Prospect Info: First round pick #26 The environmentally friendly Liam Greentree

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Greentree has a sneaky little backhand. It's the shocker of hand gestures.
His backhand stands out for me. He definitely has confidence in it, using it a decent range. It makes in much tougher for D to control him as he’s happy going either side.

I’ve been reading and watching a lot about him this morning (Uk time) and I like the pick. I don’t think his skating is a huge issue. It doesn’t stop him shifting quickly to get past players and he looks strong on his skates. His speed is ok but looks like he needs a better first step or two but that is definitely fixable. It’s hard to evaluate skating on video, for me at least, as I like to see it live. I also like to hear them skate, as good skaters (& those that become good) produce a different sound on the ice, there’s a crispness to it. Bad skaters that don’t improve tend to sound heavy on the ice, it’s hard to articulate.

At worse he will skate well enough to be a good north/south player, effective on transitions and a strong net driver. That’s not an opinion it’s a fact :nod:.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
GRNNPq_bEAAB8s4

Seems like he has a pretty high floor.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan and ru4reals

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So do we put the pill up now about who likes and who hates the pick so when people come back in 3 to 5 years saying what a shitty pick we made they can really back it up by saying they knew it from the beginning?

I like the pick, big kid, good hands, goes to the middle. Drafted right where he was believed to be taken. Was projected anywhere from 10 to 25.

Let’s see how our Development team handles (wrecks) him.

doug93003

Apr 27, 2024
Not to take away from Greentrees vision at 1:54 but god dam that is shit defense.
He doesn't have the skating to play defense. The bigger issue is he has good mechanics, just lacks the explosive skating required to be a productive NHL player. High hockey IQ, great skillset but slow and painful to watch. To the extent explosiveness can be trained there is room for a marginal improvement but not enough to make a huge difference. Could be productive on the PP if you keep him down low. A bit more physical than Tonya Harding but not as physical as Jeff Gillooly.

The commentary seems to settle on "Could be a steal if". The problem is the "if" is genetic and you're kinda stuck with your genetics. It's not a pick the Kings should have made. It's highly unlikely you're going to catch magic at 26.. The Kings need two way players that have a nose for the little things and play with a bit of sandpaper.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He doesn't have the skating to play defense. The bigger issue is he has good mechanics, just lacks the explosive skating required to be a productive NHL player. High hockey IQ, great skillset but slow and painful to watch. To the extent explosiveness can be trained there is room for a marginal improvement but not enough to make a huge difference. Could be productive on the PP if you keep him down low. A bit more physical than Tonya Harding but not as physical as Jeff Gillooly.

The commentary seems to settle on "Could be a steal if". The problem is the "if" is genetic and you're kinda stuck with your genetics. It's not a pick the Kings should have made. It's highly unlikely you're going to catch magic at 26.. The Kings need two way players that have a nose for the little things and play with a bit of sandpaper.
A lot depends on how he works his lower body, trains in general or just simply it could be man strength . If it’s a strength issue that affects his jump he can make meaningful gains to his first few steps. Overall body mechanics can also make a big difference so strengthening certain muscle groups will change relative shoulder and hip positions making muscle more efficient/effective. It really depends on why that jump isn’t there.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

are you shitting me

that's the last thing we need

any more two way players and we'll be trying to play 0-0 games entirely in the neutral zone

His backhand stands out for me. He definitely has confidence in it, using it a decent range. It makes in much tougher for D to control him as he’s happy going either side.

I’ve been reading and watching a lot about him this morning (Uk time) and I like the pick. I don’t think his skating is a huge issue. It doesn’t stop him shifting quickly to get past players and he looks strong on his skates. His speed is ok but looks like he needs a better first step or two but that is definitely fixable. It’s hard to evaluate skating on video, for me at least, as I like to see it live. I also like to hear them skate, as good skaters (& those that become good) produce a different sound on the ice, there’s a crispness to it. Bad skaters that don’t improve tend to sound heavy on the ice, it’s hard to articulate.

At worse he will skate well enough to be a good north/south player, effective on transitions and a strong net driver. That’s not an opinion it’s a fact :nod:.

To go along with the backhand the thing that looks pro-ready to me is his release, he disguises his intentions VERY well, the backhand gets off a lot slower but is still hard and deceptive....but on the forehand you don't know if he's going to shoot and he gets his shots off WHILE puckhandling and moving his feet. That's been some of our shooters' biggest issues, ie Kaliyev, monster shot but lumbering release that he's still adjusting. His playmaking is the same, he's making passes and moves in one motion, not stopping, thinking, telegraphing and passing, it's often just part of a forehand move.

Obviously he's got a lot to learn but a glance shows me some things that guys usually take ages to learn or don't are already common parts of his game.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
If skating is the issue, whoever improved Trevor Moore’s skating should work with Greentree. And the defensive deficiency, I have no doubt the coaching team can drill that into his overall game. What i’m worried about are the coaches f***ing up his development and deployment. I don’t want this kid to be another Kaliyev. A day later i’m okay with this pick now. Just a little bummed out Kings didnt get one of the 3 players I took a liking too. If anything, i’m just a little miffed that Ducks got Solberg.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Great insights and review / analysis here....is benji from X on this board? Props.

"

If you cannot open this...

I've watched a decent amount of footage of Greentree. Here are some thoughts:The first thing I wanted to look at is his skating. He has decent east-west movement and edgework and once he's moving, he isn't particularly slow. The Combine results verify this- he was top-25 in the agility test. Acceleration is the biggest issue, he has trouble escaping pressure if he isn't already in motion. That said, he's already 6'2 215 as an 18-year-old. Clearly a mechanics issue, some time with a power skating coach will do him good. A concern the Kings might have, however, is if he naturally has a low proportion of fast-twitch muscle fiber in his legs. The good news on that front is it looks like he has good hip strength and mobility, which bodes well for the probability this is the case.Playing for Windsor hasn't been particularly great for his development. It's not a great team, doesn't have a great system, and opponents know to mark him. This has led to some bad habits but also has allowed him to showcase his rush game and leadership skills. As
@OliverFiglin1
pointed out, his next closest teammate had just 66 points, 24 fewer than him! In particular, his linemates' spacing sucks, which leads to his hesitancy to dump and chase and underutilization of the space he creates for his teammates- even though he clearly intends to use it on any given play. Additionally (back to his skating), Windsor doesn't have a strength & conditioning coach and their skating coach didn't play hockey (she's a figure skater), which could be a possible reason why his skating hasn't improved much since his D-1 year.However, he is a very cerebral player and uses his length and lateral movement to control time and space. He controls gaps well and has a knack for finding space on the ice where he is in a dangerous position (to pass or score). Despite his size and acceleration, he is great at thinking ahead of the play to position his body to move in the most advantageous direction. In particular, he is very adept at playing an outside-inside game, starting on the wings and moving toward the middle or starting below the net and moving above the goal line. This bodes well given that he is a bigger player, as it looks like he'll grow to 6'3-6'4, 225-230, similar to Kopi's size. He doesn't use the boards much, but as he grows into his body more, that should change. He isn't particularly bad along the boards, but he just doesn't utilize them as much as you'd expect. He's not afraid to take a hit to make a play, which also bodes well for his NHL future.His hands, shot, and passing are all great. In particular, his wrists look very strong, which plays into his deking style well. Unlike smaller players, who utilize the triangle under a defender's stick, Greentree often uses his length to escape pressure. He's already pretty strong on the puck, so if his skating improves [significantly], it'll be quite hard to stop him. Having Kopi and Byfield as teammates will be huge for his development in this area. If he and Byfield can play on the same line early in his development, they will be a problem. (
@NHLRussell
😉
) Additionally, an aspect of his game that I haven't seen much commentary on is his backhand- it's quite different than a lot of players who use it as much as he does. Combining his wrist strength with the fact that his lower hand naturally grips rather far up the stick, he can generate more power with the puck further away from his body. This allows him to frequently get passes and shots on goal around defenders. Also, he's got some damn silky mitts. Just go watch some of his highlight reels.The biggest concern I think NHL scouts have with him isn't his skating, though. He has a natural tendency to cheat with his positioning (or cherrypick), which they characterize as poor defense. Now, normally you'd think that this is due to the system he plays in and coaching would help, but I believe that it's actually because he analyzes the game a lot further in advance than most players do. On the ice, this primarily means that he gets ahead of himself pretty often during transition plays, which his skating then turns into a liability. As a result, expect him to play as an F3 in Hiller's system, not an F2. I actually think this may be a good thing given the Kings' current roster composition, as he can play with any of the Kings' main line pairs: Kempe (F1) - Kopitar (F2)Byfield (F1) - Fiala (F2)Moore (F1) - Danault (F2)Thomas, Turcotte, and Laferriere all fit mostly as F1/2s.I suspect this may be a reason the Kings targeted him and other earlier-picking teams didn't. Either way, the Kings got a stud.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

I meant shit defense on the opponents defending his rush at 1:54 😂

Reactions: Statto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad