NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Iginla has really really good vision. A lot of his goals come from his passing funny enough. It's great pro vision in that he see's play develop well ahead of time. Will make a pass and go the place where he knows he will get a shooting opportunity two passes ahead, Tons of give and go's. Polished NHL offensive game.

I think a good comparison for Iginla would be JT Miller, just an ultra versatile forward who can pass, shoot, grind and make his teammates better.

I would take him at 7 easy. High floor, high upside player.

Would look great with Stutzle.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
My first and only attempt FCHockey draft sim, subconsciously drafted the Best Positional Need (D, RW) after going BPA with Demidov:

Pick #FCHockey
7​
DEMIDOV, RW
39​
BADINKA, D
104​
PIKKARAINEN, RW
112​
ELIASSON, D
117​
MARRELLI, D
127​
KOL, D
136​
ROMANI, D

In reality, I don't think Demidov falls to #7, but for picks 39 and down I would be happy with drafting Badinka + any two of the other players listed above.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
honestly more than Iginla's shot its his passing that cements to me that he will be a top 6 forward if not top line.

if you can't get your teammates the puck in the NHL you're screwed no matter how good your shot is.

Iginla gets his teammates the puck

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Iginla isn't creative and doesn't like to handle the puck? What on earth :laugh:
if you don't like his playmaking.. which is not a weakness

Things to like

1. High IQ - reads plays , steals pucks, finds holes
2. Tenacious as hell
3. High End Motor that doesn't stop
4. Great hard accurate, quick release shot
5. Forecheck, Board play, Puck Protection
6. Attacks the middle of the ice
7. Break out year , Massive growth to his game
8. Outstanding in the U18s and playoffs when it matters most
9. One of the youngest players in the Draft
10. Bloodlines ; Grew up in the NHL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I want Buium. He is the next Scott Neidermayer.
He’s absolutely outstanding. Poor man’s Makar for me.

In our range I’m hoping it’s him or Iginla

He's very good.. and he is very complete.. He has great edges and deceptiveness but he does not skate as well as either of those guys and its not in the cards that he will.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's very good.. and he is very complete.. He has great edges and deceptiveness but he does not skate as well as either of those guys and its not in the cards that he will.

He absolutely does not skate like Neidermayer no as almost nobody does. That being said I do think Buiums skating is far better than what he is being criticized for.

Once he adds some strength that straight line speed will improve .

He already has beautiful edges and deception like you say

Reactions: Icelevel

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't scout players, so this more so comes from my ability to see the future through fake inside sources that don't exist, but it wouldn't surprise me if Iginla went really high. I could just see someone coming out and taking him higher than he should go.

In a perfect world, he's there at 7, and we can exploit Calgary by swapping 7 for 9.

Our prospect pool is very thin. If we can trade back to 9 or 12 and still get the same tier of player we would have gotten at 7, pick up another 1st, and also pick up a 1st+2nd from Chychrun, we could potentially pick 5 times in the first two rounds.

Reactions: aragorn

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't scout players, so this more so comes from my ability to see the future through fake inside sources that don't exist, but it wouldn't surprise me if Iginla went really high. I could just see someone coming out and taking him higher than he should go.

In a perfect world, he's there at 7, and we can exploit Calgary by swapping 7 for 9.

Our prospect pool is very thin. If we can trade back to 9 or 12 and still get the same tier of player we would have gotten at 7, pick up another 1st, and also pick up a 1st+2nd from Chychrun, we could potentially pick 5 times in the first two rounds.

Why is our fanbase so set on exploiting Calgary with Iginla?

Just take the guy we want at 7. Don't f*** around.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He absolutely does not skate like Neidermayer no as almost nobody does. That being said I do think Buiums skating is far better than what he is being criticized for.

Once he adds some strength that straight line speed will improve .

He already has beautiful edges and deception like you say
Adam Fox doesn't skate as well as either of those 2 either but still manages to be one of the higher ranked most effective D in the league .. So its not a knock. Who skates as well as Makar or Neidermayer ? very very short list

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

For anyone taking anything Grant Mcagg says seriously never forget this horrible take by him with Laine and Matthews

"He’s six foot, 178 pounds, so he’s undersized. There weren’t many six-foot defensemen in the final eight of the NHL playoffs."

Montour, Forsling, Fox, Lindgren, Gustafsson, Lundkvist, Hughes, Hronek, Makar, Girard, Walker, Orlov, DeAngelo, McAvoy, Wotherspoon, etc....

Why is the Sun giving this chump a puff piece?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think McCagg went 2/10 for the top 10 of his mock last year if I remember correctly, think he had Bedard at 1 and Smith at 4 correct.

Had Leonard to the Habs, Mitchkov to the Yotes for sure, can’t remember the rest of the top 10.

Could be wrong without checking, he may have gone 3 or 4 for 10.

That mock is no different than any mock a poster chosen at random from this thread making one. Lots of educated guesses with some personal flair.

He love to toot his own horn though

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I also think Ott trades down to gain another pick either with Calgary (#9) or Philly (#12). I have assumed all along that Calgary wants Iginla & will find a way to do that given they have 28th OA & 41st OA. Philly has the 12th OA, the 32nd OA & the 51st OA.

It's also quite possible that Staois moves down twice ... that could give Ott 3 picks in the 1st/2nd rd which they could use to move up. And he still has Chychrun & Joseph to move if he can get a decent return for those two. Chychrun might get them Bonk RD out of Philly if they can agree on a particular package. All kinds of scenarios can be considered now.

To Calgary: 7th OA
To Ott: 9th OA & 41st OA

To Philly: 9th OA & 39th OA
To Ott: 12th OA & 32nd OA

Ott ends up with 12th OA, 32nd OA & 41st OA
Sennecke RW, Badinka RD & Mietinen LW/Griden RW/Masse RW/O'Reilly C/RW
- Badinka RD is already playing in a men's league & could go directly to Belleville.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There's a lot of armchair experts going on here.

As a staunch defender of internet humility, can I politely suggest we give the pros their dues and admit Bobby Mac's list is way more likely to be accurate than the random opinions we're spewing around here?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I also think Ott trades down to gain another pick either with Calgary (#9) or Philly (#12). I have assumed all along that Calgary wants Iginla & will find a way to do that given they have 28th OA & 41st OA. Philly has the 12th OA, the 32nd OA & the 51st OA.

It's also quite possible that Staois moves down twice ... that could give Ott 3 picks in the 1st/2nd rd which they could use to move up. And he still has Chychrun & Joseph to move if he can get a decent return for those two. Chychrun might get them Bonk RD out of Philly if they can agree on a particular package. All kinds of scenarios can be considered now.

To Calgary: 7th OA
To Ott: 9th OA & 41st OA

To Philly: 9th OA & 39th OA
To Ott: 12th OA & 32nd OA

Ott ends up with 12th OA, 32nd OA & 41st OA
Sennecke RW, Badinka RD & Mietinen LW/Griden RW/Masse RW/O'Reilly C/RW
- Badinka RD is already playing in a men's league & could go directly to Belleville.

I think you can drop the 39th pick in that 2nd trade. Add our 4th if you want.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There's a lot of armchair experts going on here.

As a staunch defender of internet humility, can I politely suggest we give the pros their dues and admit Bobby Mac's list is way more likely to be accurate than the random opinions we're spewing around here?
Not sure there has been any people stating something is happening for fact, not to mention Bob’s own words from his article, or the title of his rankings:

McKenzie's Final Draft Ranking: Many attractive and diverse options after Celebrini​

“This year’s rankings, from No. 2 on, would appear to be much more challenging than usual to assemble because of two factors.

First, there seem to be many more divergent opinions and variance on even the top 10 picks in the draft this year than we are used to seeing.”

“If it’s a challenge to separate and order the top six defencemen in the draft, the same dynamic is very much at play with the top six forwards on TSN’s final list.”

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Not sure there has been any people stating something is happening for fact, not to mention Bob’s own words from his article:

“This year’s rankings, from No. 2 on, would appear to be much more challenging than usual to assemble because of two factors.

First, there seem to be many more divergent opinions and variance on even the top 10 picks in the draft this year than we are used to seeing.”
I just really like knocking people down a peg. It's kinda my thing around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad