2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Horton, one of the league's premiere net-front players when healthy, has been beset by a myriad of injuries in recent years and began this year on the shelf. On Tuesday, during an Insider Trading segment on TSN, Bob McKenzie shed light on the nature of Horton's injury, his lack of progress, and some of the options available to the Welland, Ont., native:

Herniated discs are a notoriously difficult injury to treat, as emergency-room doctor and hockey blogger Jo Innes explained exhaustively here. The key thing to remember in Horton's case is surgery isn't a guaranteed fix, and in some cases can make a herniated disc even worse. Ideally, you just do physio, rest up, do your best to treat the injury and hope for the best.

Or, as Blue Jackets president John Davidson put it during a recent appearance on the "Marek vs. Wyshynski" podcast, "It may take a month, it may take six months, it make take a year. Who knows with backs?
Yeah this is the article I referenced in my second paragraph. If Lindstrom had that type of hermetic disc, I think we’d know.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Who do you want to draft, KJ Dangler?
Mind isn’t totally made up.. if we stick at 4 ? Probably Demidov assuming he’s available .. Possibly Sennecke as well, he’s now nearly 6ft 3 , and may have best hands in draft with Demidov … We may be able to trade with Utah and still land him there … After that , Biuum or Dickinson . Lots of quality in this draft … Back injuries make me extremely nervous with hockey players .

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not gonna blame anyone for seeing ghosts with the horton stuff, but it's worth noting that a lot of players in the NHL have either come back from back injuries or effectively managed chronic back conditions.

obviously jenner is a prime example, but i'm pretty sure barkov had something similar earlier in his career too.

Reactions: Viqsi

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Pretty sure it's nothing but speculation. I can't imagine us actually trying to do that.
I sure hope so, I don't see how a trade like that would do anything but stretch out the rebuild.

EDIT: Unless it's something crazy like, I don't know, Laine + Provorov 50 % retained + CBJ's 2nd to Utah for #6 in the event that Sennecke is still there, but I really doubt it.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I haven’t studied any film on these players. My knowledge is less extensive than many here as it’s based on scouting reports and analysis by draft wonks. I don’t know the extent of Lindstrom’s back problems but it’s a concern - a question mark big enough to not select him unless the FO is convinced he’s just behind Celebrini.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Would you ? We heard rumors of compress fracture , and just today herniated disc . Patrice Bergeron just had this end his career …
After 20 long years of NHL hockey. Comparing Lindstrom's back issue to anyone else's back issue on a message board is great theater, but there really is no comparison. We Do Not Know. I don't like any injury of a player coming in at 18, but with all the focused training and year long drive, these are more prevalent and today's medicine is also much more advanced than even a few years ago. There is not one single herniated disc condition and recovery. Doctors will have all access to medical records and the players. If they deem him an acceptable risk, I think Columbus would be foolish not to add him.

We've spent over 2 decades trying to build the center position. For the first time in history we are adding depth and could be adding another cornerstone piece that would a bitch to play against in the top 9. Fantilli, Lindstrom, Voronkov, Sillinger, Del bel Belluz, hell, Brindley supposedly could play center. Doesn't even consider KJ as a center (which I would like to see as well). Flexibility is great. Add Centers and move them to wing instead of the historical CBJ way of adding Wings and try to teach them center.

If he checks out and meds look good. No brainer in my book.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wasn't there some guy on Vegas that had a disc issue? What was his name? I think he even had some radical surgery?

Seriously, I'm not trying to downplay the back injury. I'm on board it's a concern when you hear it but a shoulder injury, hip injury, back injury... all are concerns. Due diligence and then determine. The tea leaves appear to be pointing to this is much less of an issue.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Wasn't there some guy on Vegas that had a disc issue? What was his name? I think he even had some radical surgery?

Seriously, I'm not trying to downplay the back injury. I'm on board it's a concern when you hear it but a shoulder injury, hip injury, back injury... all are concerns. Due diligence and then determine. The tea leaves appear to be pointing to this is much less of an issue.
I think Eichel's was in the neck, not the back

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Holy baritone

5:55 the dinner with CBJ is brought up, but he doesn't disclose anything other than them wanting to get to know him better

Went to dinner with Utah as well.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Holy baritone

5:55 the dinner with CBJ is brought up, but he doesn't disclose anything other than them wanting to get to know him better

Went to dinner with Utah as well.

Reminds me even more of Kent Johnson. Like how is that huge deep voice coming out of that body that looks like it’s made of twigs and twine?

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think I've found my favorite C prospect of this class.

To be clear, not favorite because I think he should be the highest ranked C in the draft but more because he seems to have so many of the valuable attributes our forward group has been lacking, just based on that video. Looks like a high-effort, high defensive IQ, big, strong, fast, explosive center who plays in the interior and is solid with faceoffs (55.1% which was best on his team this year).

I might like the idea of taking him with a top-20 pick and some other guy with another pick than I like selecting Lindstrom at 4.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think I've found my favorite C prospect of this class.

To be clear, not favorite because I think he should be the highest ranked C in the draft but more because he seems to have so many of the valuable attributes our forward group has been lacking, just based on that video. Looks like a high-effort, high defensive IQ, big, strong, fast, explosive center who plays in the interior and is solid with faceoffs (55.1% which was best on his team this year).

I might like the idea of taking him with a top-20 pick and some other guy with another pick than I like selecting Lindstrom at 4.

1718476150557.png

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It would be kind of fun to fire Jarmo and trade Laine while drafting Helenius and Miettinen/Pulkkinen in the 2nd and then maybe Sebastian Soini in the third. Our Finnish friends would all wonder what is going on in Columbus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It would be kind of fun to fire Jarmo and trade Laine while drafting Helenius and Miettinen/Pulkkinen in the 2nd and then maybe Sebastian Soini in the third. Our Finnish friends would all wonder what is going on in Columbus.

Jarmo was never partial to Finns.

And in any case, he and Ville Siren are still our scouts! Don Waddell is not drawing up a draft ranking.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad