GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not sure why you wouldn't use the 2nd round pick this season. You get an 18 year old in the development process a year earlier and it is hard to get much higher in round 2. Unless there is no one you really like--which seems unlikely that early--you need to use it.
However, they also need to balance the timing. If adding another were deemed to crowd the development of may also be a decision to push it out a year. I hope they keep it but I think a lot might depends on trades in the draft floor in round 1 or before.

Reactions: squashmaple

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And that would be dirty pool. Don't overthink it. It goes to Philly or they use it.
Why would that be dirty pool? They choose which pick to move. Once done the deal is complete. It's Columbus choice, not Philly's, so they can do what they want with the pick they keep. I'd be so for keeping 36 and then deciding that's higher value and trade it for a piece they want. Hell, I'd even see if Philly wants it if they had something we had interest in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This will unfortunately blend two threads, but I thought more relevant here. I listened to the newest Pod of NHL Draft Class and they had Nick Smith on (handles OHL for Central Scouting I believe). He made an interesting comment that I found relevant to the discussions hear. He made the skill set comparison of Sennecke to Necas. Suggested all world hands and skill and just needs to fill out.

So...with the discussion of CBJ taking Sennecke and Lindstrom to dinner, it would seem to suggest they like both players and skill sets (different between them), if we were to draft Lindstrom and trade for Necas, I could see that being an option to influx the high end talent and get the higher value position of center. I've read that many feel Lindstrom was on his way to showing he would likely be a 1C candidate before injury, so barring that outcome (see herniated disc above), it will be interesting to see if we do make a play for Necas and end up with Lindstrom. I think that's a world of possibility for this team (especially with Laine wanting out - if he still does after speaking with Waddell).

Just some random things that appeared to come together. Found it interesting.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Interestingly, the framing on the podcast suggested NHL teams are very positive about the injury and that he's climbing boards after knowing this...I thought it could be a recurring problem based on limited knowledge, NHL teams seem to think otherwise.
Like Glasses alluded to, I just listened to that specific podcast that came out today and there was no word about that. I'll listen again to be sure, it was right off the start of it they talked about Lindstrom.

Pronman and Wheeler were quite clear Lindstrom is viewed as a healthy player by teams now.
From the same podcast FWIW

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
From the same podcast FWIW
Problem is, that may be partially true . He could be recovered , but the disc never fully returns to pre injury status . There is a 10-25% to re-herniate which I’m sure is why they are holding him out , and 2 drs he has , say most likely it won’t require surgery . Also, no guarantee it doesn’t turn into a chronic issue . This is a player that is up towards the top of the draft for his speed and power , not his hands , and skill .

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'm no medical expert, but to deal with herniated discs that young spells trouble to me. Maybe someone more qualified can weigh in.
none of us are hockey experts and that doesn't stop us from posting on here.

if we can cosplay as GMs, what's gonna stop us from cosplaying as medical professionals too?

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Everything you need to know about a herniated disc.

9 out of 10 people healing on their own from a herniated disc are not NHL players. Kid is in for a career of hurt and a retirement of pain should this be chronic. Big, physical young man can't change up his game...

I've had 2 discectomy surgeries myself. The removed area is prone to more blowouts.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
So I listened to it and Pronman says Herniated Disc like at the very beginning.

“We had some concerns about Cayden’s Lindstrom health. All season. Mostly the second half of the year due to injury. A hand injury and a herniated disc in his back.”

Was asked about the juiciest topic at the combine since they had just gotten back from the combine.

Additional Information stated:

Lindstrom looked fine at the combine. He also participated in some testing that would stress your back and scored well compared to his peers. Team Doctors I talked to seemed a little bit more optimistic on him than they were a month ago. More research is going to be have be done. Wind is blowing back in a positive direction for him. I would be quite optimistic about the chance that he’s going to go in the T5 of this draft. Confidence was at an all time high surrounding Lindstrom coming out of the combine.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Wouldn't risk the #4 pick on an 18 year old that already has back problems, especially when healthy no one suggests he would be a likely superstar.

Reactions: Toe Pick

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Other podcast tidbits dropped:

Iginla could very well be gone before Calgarys pick. I would say 50:50 chance. The 6-10 range seems valid. Tij was telling teams at the combine he thinks he can play C. He thinks he will play C in the WHL next season. If you’re Calgary I’m hoping Sam Dickinson is still around. I can’t see Calgary picking Catton.

Interviewed well: Stian Solberg is someone I heard a buzz on who interviewed well. His name came up repeatedly. He presents well. Legit heard from 4-6 teams that he was impressive. The combine was just a really good weekend.

Mikhail Yegorov: I heard really good things about his interviews as well. Impeccable English. Committed to BU. Great in the media scrums. Talked about his mental game. His mental toughness because he had a tough season with Omaha last season.

Yakemchuk: Was a buzz that he didn’t interview well. The combine week / weekend was maybe not the best for him. Also in the physical testing - there had been some questions about his overall athleticism. In the lower body testing horizontal and vertical jump he was pretty well below average of the group. Now don’t put a ton of emphasis on that given they’re young guys and will get stronger. He’s a pretty talented player but maybe doesn’t present as confident. We saw that a little bit in interviews and media scrums. Wheeler said from his strength coach that he’s not very outgoing off the ice. Not very athletic. Like hockey is everything for him. Apparently it came off that way to teams at the combine.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
While this certainly gives more specific voice to those lingering fears we all have, I'm not convinced it constitutes a rational counterargument.
How so ?

Horton had no prior history of back problems, Aaron Portzline writes. The Bruins certainly didn’t see this coming, offering Horton a contract extension, one he chose to pass on for the chance at a new beginning with Columbus. He signed a seven-year, $37.1 million contract with the Blue Jackets last July, and passed the physical with little issue aside from his injured shoulder.

Then, last fall, his back started bothering him. By January, it got worse. By the spring it got so bad that Horton was forced to adjust his skating style to compensate. According to the Dispatch, that led to a groin injury that required surgery. Three dozen games. Finished for the season.

A career in the balance.

“I’ve tried everything,” Horton said, mentioning the many epidurals, acupuncture, and chiropractors he’s been through. “I’ve seen so many doctors. So many people think they can fix me and they’re so optimistic, and then I get optimistic, but then … nothing changes. It’s so frustrating. I’ve heard from so many people with back issues, and it’s a different thing, the pain. It controls everything.”

Horton is only 29 years old, but hasn’t played a full season in the NHL since 2010-11 with the Bruins. He appeared in only 46 games the following season, 43 in 2012-13. But his postseason numbers in both of his Cup runs with the Bruins were significant factors (eight goals, nine assists in ’11, seven goals, 12 assists in ’13). The image of Horton pouring water from the Boston Garden onto the ice in Vancouver prior to Game 7 will remain a lasting image in Boston Bruins history.

Today though, Horton faces a life-altering decision. He can wait and hope the pain goes away, something that neither he nor the Blue Jackets feel confident will come to pass.

Or, he could have surgery, a procedure that the Dispatch says would likely be a three- or four-level spinal fusion with a titanium rod.

It would certainly end his career.

“For an elite-level athlete, it can severely restrict mobility, flexibility and shock absorption,” Dr. Safdar Khan, chief of the division of spine surgery at Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center, told the Dispatch. “We get our regular patients back to a point where they can swim and be active and live normal lives. But playing a competitive sport — especially one like hockey with the body checks and the hitting — that is not something that’s going to happen.”

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How so ?

Because Cayden Lindstrom is not Nathan Horton, and does not have all the same circumstances as Nathan Horton. That's what makes it a fear. It's not an entirely illegitimate one, but as a fear it's all too easy to overemphasize.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
How so ?

Horton had no prior history of back problems, Aaron Portzline writes. The Bruins certainly didn’t see this coming, offering Horton a contract extension, one he chose to pass on for the chance at a new beginning with Columbus. He signed a seven-year, $37.1 million contract with the Blue Jackets last July, and passed the physical with little issue aside from his injured shoulder.

Then, last fall, his back started bothering him. By January, it got worse. By the spring it got so bad that Horton was forced to adjust his skating style to compensate. According to the Dispatch, that led to a groin injury that required surgery. Three dozen games. Finished for the season.

A career in the balance.

“I’ve tried everything,” Horton said, mentioning the many epidurals, acupuncture, and chiropractors he’s been through. “I’ve seen so many doctors. So many people think they can fix me and they’re so optimistic, and then I get optimistic, but then … nothing changes. It’s so frustrating. I’ve heard from so many people with back issues, and it’s a different thing, the pain. It controls everything.”

Horton is only 29 years old, but hasn’t played a full season in the NHL since 2010-11 with the Bruins. He appeared in only 46 games the following season, 43 in 2012-13. But his postseason numbers in both of his Cup runs with the Bruins were significant factors (eight goals, nine assists in ’11, seven goals, 12 assists in ’13). The image of Horton pouring water from the Boston Garden onto the ice in Vancouver prior to Game 7 will remain a lasting image in Boston Bruins history.

Today though, Horton faces a life-altering decision. He can wait and hope the pain goes away, something that neither he nor the Blue Jackets feel confident will come to pass.

Or, he could have surgery, a procedure that the Dispatch says would likely be a three- or four-level spinal fusion with a titanium rod.

It would certainly end his career.

“For an elite-level athlete, it can severely restrict mobility, flexibility and shock absorption,” Dr. Safdar Khan, chief of the division of spine surgery at Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center, told the Dispatch. “We get our regular patients back to a point where they can swim and be active and live normal lives. But playing a competitive sport — especially one like hockey with the body checks and the hitting — that is not something that’s going to happen.”

Nothing in this article says herniated disc. It says degenerative back problem that may require spinal fusion surgery.

Now I did just read an article that did link Horton to a specific type of herniated disc. Which I’m sure if Lindstrom had, we would know about it

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Because Cayden Lindstrom is not Nathan Horton, and does not have all the same circumstances as Nathan Horton. That's what makes it a fear. It's not an entirely illegitimate one, but as a fear it's all too easy to overemphasize.
Thing is , by no means is this past him.. most players try rest and rehab first …. Long list of documented players where it started out minor , Zack Parise has been more fortunate with his , but he’s not near as effective post herniated disc … With Lindstrom , the hope is rest alleviates it for now , you really won’t know until he starts the grind of a season .. and he’s only 18 years old .

Reactions: Koira

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nothing in this article says herniated disc. It says degenerative back problem that may require spinal fusion surgery.

Now I did just read an article that did link Horton to a specific type of herniated disc. Which I’m sure if Lindstrom had, we would know about it

Horton, one of the league's premiere net-front players when healthy, has been beset by a myriad of injuries in recent years and began this year on the shelf. On Tuesday, during an Insider Trading segment on TSN, Bob McKenzie shed light on the nature of Horton's injury, his lack of progress, and some of the options available to the Welland, Ont., native:

This is a player who is no closer today to getting on the ice and playing with the Columbus Blue Jackets than he was at the beginning of training camp ...
It's believed that he's suffering from the dreaded L5-S1 herniated disc, that's in his lower back. Now there's only a few ways you can possibly treat that. One is with rest and rehab, which obviously hasn't been paying any dividends, the other is with microsurgery that would keep you out for about three months. The other is a spinal fusion, which makes it very difficult - if not impossible - for an elite athlete to come back from. So right now there are serious concerns ... and he's not close to getting on the ice."
Herniated discs are a notoriously difficult injury to treat, as emergency-room doctor and hockey blogger Jo Innes explained exhaustively here. The key thing to remember in Horton's case is surgery isn't a guaranteed fix, and in some cases can make a herniated disc even worse. Ideally, you just do physio, rest up, do your best to treat the injury and hope for the best.

Or, as Blue Jackets president John Davidson put it during a recent appearance on the "Marek vs. Wyshynski" podcast, "It may take a month, it may take six months, it make take a year. Who knows with backs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad