us.”

With only three other picks (Rounds 4, 5, and 6) during the two-day affair, it’s possible the Bruins could be looking to move No. 25 for, say, a pair of picks in the second round. Another possibility could be to swap it for a young forward or defenseman, currently under an NHL contract, to provide immediate help for a club that has failed to make it beyond the first or second round of the playoffs for five straight seasons.

Free agency.

Sweeney has some $21.5 million in shopping dollars and a desire to make his lineup “deeper down the middle” as well as deeper on defense, presumably with a left shot in the top four.

Sweeney, unsurprisingly, was vague about the players he would bid on come Monday noon. Asked if he could envision paying one player as much as $9 million or more per season, he only noted that there could be a point where price puts a player out of the club’s range.

“Market dictates,” he said. “If you are going after . . . trying to be aggressive . . . chances are you are going to bump into an area where you are uncomfortable. That’s just what happens, if you’re going to continue to do that. You can be patient, if somebody falls through . . . but deep down, we’d like to improve our club. We’ve been a very, very competitive team and we want to continue to do that.”

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
People keep making the Joe Colborne comparison with Letourneau and I have to admit - it's scaring me a bit. Compete level not where it should be. Draft year against competition lower than his draft peers.

Frankly, I hated the Colborne pick at the time as well. For all the same reasons.

But I watch video of Letourneau and I don't see Joe Colborne. I see a kid who would stomp Colborne at the same age.

What's your read, Lou? Concerns valid? Think they're overblown? Or are you just taking the home run swing and hoping to connect?
Letouneau seems like a much better skater to me

Mr. Make-Believe

Letouneau seems like a much better skater to me
You think so? I thought Colborne was very smooth, especially for his size.

What I couldn't stand about him, was how peremeter he was. If he wanted to, he could have dominated if he just asserted himself.

That's the difference (at least in clips) between him and Letourneau to me. Letourneau will get up to speed and drive the net, going through defenders who don't have a chance.

But that's only as far as clips can take me. Scouting reports seem to paint a different picture. And again it's tough when he wasn't asserting himself against the best of the best at his age. :dunno:

Reactions: CDJ

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
You think so? I thought Colborne was very smooth, especially for his size.

What I couldn't stand about him, was how peremeter he was. If he wanted to, he could have dominated if he just asserted himself.

That's the difference (at least in clips) between him and Letourneau to me. Letourneau will get up to speed and drive the net, going through defenders who don't have a chance.

But that's only as far as clips can take me. Scouting reports seem to paint a different picture. And again it's tough when he wasn't asserting himself against the best of the best at his age. :dunno:
I’m just going by some videos he seems faster small sample size that I watched anyway.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Thank you @DominicT .

I want the Bruins to pick a playmaking Center. It's been a weak spot for a long time. Bruins got lucky with Matt Poitras but he's coming off major surgery to his shoulder & might not be the same when he comes back.
I definitely want a centre and hoping they strike gold like in the past .

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

I think there are concerns with anyone taken at 25. A 6'6" right handed shot center that could maybe grow more, and will prob be 230 lbs is a guy high on my list. I don't put too much stock in the stats because lots of guys scored alot there in the u18AAA , so it's all projection. He's long term for sure, not even going to college until 25-26. There will be more polished players there to take, but I would not mind him at all.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Bruins fans. If Trevor Connelly falls to 25...what do you do?

His checkered past is very public. There will certainly be scrutiny.

On the positive side, he has done some impressive work in diversity, inclusivity including coaching/mentoring kids from non-traditional hockey markets like Latin America and the Carribean. His agent is John Osei-Tutu.

Thoughts?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

On the positive side, he has done some impressive work in diversity, inclusivity including coaching/mentoring kids from non-traditional hockey markets like Latin America and the Carribean. His agent is John Osei-Tutu.

Thoughts?

Boston can't touch him at this point

Mr. Make-Believe

Thoughts?
Hard. Pass.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I hope the Bs view the 25th choice as having a 3-4 year window before it has much of an impact and go for ceiling and development. Think of Lohrei - seen as green and unproven but with a potentially high ceiling. So far that has been a home run.

It is those type of selections that enable a team to finish high in the standings every year and still stay competitive over the long run.
This is a double-edged sword. This was the same thought process when they picked Senyshen, IIRC.

Reactions: Fenian24

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Thoughts?
One million percent pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad